January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you anymore pics.

BA1AABFE-D7E6-4637-BF15-55832769FA89.webp

The rumour was that this was coming from Ancelotti who will know the player's current level well due to his recent sojourn back in Italy. The logic therefore is that having spent vast sums to bring in one of the world's best managers, it's a good idea to give the man what he wants, especially if it's a cheap low risk move that isn't going to leave the club with Sandro/Schneiderlin levels of onward wage misery.

The shambles yesterday should've concentrated everyone's minds on the fact that relegation is not out of the question and defence is one area where experience can be more important than young legs. The club are one CB down and there's little confidence in at least one of the three recognised players in that position.

Have just googled and he's a left sided CB that's also played LB. So with him on the bench instead of Baines, CA gets an opportunity to push Digne forward but still stay strong on the left side defence or cover an injury to CB with one player.

Not every transfer has to quicken the pulse. First priority is to get to the end of the season as a PL club. Once done, then yes use the summer window to bring pace in the central defence position, getting shut of Keane, getting a top of the range Italian defender in the Nesta mode etc.

I don't think one appearance for Cagliari vs Napoli means Ancelotti will know his level well and I don't care how you spin it but he's 34 and however bad we were yesterday he is not a player we should sign.

Ok let's play Q&A.

Did we sign Tosun because we thought he was exactly what we needed and would fit seamlessly into our set up? Or did we just think he was better than what we had and so worth bringing in? Had we extensively scouted Walcott and looked at all the ways he could improve us, factoring in potential for resale as he got older etc? Or did we just think 'we need pace, Walcott is faster than everyone we have, let's buy him'? Did we think about whether Michael Keane could transition from being asked to just head and block at the edge of his own box to playing a much broader, more demanding role? Or did we just think he'd be better than Ashley Williams? When signing all these new players did we think about what was going to happen to the likes of Besic, Martina, Niasse etc who were still on the payroll, or did we just think, a slight improvement is good?

I think I know the answer to all those questions. And so yes, I'd say it is, really.
Walcott and Tosun were bought in by a short term manager to do a short term job for him. That's my assessment.

No idea about the appraisal process for Keane before he was bought, but a north-west based experienced premier league player on the fringes of England first XI was a relatively decent risk and if he was made available would recover some if not all or more of his money (especially with amortisation and rising price of players being taken into account). Talk about damning with faint praise. Keane - the equivalent of a crumbling property in a plush neighbourhood where the house prices are rocketing - he's a bargain at the price!

The rumour was that this was coming from Ancelotti who will know the player's current level well due to his recent sojourn back in Italy. The logic therefore is that having spent vast sums to bring in one of the world's best managers, it's a good idea to give the man what he wants, especially if it's a cheap low risk move that isn't going to leave the club with Sandro/Schneiderlin levels of onward wage misery.

The shambles yesterday should've concentrated everyone's minds on the fact that relegation is not out of the question and defence is one area where experience can be more important than young legs. The club are one CB down and there's little confidence in at least one of the three recognised players in that position.

Have just googled and he's a left sided CB that's also played LB. So with him on the bench instead of Baines, CA gets an opportunity to push Digne forward but still stay strong on the left side defence or cover an injury to CB with one player.

Not every transfer has to quicken the pulse. First priority is to get to the end of the season as a PL club. Once done, then yes use the summer window to bring pace in the central defence position, getting shut of Keane, getting a top of the range Italian defender in the Nesta mode etc.
No we need a CB so we can play Holgate in midfield and not put Keane on the pitch.
We have 2 midfielders out injured unless we get 1 on loan priority is a CB and an attacking player.
Holgate not the answer but he’s the best midfield we have that currently fit

I don't think one appearance for Cagliari vs Napoli means Ancelotti will know his level well and I don't care how you spin it but he's 34 and however bad we were yesterday he is not a player we should sign.

Not trying to spin anything or saying he's a must sign. I just wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram if the club makes some short term moves in the transfer market to try and ensure that they get through to the summer safely.

I have a mate who supports Benfica. Thinks Fernandes has a potential, but he's overhyped and his progress stalled since beginning of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back