Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Costa bit, was about speaking English, if you re-read it.
Did you say that? or something else?
Linked to the Costa bit about an older player passing on insight i.e. injuries etc.
There are some, not playing for us but, he's here until the summer!!

Anyway, as you said, we're going round in circles

blue-black-spinning-circles.gif
final thing from me on this since i think we've put more minutes into this conversation than kone's played for everton this season.

My point was yes it is beneficial to have a older player to pass on good information, but it depends on the older player. Kone for me hasn't had a great career in football with loads of experiences, where as Costa has won multiple trophies, scored goals at every level and has worked extremely hard to get where he is.

I don't think Kone has / had anything of note to pass on that would be better than anyone else we have here.

Either way gone in the summer so its not the worst thing in the world, i'd rather he just wasnt here.

That's great as a deflection tactic. But you don't address the issue: what was CONSTRUCTED here in the last two windows?

Yes we see the fire sale. Yes we see the squad whittled down. Yes, yes, yes. And now what? When (btw, after £70m has been spent already) will we see a squad coming together? We have a core of first team players now and that's all. Sorry if I don't buy into the "well in Ronny lad...you've really binned off that rubbish lad" whooping that's going on right now, because I can see past that and I look to how friggin threadbare we are.

I think it's been an appalling start to reshaping the squad. At this rate he'll need 5 windows to get the job done...and he defo isn't getting that leeway.

When you look at the squad for next season if you remove those who are getting on a bit and also players like Mori and Lennon who arent good enough for a champions league push were left with this;

GK - Robles
LB - Connolly
LCB - Galloway
RCB - Holgate / Pennington
RB - Coleman / Kenny
DM - Gana / Davies
CM - Schneiderlin / Walsh
AM - Barkley
FW - Lookman / Calvert-Lewin
FW - Lukaku

GK - We need a top keeper
LB - Someone to push Baines out
LCB - An upgrade on Mori
CB - Successor to Williams

So we basically need 4 players in the defensive positions.

We then need one more midfielder as well as a forward. So i'd say 6 players at a minimum and thats if the young lads step up either after being on loan (Connolly/Galloway) or push themselves into contention this season(walsh/pennington etc).

I think its great that we are giving them an opportunity to at least get on the bench and into the squad for next season...

However, We do need to sign GK / LB / LCB / FW of the highest quality in the summer as first choices. 4 top stars and some more young lads as rotation/backup.

When you look at the squad for next season if you remove those who are getting on a bit and also players like Mori and Lennon who arent good enough for a champions league push were left with this;

GK - Robles
LB - Connolly
LCB - Galloway
RCB - Holgate / Pennington
RB - Coleman / Kenny
DM - Gana / Davies
CM - Schneiderlin / Walsh
AM - Barkley
FW - Lookman / Calvert-Lewin
FW - Lukaku

GK - We need a top keeper
LB - Someone to push Baines out
LCB - An upgrade on Mori
CB - Successor to Williams

So we basically need 4 players in the defensive positions.

We then need one more midfielder as well as a forward. So i'd say 6 players at a minimum and thats if the young lads step up either after being on loan (Connolly/Galloway) or push themselves into contention this season(walsh/pennington etc).

I think its great that we are giving them an opportunity to at least get on the bench and into the squad for next season...

However, We do need to sign GK / LB / LCB / FW of the highest quality in the summer as first choices. 4 top stars and some more young lads as rotation/backup.

Mad you Zat lad the way you just pyar swerve every player over 25 bar the boy Seamus.

Okay here's my issue.

Everton has made us look like a right bunch of idiots haven't they. Now i know as a club we are moving forward and to be honest at a pretty alarming rate. With regards to the new ground and whats being brought into the club via new deals and revenue that entails.

With regards to transfers though we have been shocking. We don't seem to of moven forward in this regard what so ever. The summer was a disaster. With regards to players we bearly spent more then the stones money. In january we spent £35mil and recouped say £12-15mil with sales, wages and loan fees? So we spent about £20mil hardly mega money is it.

Okay there is a argument that we dont have to spend big money on players and the squad is looking good. The thing is though is that the club is perpetuating this image of us being cash rich and having all this money ready to blow teams out of the water and bring in all these boss players and...Nothing yep two windows and we still look like the penny pinching everton we were under moyes.

Look at morgs we wanted him, he wanted to come here and united wanted to sell. That should of been 1st or january through the door. On the phone the week before going "how much? Sound. Send him over". Instead we were haggling over 2 mill for about 2 weeks and it cost us a rin in the fa cup. We needed a back up striker this window. Really needed one and what happened? We couldn't get one...absolute crap. We wouldnt pay for one is what it was. Why didnt we just offer them double what he is worth. Get the lad in and prove we're looking to be actual players in this leauge. No we were probaby haggling over 1mill or something stupid.

Fact is if we have the money then kenwright should be removed from negations because he is working to a different modle and its making us look small time. We are being laughed at by them across the park. Absolutely embarrassed by our own clubs inability to handle transfer negotiations befitting of a premier league team. Its winding me up to be honest. I'm sick of it.

