January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let's play Q&A.

Did we sign Tosun because we thought he was exactly what we needed and would fit seamlessly into our set up? Or did we just think he was better than what we had and so worth bringing in? Had we extensively scouted Walcott and looked at all the ways he could improve us, factoring in potential for resale as he got older etc? Or did we just think 'we need pace, Walcott is faster than everyone we have, let's buy him'? Did we think about whether Michael Keane could transition from being asked to just head and block at the edge of his own box to playing a much broader, more demanding role? Or did we just think he'd be better than Ashley Williams? When signing all these new players did we think about what was going to happen to the likes of Besic, Martina, Niasse etc who were still on the payroll, or did we just think, a slight improvement is good?

I think I know the answer to all those questions. And so yes, I'd say it is, really.

Which is fair. I would add to key points though.

1) All of the players we have bought above were bought for high fees/wages and 2) they would tied down to long term contracts.

Buying a player, for 18 months, "on the cheap" for 1-2 million doesn't fit into what we have done at all.

I'm not pro signing Klavan. However yesterday has punched any massive resistance out of me when it comes to signings. That group are a disgrace.

Backing a manager with a hunch is not a bad idea in and of itself, however going all in on it, with high fees and a long term contractual commitment has been daft. I don't think thats what we will see if Klavan, so it is something a break with what's been before. It may well be a break in the wrong direction.

Which is fair. I would add to key points though.

1) All of the players we have bought above were bought for high fees/wages and 2) they would tied down to long term contracts.

Buying a player, for 18 months, "on the cheap" for 1-2 million doesn't fit into what we have done at all.

I'm not pro signing Klavan. However yesterday has punched any massive resistance out of me when it comes to signings. That group are a disgrace.

Backing a manager with a hunch is not a bad idea in and of itself, however going all in on it, with high fees and a long term contractual commitment has been daft. I don't think thats what we will see if Klavan, so it is something a break with what's been before. It may well be a break in the wrong direction.
I was just making a bit of a throwaway comment on the idea that 'anything would be better than these' really. Because it wouldn't, as history has very painfully shown us.

Walcott and Tosun were bought in by a short term manager to do a short term job for him. That's my assessment.

No idea about the appraisal process for Keane before he was bought, but a north-west based experienced premier league player on the fringes of England first XI was a relatively decent risk and if he was made available would recover some if not all or more of his money (especially with amortisation and rising price of players being taken into account). Talk about damning with faint praise. Keane - the equivalent of a crumbling property in a plush neighbourhood where the house prices are rocketing - he's a bargain at the price!

I think you are right when you say, short term signing to do a short term job. The issue isn't making a signing such as that, the issue is the money's spent to do so, and as you say the length of contract.

We could have quite easily loaned Walcott for 6 months, then loaned him again for another 12 months, and then punted at the end of last season.

I haven't seen a lot of Klavan. I've watched him in derbies, and friends who are reds always said he was ok. In derbies he looked fine to me. Not flashy or world class, but a solid defender. There was one where he bullied Lukaku. If he's available for 1-2 million and Ancelotti likes him, I'm not going to kick up a massive fuss.

I was just making a bit of a throwaway comment on the idea that 'anything would be better than these' really. Because it wouldn't, as history has very painfully shown us.

Ah ok, yes thats fair enough.

I suppose I should substantiate that a little better. I have very little faith in those at the club currently. Even Marcel Brands, I have to say has been a little underwhelming in his time here. Ancelotti is a world class manager, and if he believes a player is good enough for us, and only costs 1-2 million pounds I'm really not going to kick up an almighty fuss over it.

As for yesterday, I think you can a lot about players in certain situations.That was the biggest game of the season for Everton. It was arguably one of our biggest games in years. A massive opportunity to secure a totemic win and do away a hoodoo, build momentum and push for a cup. Losing is one thing, but the majority didn't seem in the least bit bothered about the game to me. It was nonchalance personified throughout. I'm quite a positive person, and positive on here, but that defeat is disastrous.

It's an emotional statement and at some point I may well calm down and go back to taking the long view, maybe looking at the data etc, but in this moment I really can't say I'd be disappointed if we didn't see any of those involved yesterday in a blue shirt again.

To an extent,signing anybody to replace them would be a mistake. He wouldn't be anybody though. He would be a player who Jurgen Klopp signed (who just stuck out a reserve team who defeated us) and who Ancelotti wants. It would be a player who has won a merseyside derby, and performed well in one, (I have a memory of him marking Lukaku out of the game). Thats a lot more credit than most of our players have in the bank currently.

He's not my number 1 option, but I'm afraid I can't bring myself to kick off about the signing. Maybe in time this will change.

I have a mate who supports Benfica. Thinks Fernandes has a potential, but he's overhyped and his progress stalled since beginning of last season.
Dwelling on that, he described him as a pacy box-to-box midfielder. He's more tactical than technical player, Bruno Lage has no idea where to play him in his system and that is the reason he's struggling with game time.

He doesnt think he'd make it in the Premier League though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back