Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2* as Richarlison isnt a striker- as soon as Kean gets upto speed (and providing DCL keeps on scoring) Richarlison will be back out wide with Walcott sat with splinters in his backside.

My point is we have too many young players and too many old and none with any leadership quality.

Put Lukaku in that team yesterday and that game would have been put to bed with us hitting them for 3-4.

So we either A. Need a ruthless CF

Or B. A rock solid midfield/ defence that allows us to see out tight 1-0/ 2-1 games.

I warned you all a few days ago that at some point not being able to put teams to the sword will bite us on the backside with our midfield & defence and yesterday proved it.
Lukaku would not have hit 3 or 4 as our poor midfield and creative play would not have magically been better with a different forward.

And Richarlison taking Walcott's spot would be a questionable decision given how well he's operate as a striker. I fear you might be right but I hope he doesn't do it.

100 /1 we are to go down . Fill your boots.
All these teams below us are there for a reason. You think 6 or 7 of them are goin to pass us out . On what basis

What odds were we to draw last night when the clock ticked onto the 93rd minute? I asked the question if people thought we were safe at the moment. Clearly people do, however I think we need to strengthen in the window to completely ensure this and not just assume we have already done enough. (Just like the team did last night). Our rivals will strengthen.

Lukaku would not have hit 3 or 4 as our poor midfield and creative play would not have magically been better with a different forward.

And Richarlison taking Walcott's spot would be a questionable decision given how well he's operate as a striker. I fear you might be right but I hope he doesn't do it.

We had zero midfield creativity when Lukaku was here (unless you call Barkley creative) yet he would routinely smash goals in against crap like West Ham and Newcastle. Yes against the top 6 he flattered to deceive at times but the fact remains for me Lukaku papered over the cracks - take him out and we would have struggled massively under Martinez and Koeman's full season when he scored about 25 goals.

What odds were we to draw last night when the clock ticked onto the 93rd minute? I asked the question if people thought we were safe at the moment. Clearly people do, however I think we need to strengthen in the window to completely ensure this and not just assume we have already done enough. (Just like the team did last night). Our rivals will strengthen.
A one of match is different.
I don't really see any of them strengthening yet. We wont finish within 9 points of the third bottom team

We had zero midfield creativity when Lukaku was here (unless you call Barkley creative) yet he would routinely smash goals in against crap like West Ham and Newcastle. Yes against the top 6 he flattered to deceive at times but the fact remains for me Lukaku papered over the cracks - take him out and we would have struggled massively under Martinez and Koeman's full season when he scored about 25 goals.
Lukaku was so boss. He'd have a field day in a team with Bernard, Richy etc

I can't see Norwich getting past us, but any of the rest could.

Relegation candidates, for me, are those teams with equal/less points than games played, and those that are one game away from that situation.
That's currently the situation for the bottom 6, while we are 6 losses in a row from that.
I know our next six games aren't the easiest, but have some [Poor language removed] faith won't ya.

No, I am merely making the point that there is a relegation battle involving about 10 teams, most of which have already or will look to strengthen this window. If we don't, we may be putting ourselves in a dangerous situation.

Watford and Southampton looked doomed a few weeks ago. Southampton are now above us..

We're closer to 5th than we are 18th. And people are still worried about getting relegated. We will be nowhere near relegation

Barkley got 8 assists in a season. Bernard is on pace for 4. Make of that what you will. Also Deulofeu had a year with 7 or 8 assists.

With 15 mins to go the draw was 35/1

Dont think there will be a striker bought especially now that Carlo is playing Kean who scored, DCL who scored a bit more and Richarlison coming back who scores more regularly than the others. We are short on the right side midfield for sure. Anybody that can do a job instead of Walcott. I can only see a loan of some sort maybe with a purchase figure on it but nothing else (but would love to see a couple more midfielders so that certainly Davies never sees the first team again at minimum)

Relegation candidates, for me, are those teams with equal/less points than games played, and those that are one game away from that situation.
That's currently the situation for the bottom 6, while we are 6 losses in a row from that.
I know our next six games aren't the easiest, but have some [Poor language removed] faith won't ya.
Picking up16 points from our last 9 games is why we will be safe
Goodness knows how we did it playing so badly
Im just relieved we have got 30 points so far somehow

Now that I have calmed down (yes it took me the entire night and part of this morning), just a couple of points.

DCL and Kean have brilliant potential.
Holgate was very good, as was Mina, Bernard and please kill me for saying this, Schneiderlin and Walcott (both good I thought).
Digne needs to sort himself; his pullbacks, corners and free kicks were horrendous.
Sidibe is a bit hit and miss; very good and poor.
Delph was ok except for the brainfart of trying to whack the ball into the corner to nobody with 30 seconds to play.
Tom and Pickford were both horrible; both goals in the the main attributed to both of them.

Other than that, I'm optimistic for the remainder of the season., and no, average mediocrity doesn't placate me...

If we pick up a proper centre mid, centre back in the window, I still expect us to finish top 7; if we had won last night, that would be top 4...o_O
Agree with pretty much everything there except for the Walcott bit who I thought that apart from doing his running around a lot quick but getting nowhere while falling over a ball routine was woeful. It just goes to show how different people see different things in the same game. I might be wrong about it or you might be just a game of opinions but mainly spot on.

Do people believe we are safe at the moment? The way things are going you will need well over 40 points to stay up I reckon. Surely we need some new faces to ensure we don't get dragged into the mire?...
Past 10 years 36 to 37 points is safety. Only 3 times has a team got relegated with 40 or more. We will end up nearer 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back