Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the big if though isn't it? There's no point bringing in someone who is not better than what we have. We still have 4 fit central midfield players competing for 2 spots currently, with Gomes to return.

If I were to make a criticism, it would be that we haven't added more left field/younger signings. Braithwaite looks a great buy and Gibson being tied down is excellent too. I don't think there are that many players out there, who are better than what we have who would come on loan. I'd have happily taken Emre Can, but at 25m?

Can isnt better than what we have.

Great post I agree with most but does any team take a “punt”on a player.
You’d have to think they would see a role for them in the squad somewhere in any business 5m on a punt is extremely risky.

Well they shouldn't, but in truth sometimes a deal makes sense at a certain price point but not others. I don't think Bowen makes an awful lot of sense at 20+ million, in addition to the hefty sign on fees that will be getting signed.

Can isnt better than what we have.

No thats probably true. He's a bit different yo what we have though, and on loan I'd have considered it. However you kind of make my point really. It's not an easy window. It's certainly not one that if we went and whacked 25+million on Can I'd be thinking it was brilliant.

We should hijack the Joshua King transfer and grab him before United
You do realise that hijacking is a criminal offence ,and if you are found guilty it will more than likely end up with you receiving a prison sentence.
If @Bungle is involved you could end up sharing a prison cell.
I would ask to to contact @Finnfan and ask him to retell some of his sources prison stories before toy embark on such a venture

You say this like it's so hard to believe. Why would a good player, whose wages aren't an issue, be available to leave - especially on loan - in January? The players available for a loan probably aren't good enough to make a difference in our squad in just 3.5 months.

They don't even need to be a really good player, they just need to be someone with a fresh perspective looking to prove themselves who we can bring in to bolster the ranks and maybe inject a bit of life into things

We're a couple more injuries/suspensions away from being very thin on the ground. Delph and Siggurdsson have had injury issues, Gbamin and Gomes are still out and Schneiderlin and Davies pick up their fair share of cards due to their playing styles

One extra addition just to give us a little bit more depth would help a lot right now, and it wouldn't cost that much either if it's just a loan

I like the potential signing as well, and I have to say I am enthused that the club are looking to do that. We haven't done it enough and to me it shows we are at least looking in the right direction.

I believe Robinson was 22 when we let him leave. I mean there is a world of difference between a 22 year old and a 17 year old. We also have to say, if we get £3million pounds for a 22 year old who's never made a start for the club, that is pretty decent money.

I do understand the viewpoint that says maybe he could have been good enough for us. It's hard though, because at 22 I'm sure the lad wanted to be playing regularly and that just wouldn't have been an option here. It's fine saying he could have taken Baines spot, but Baines is probably happy sitting on the bench most weeks, being called upon sporadically and probably providing some leadership on the training pitch. Robinson is a completely different scenario.

The moment to have given Robinson a go would have been the summer before, to have not signed Lucas Digne and to have promoted Robinson to the first team squad as left back. However this to a degree is on this first team coach, who may have wanted a more experienced left back. I also think we have to acknowledge that as a fan base we ar not overwhelmingly keen on promoting from within to resolve problems.

Take this window, there is going to be a lot of frustration that we don't sign anyone. Very few people are going to say "well Antony Gordon may now be able to get game time that would have been lost over signing Everton Soares".
@davek likes this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back