Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't one centre mid or striker out there that was available for loan that we couldn't bring in just to bolster the squad and maybe give everyone a reason to be interested?

A half season loan for a player/players who might do well and could potentially be brought in on a perm in the summer doesn't seem like a ridiculous request really does it?

Oh well, onwards I guess

I think we have to be a little cautious on this Mikey.

The key is to ultimately get better than what we have. Signing players to keep supporters interested is a very poor reason to spend money and in truth is a contributory factor to the amount of money we have wasted. Players need to be better than what we have, or have potential to be better than what we have.

This will probably be unpopular, but we have 3 very experienced central midfield players at the club (Delph, Scnheiderlin and Sigurdsson). So I am not sure we need another experienced player to come in for the next 14 games who is at a similar level.

Very few sides are letting their better players go cheaply. Given the situation we are in I can't see any major motivation to pay the premium that comes from January.

I think someone like Emre Can may have been a good signing on a loan. I think he's potentially better than what we have and we could have had a look at him. Probably similar with Vecino. Would I have wanted to have spent 25m on either? At this stage no.

As regards centre forward, I don't think we need one at all. Mean has shown promise and Calvert Lewin and Richarlinson are performing very well. I'd have taken Zlatan on a loan deal, but outside of that I haven't seen an awful lot I'd have willingly brought in to come into our first team.

I liked Bowen at Hull too. However 20+million for a lad with 6 months on his deal feels like a massive panic buy (especially when you factor it there will be a hefty sign on fee as well to go on top of that, given how little time he has had left). At 5 million I'd have taken a punt on him, but the fee they are paying re-enforces my belief that it is a sellers market.

Centre mids on the books

Schneiderlin
Delph
Sigurdsson
Davies
Besic
Baningime
Gomes
Gbamin

Any more?

I reckon we need to shift some of them out before strengthening...

There isn't one centre mid or striker out there that was available for loan that we couldn't bring in just to bolster the squad and maybe give everyone a reason to be interested?

A half season loan for a player/players who might do well and could potentially be brought in on a perm in the summer doesn't seem like a ridiculous request really does it?

Oh well, onwards I guess

You say this like it's so hard to believe. Why would a good player, whose wages aren't an issue, be available to leave - especially on loan - in January? The players available for a loan probably aren't good enough to make a difference in our squad in just 3.5 months.

The key is to ultimately get better than what we have. Signing players to keep supporters interested is a very poor reason to spend money and in truth is a contributory factor to the amount of money we have wasted. Players need to be better than what we have, or have potential to be better than what we have.

This will probably be unpopular, but we have 3 very experienced central midfield players at the club (Delph, Scnheiderlin and Sigurdsson). So I am not sure we need another experienced player to come in for the next 14 games who is at a similar level.

Very few sides are letting their better players go cheaply. Given the situation we are in I can't see any major motivation to pay the premium that comes from January.

I think someone like Emre Can may have been a good signing on a loan. I think he's potentially better than what we have and we could have had a look at him. Probably similar with Vecino. Would I have wanted to have spent 25m on either? At this stage no.

As regards centre forward, I don't think we need one at all. Mean has shown promise and Calvert Lewin and Richarlinson are performing very well. I'd have taken Zlatan on a loan deal, but outside of that I haven't seen an awful lot I'd have willingly brought in to come into our first team.

I liked Bowen at Hull too. However 20+million for a lad with 6 months on his deal feels like a massive panic buy (especially when you factor it there will be a hefty sign on fee as well to go on top of that, given how little time he has had left). At 5 million I'd have taken a punt on him, but the fee they are paying re-enforces my belief that it is a sellers market.

A loan is a low risk way of bringing someone in

You loan them and if they do good you can try and sign them and if they do badly you send them back to their parent club and move on with your life

The players we have loaned out already mean we will likely make up the difference on the cost of the loanee's wages by saving them elsewhere

I see no reason not to do it if there's a player out there who is interested who we think we can plug in

Great post I agree with most but does any team take a “punt”on a player.
You’d have to think they would see a role for them in the squad somewhere in any business 5m on a punt is extremely risky.

You’re right, based on historical evidence Everton fans should sit back log off and smile knowing the transfer window is being handled to perfection and there is nothing to complain about.
Complaining for complainings sake isn't exactly contributing though, is it? Let's be honest.

The original point stands - both the DoF and manager, by all accounts, are happy enough with the status of the squad this month. A bunch of random, unqualified people on the internet are insistent that this is the wrong attitude. Personally I think it's wise to just let them get on with it and not bleat on incessantly like some on here about how it's, apparently 'season over' and 'a missed opportunity' just because we haven't thrown money at player xyz...

A loan is a low risk way of bringing someone in

You loan them and if they do good you can try and sign them and if they do badly you send them back to their parent club and move on with your life

The players we have loaned out already mean we will likely make up the difference on the cost of the loanee's wages by saving them elsewhere

I see no reason not to do it if there's a player out there who is interested

Thats the big if though isn't it? There's no point bringing in someone who is not better than what we have. We still have 4 fit central midfield players competing for 2 spots currently, with Gomes to return.

If I were to make a criticism, it would be that we haven't added more left field/younger signings. Braithwaite looks a great buy and Gibson being tied down is excellent too. I don't think there are that many players out there, who are better than what we have who would come on loan. I'd have happily taken Emre Can, but at 25m?

Everton car just pulled out of JLA they picked up 2 people off a flight from oporto (edit) put my glasses back on to double check

Not sure if transfer related but thought i'd mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back