Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, Ripoll told L'Equipe former Paris Saint-Germain forward sent him a text message on Sunday, the day before he was due to report, saying he would not be coming, claiming "muscle fatigue" meant he could not play.
It's not as uncommon as it sounds.
I often get muscle fatigue in my right forearm when I lay in bed thinking about the goals Rom used to score for us

If we can get Vecino for anything around £15m and can sell Schneiderlin for £10m, it would be amazing business.

He might not seem world class but we could definitely use someone with his strengths.
After watching a couple of YouTube compilations I'd be happy enough if he joined. He may not set the world alight but he definitely looks an upgrade.

See my above response. I appreciate central midfield is an issue, but for reasons that I’m not sure this would address.

We don’t really have to trust anyone at the club. They’ll buy who they want at the end of the day, I’m only passing comment, I’m aware that it makes no difference to what will happen and I’ve been wrong plenty of times before. everyone said we needed to trust brands when he signed 3 midfielders in the summer, but now apparently they can’t play in our formation, so maybe we shouldn’t have?

No I appreciate they will buy who they want, and it's a bit of a throwaway cliche, which would be more accurate to say I have a fair deal of faith in allowing the manager to select the players he wants.

Our issue is that to buy qualitatively better we either need to pay a fair whack of money, bring another young player in and develop them to that point or finally to get lucky in the scouting process to recognise something others haven't seen. If it's any of the above, it's going to the the latter, that either Ancelott's judgement of Serie A means he's spotted something that isn't immediately apparent from the wider numbers.

I think there is also a fair amount of risk we compound risk by signing another decent replace to replace existing decent players. I mean Delph and Schneiderlin were actually very good against Newcastle. Sigurdsson was really good against Brighton. Their issue is they are inconsistent. There has to be some worry that Vecino fits that profile.

The hope I have is that it's a potential Gana signing. I remember feeling similar underwhelmed with him, just thinking we already had Besic, Barry, Gibson,McCarthy, Barkley and we were adding a lad who got relegated from a side who won about 2 games, and was 27 to boot. That turned out to be an efficient signing.

If they want to commit to him, you'd imagine Ancelotti has seen something in him that he currently doesn't have. He will live and die by such decisions really.

Better than what we already have is probably true for Vecino, but that is a very low bar at present.

In the longer term I'd rather experience teething troubles with younger players who have the potential to be much better than what we have.

Ancelotti's judgement of the player is paramount but it would be a strange signing for me and a continuation of the general trend in signing players much closer to 30 than I'd like, who is likely to be on a big wage, with no resale value. That type of profile hasnt served us well in the recent past.

I think you have to consider individual signings as part of an overall profile of signings under the same regime, but this wouldn't scream that the vision is part of an assault on the top six to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back