Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFP is there purely so no other team can have ambition and spend their own money, protect the media darlings at all costs right? Can’t have any of the riff raff getting boss players can we

That what it was Basically brought in for, not some ethical sense of sensibility from UEFA, basically they didn’t like City doing what they did so they put a stop to it.

The most corrupt sporting body in the world

FFP is there purely so no other team can have ambition and spend their own money, protect the media darlings at all costs right? Can’t have any of the riff raff getting boss players can we

This is my gripe with FFP. It didnt exist back in the day so the clubs like Chelsea and to some extent City who came into money before the restrictions were able to elevate their club and therefore be in a much better position to generate more revenue today and get round the new restrictions.

It doesn't stop the rich clubs spending money it just stops the smaller clubs from potentially improving

Also put into a better team, Bernard is one of the current squad who are likely to thrive and see a pick up in those stats.
Agreed, Bernard is 5' 6" not 6' 5" he is physically not able to dominate a game. He is reliant on others getting the ball and feeding him and we have seen in recent months our midfield was neither dominant or creative. He is a player that could thrive in a team like Man City where they dominate possession and work incredibly hard for each other.

When CA is able to build his own team I think Bernard will have a much bigger part to play.

This.

I hate to go all Esk on everyone, but there are no quick fixes here. We might want to get rid of loads of players, but because of FFP there are minimum amounts we can sell these players for without negatively affecting our FFP position (which is already fairly precarious)

Schneiderlin - approx £10m
Sigurdsson - approx £20m
Tosun - approx £14m
Walcott - approx £10m
Keane - approx £15m

And then you factor in the harsh reality that most of those players are on six figure weekly salaries - realistically we are not going to sell them without hurting ourselves from a FFP perspective, which impacts our ability to replace them. The best you can hope for is that we get the wages off the books and loan them out until their value is low enough to convince someone to take them.

The only way we change that is by selling someone at a big profit to enable us to take hits on those players or alternatively somehow generating new commercial revenues, which are again really difficult to do as we can't just allow Usmanov to give us £100m to sponsor a lounge or something as these deals are assessed to see whether we are using them to try to get around FFP (which is exactly what we would be trying to do).

We have another 18 months worth of this I would guess. There is no quick fix.

Just calculated the fees... @MarcelsGoat and @davek may have their own figures :)

Schneiderlin signed Jan 2017 for £22mil
4.5 year deal, 1.5 years left
Contract value = £7.3mil

Sigurdsson signed August 2017 for £44mil
5 year deal, 2.5 years left
Contract value = £22mil

Cenk Tosun signed Jan 2018 for £21mil
4.5 year deal, 2.5 years left
Contract value = £11.7mil

Walcott signed Jan 2018 for £20mil
3.5 year deal, 1.5 years left
Contract value = £8.5mil

Michael Keane signed July 2017 for £25mil
Contract value = £12.5mil

It would appear Carlo has made a judgement call on Pickford. Not clear who, at the top end of the table at least and who could afford the fee/wages he would command, might presently need a new keeper. Is he a better option than anyone wearing a No 1 above us? Debatable.. Schmeichel is getting on but no chance he would go to sit on the bench there, Spurs perhaps... but unlikely to pay whatever he is on with us, Arsenal maybe.. We may be stuck with him regardless of Carlo's view.

In terms of a replacement, Moyes just signed Darren Randolph from Boro for a cut price 4m. Has always looked reliable, when I have seen him for Ireland, and is a popular unassuming fella by all accounts. He runs a keeper academy here in Dublin - where they have coached my sons club team - and have only heard positive feedback. We need an infusion of a number of solid characters to this motley bunch.

32, yes, but for 4m, that is good business by Moyes to be fair.
People are correctly criticising our midfield for being slow, for being gutless for refusing to take responsibility.

Then they criticise the goalkeeper for not playing well, for poor distribution.

Maybe, if our midfield was better we would concede less and he would have somebody to pass to.

I still cant believe Carlo doesnt want a CF this month.

Our forwards are absolutely gash.
I think he wants a new starting 11 and at least 6 back up players. However in the real world with maybe 2 or 3 being a sensible number to bring in and not risk complete implosion, CF is not the position of biggest concern.

One OK striker in DCL at the club and a decent attacking player in Richy plus the likes of Bernard and the potential of Kean, means that what should be a problem area looks almost positively non-dysfuntional compared to the midfield or defence.

People are correctly criticising our midfield for being slow, for being gutless for refusing to take responsibility.

Then they criticise the goalkeeper for not playing well, for poor distribution.

Maybe, if our midfield was better we would concede less and he would have somebody to pass to.
Our midfield is static with no intuitiveness. The only fit midfielder I have seen with requirements to shift play is Davies.

I watch most of the u21s games and he impressed everytime I seen him. Will only get better . Very clever with his hold up and proved he can also finish
I know somebody who had dealings with him when he was at school, he is still a kind of mentor to the lad. He certainly would be a far better prospect than some we have spent big money on.

Just calculated the fees... @MarcelsGoat and @davek may have their own figures :)

Schneiderlin signed Jan 2017 for £22mil
4.5 year deal, 1.5 years left
Contract value = £7.3mil

Sigurdsson signed August 2017 for £44mil
Contract value = £22mil

Cenk Tosun signed Jan 2018 for £21mil
4.5 year deal, 2.5 years left
Contract value = £11.7mil

Walcott signed Jan 2018 for £20mil
3.5 year deal, 1.5 years left
Contract value = £8.5mil

Michael Keane signed July 2017 for £25mil
Contract value = £12.5mil

the legacy of Steve Walsh

cheers you fat bald tit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back