January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is plugging areas of weaknesses and trying to overhaul that relatively small gap to European football in a year when the league has been devoid of quality.

I refuse to believe there wasn't at least one target that was viable. There's thousands upon thousands of footballers and we have a guy who's only job is to scour the world and bring the right people in. And he's sat on his hands.

You know this how?

Given what we know about the board's commitment to passing FFP, the players available and the prices being paid for them... Who should we have signed?

I am perfectly comfortable accepting that Marcel Brands and Carlo Ancelotti know more about football than me.

Disagree. He isn't very good and we sold him to Wigan because he'd never play for us regularly and now a has-been Italian team are signing him and he'll probably play a small handful of games before he's shifted around again.

We did well to bring in some pennies and secure future pennies.

I actually think he had something to him, but if they won't sign then I don't really see what other choice you have to make

You know this how?

Given what we know about the board's commitment to passing FFP, the players available and the prices being paid for them... Who should we have signed?

I am perfectly comfortable accepting that Marcel Brands and Carlo Ancelotti know more about football than me.

You're telling me you honestly believe there was no player in world football that may have improved a centre-midfield of Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin who weren't available for a reasonable price?

Come on...

We're short in your hypothetical scenario one of the three gets injured.

Right no, we aren't short.
Being realistic here, we’re likely to see one of those three injured by the end of the season. No? All I’m saying is, if one were to go down injured tomorrow and out for months, we have 2 for the season

Yeah the club are writing off the season. So be it.

It's nice of them to confirm what we all knew - the complete lack of real ambition.
I don't think the backroom and Board are writing off the season. I would suggest results against Leicester, Liverpool and the dreadful run of results before December wrote off our season. Not signing pplayers is a result of those performances not the cause.

You're telling me you honestly believe there was no player in world football that may have improved a centre-midfield of Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin who weren't available for a reasonable price?

Come on...

Well I can't speak for anybody's availability, being as how I work in a loudspeaker factory in Belgium. I can however see the limitations of our midfield... So I imagine Ancelotti and Brands are not blind to it either.

So that leaves us with the scenario that either nobody representing a significant upgrade on our current starting line up was available at a price we were willing to pay (or able to bring in under FFP) or the recruiting team and the manager just aren't arsed and sit around playing kerplunk all day.

Which one do you reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back