Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
But bigger, better clubs will be in for him in the summer so he wouldn't join West Ham then

They've taken a punt on him now because they had to - Fair enough
He has been scoring goals for a while though, if any big clubs were going to come in they would have by now, ie Spurs wanted to sign him on a pre contract thing but Bowen wanted to leave. He is not daft though apparently has a relegation release clause for when Moyes takes WHU down.

I think there is an argument each way.

For every Galloway and Garbutt there is a Stones, DCL and Holgate. Its about good judgement and pathways.

Take Lewis Gibson that is a situation under a different regime that probably would have seen him leave on a free like Gosling. But after being reassured of a development pathway he has stayed, signed a new deal and hopefully will be an asset - id credit Brands there.

On Baines as i said yesterday to much controversy, we dropped a clanger on Robinson, if we could have done a Lewis Gibson on him, loaned him to Wigan instead of giving 34 year old legend Baines a new deal, it would have been good work - id be critical of Brands there.

I suppose no one is perfect and you cant win them all.

As i have said before i think we are bit sluggish in the domestic market at lower levels, i dont think Brands has the network or domestic contracts yet, the way Steve Walsh arguably had, which in a way is understandable given his career has been largely outside this country. Thats not saying Walsh was brilliant and Brands crap, just an observation, Walsh as we know wasnt great at international signings, were Brands is better. Not that Brands wont develop this and Braithwaite looks a positive step, but its just my take and opinion.

It also begs the question why weve not brought in foreign players to develop.

Plenty of time to identify targets, and for the new manager and DOF to consider their strategy. No excuses why we cant have our targets brought in early and have no scrambling around near the end of the Summer transfer window. No excuses.
No excuses, except for the Copa and the Euros. So...there will be excuses.

On balance I'm glad the window is over and although a CB would've been nice it's good we're not gambling even further than we already have.

Maybe Carlo can solve some of our problems by coaching the players we have rather than getting new ones. Other than Man Utd I can't think of a squad that's underperformed on expectation more, so they have their chance now. World class coach, great facilities and if they can't sort themselves out by summer it's over to Marcel.

On reflection, if the targets we require were not available then we’ve done the right thing in not just bringing in someone for the sake of it. The short term fixes over the last 5-6 seasons have really set us back. Unfortunately we only need to look across the park at the German fella who only bought his targets when available and didn’t buy in short term bodies, I think through gritted teeth we can all agree that’s the right way to go. Let’s just get to the end of this season and re-assess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back