Think I've just wasted an hour of my life reading some of the mind-numbing negative comments by the usual doom and gloom merchant(s).

We've got rid of a load of dead wood from the squad, players that were being paid very good wages for contributing very little.

We've signed an immediate replacement for Barry that most people would agree promises to be an excellent addition to the team, plus a good young prospect in Lookman.

An open question for all the naysayers (well, all one of him really) - specifically who should Koeman have signed in this window that would have improved us, and which of the players that he let go should he have kept in order to improve us?

If you're unable to give specific, rational answers to those questions how about giving us all a break from the complaining and get on with supporting our team?

We also missed the boat with Keane. This window was good from the perspective of deadwoods but ultimately this was missed opportunity. We should have pushed Keane now because it will be too late in the summer.
simple as that.

Yes, it'd be even more successful if we'd have sold ten more I suppose, given that logic.

You don't see a successful window in terms of balance - ie selling unwanted players and then buying their replacements?

It's the easiest thing in the world to have a successful window if your definition of successful is to just get shut of players.
Honestly, who do we need to replace? Geri I suppose, but maybe Lookman is just that.

Look, I wanted another attacking option as much as you. I wanted a legit CB that could move Mori the bench and/or allow us to confidently play 4 in the back if needed and put another attacking player on the field. Injuries are a concern, but you know, we only have league games left.

Farhad also isn't a moron. The dude dropped $80M to pay off all our debt and knows that with FFP, we lost $24M last year. Now I don't have the exact numbers in terms of what is permissable income/expense, but 2016 is going to be a very good, profitable year for us. Shaving off the rest of this salary is HUGE as is just the minimal transfer fees we brought in. The "other" expenses for Martinez, coaches, and staff within other costs is also gone. The over $5M a year we pay in debt is also gone. Our revenues are clearly going to increase with the USM FF deal and a new shirt deal, other sponsorship, etc. We are going to have a LOT more $$$ to play with. However, with FFP, it's a multiyear calculation, and those previous years of losses hurt in terms of buying players.

So really, if the right players to buy weren't there, it's wise to lay off it, balance the books, and come out with a tidy profit at least in terms of FFP calculation so that we can buy more players in the summer where the market is much better. Tack on a decent sale for someone like McCarthy to the tune of $20M+, and we are going to be in good shape.

Of course, that's all theoretical. It needs to actually happen.

The next window is always the one where it'll be crucial.

IMO we have just blown two of them in a row. Yes a couple of good additions have been made, but that rate is nowhere near good enough.

More than two good additions. As well as Schneids and Gana, Williams has been a good addition, so that makes 3 distinct first team improvements over the two windows (I rate Bolassie in and Geri out as a fairly neutral change - not a plus or a minus).

Add to that (and though it's early days) Lookman looks like he might be another first team improvement rather than just a future prospect.

That, the emergence of Holgate and Davies as decent first team players and the shifting of the dead wood off the payroll and out of the squad (always important to clear out the old in life) mean IMO the team and squad are in a massively better place than a year ago even before considering what the majority of us on here would see as a much better manager than our previous one

Plenty of cats all hot and bothered by balancing the books in the windows - those days have sailed for Everton. I know our need for self-loathing and flagellation requires it but get over it. Ebepton is not stuck looking between the couch cushions for bits and bobs to take Stracqualursi (God bless you Denis) in on loan.

Who were we expecting Ebepton to sign? The fact the Blues are well outside of CL footie is not helping recruitment. It is going to take incremental change - can't be tidied up overnight and Ronnie did inherit some whoppers from Brown Shoe Bob.

Did we all predict Jagielka's meteoric slide from club captain to 88th minute rear guard duty? He's still technically the captain but the captain needs to be on the pitch. We were all thrilled when D-Foo signed in but he's been schlepped off to Italia where he will never learn a thing about defense, work rate or effort at both ends.

Few of us (me included) expected Davies be in the first team mix, much less starting. Holgate neither. Most would have expected Galloway to be in the LB mix but he can't get past Allan Nyom. Galloway has made 5 appearances for WBA this season and didn't make the bench today.

Ease up. It might get better, it might not. Koeman has been at Ebepton for 2 windows and excluding loans:

Ins: Gueye, Bolasie, Lookman, Schiederlin, Williams, Stekelenburg, Calvert-Lewin
Outs: Osman, Hibbo, Stones, Oviedo, Gibson

Better than where Ebepton were at the end of last season? No doubt.

Koeman will get a couple more windows (provided he stays) to get it where he wants. Premature ejacula back seat managing sucks. If you actually knew what you're on about, you wouldn't be here on GOT. I'm keeping my day job.

Cabaye was bought last season, Benteke in the summer.

It's not the transfer fee, but the STCC of wages set by the premier league. We could have increased our wages significantly from the profit of the Stones sale in the summer gone and this window.

Esk explains it better in his posts
Schneiderlin wasn't Dankor was. Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back