Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The age is a concern but if we could get 3-4 decent years out of him it would be totally worth it,
Davies I don't know what to do with that lad.
Morgan = garbage
Delph can be okay but very inconsistent AND injury prone.
Gomes = Rolls Royce
Gbamin = unknown
This signings feels like Ancelotti is getting someone he has seen and trust to do the job he specifically wants his midfielders to do which our current ones can't which is why this deal might happen.

I think central midfield is our most pressing issue. I know we have quantity but we really do lack quality (and consistency) in that position. Perhaps what is fairer to say, is that the signing of Vecino on the face of it is a "more of the same" type of signing, which is unusual. I had a look at some numbers, and one site suggests he's actually been pretty poor this season (like at a lower level than our midfielders) but another site suggests if you look at a longer view he has been a decent players over a few years.

I've watched the obligatory clips of him, and what I would say is he seems quite mobile, tall and wants to pass the ball forward.

The difficulty is though, you have to get to a point where you trust your manager. He's obviously seen him a fair bit in Serie A and may well have been on his radar. I think when you have someone of the calibre of Ancelotti it does hold some weight (rightly or wrongly).

What I think it says to me though, is messes Delph, Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson I would say there is a long way back for. He clearly wants experience in that position. This is a player with a similar profile to those 3 (it's not a 23 year old who can hopefully come in and displace them). It doesn't say a lot about his confidence in them that he wants him to come in.
See my above response. I appreciate central midfield is an issue, but for reasons that I’m not sure this would address.

We don’t really have to trust anyone at the club. They’ll buy who they want at the end of the day, I’m only passing comment, I’m aware that it makes no difference to what will happen and I’ve been wrong plenty of times before. everyone said we needed to trust brands when he signed 3 midfielders in the summer, but now apparently they can’t play in our formation, so maybe we shouldn’t have?

Keane
Davies
Schneiderlin
Baningame
Delph
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Iwobi
Tosun
Niasse
Bolasie
Sandro
Martina
Stekelenberg

We should be desperately trying to offload as many of these as possible before January 31st. A few of their contracts are running out so any money is a bonus for us, while the rest are just so far away from the standard required it's not even funny.

That group is costing us about 3/4 of a million every WEEK.

Unfortunately we all know we're stuck with them all until their contracts expire, but it'd be nice if we were able to clear even 2-3 of them. Alas, it won't happen.

6? If things go our (and Ancelotti's) way we'd have 2 of those gone tomorrow - Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin. Delph is at most a backup, Davies is a great player for the U23 team and a bang average PL player who can't run. Gbamin is injured and a wildcard, Gomes is injured and we don't know if he'd actually be any good when he returns.

I'd say it's a problem.
None of those things stop them from existing or being paid though do they, so whatever point you were trying to make sort of falls down at that.

Thanks eggs .
Never heard of this lad . Anybody watched him at all ?
The age is a concern but if we could get 3-4 decent years out of him it would be totally worth it,
Morgan = garbage
Gomes = Rolls Royce
Gbamin = unknown
This signings feels like Ancelotti is getting someone he has seen and trust to do the job he specifically wants his midfielders to do which our current ones can't which is why this deal might happen.
Mmm shall I get involved with the Gomes debate again? Nah some like some think he needs to do more
Davies agree but I'd give him another year. If no improvement get rid
Delph just ok nothing special
Schneiderlin hate him but did ok against a very poor Newcastle

Thats about 12 million pounds isn't it? Brands is a good negotiator when buying and I sense we will get our man for close to what we want, or not at all.
It looks like inter want to sell and maybe need to sell. So the balls in our court, for once.
Personally I’m not overly fused.
Because I feel we need a really top class midfielder who will dominate that area of the pitch.

And if we sign this lad and Gbamin doesn’t turn into that player, then we maybe waiting a while

I think we will spend modest fees on a couple of under-21 players and one or two established signings. We are all hoping for some outs. It would be funny if we're not even interested in Vecino and it's just nonsense from the press who all copy each other. We will find out within 4 days!

The (potential) Vecino signing is a funny one. At his age you would expect that he should be straight into the team as opposed to "one for the future". It looks like, if we sign him, he'll be the only one coming in, in Jan. Any Jan signing should be made with a view to helping us push up the league this year, and then kicking on yet further from next season onwards.

Unless the lad is a pure, silky, metronomic passing, tackle machine, I think his influence can and will be minimal which makes the signing seem like more of a token gesture than anything. If it was the case that we're bidding now to ward off competitors, you'd expect to have heard of some competitors...

Obviously I hope he's boss but it just all seems a bit superfluous.

Superb mate, let's not get anyone in and try to ship out the deadweight just because we have the sheer numbers.

Quantity over quality, I suppose.
That’s the exact opposite of what I’m saying?! If we get rid of the dead wood then great, bring players in. My point was that we haven’t as yet, nor do there appear to be any real links with them leaving. If Vecino became a 7th central midfielder it would seem a bit stupid to me, if 2 leave and he comes in it doesn’t. It’s pretty simple really.

Keane
Davies
Schneiderlin
Baningame
Delph
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Iwobi
Tosun
Niasse
Bolasie
Sandro
Martina
Stekelenberg

We should be desperately trying to offload as many of these as possible before January 31st. A few of their contracts are running out so any money is a bonus for us, while the rest are just so far away from the standard required it's not even funny.

Unfortunately we all know we're stuck with them all until their contracts expire, but it'd be nice if we were able to clear even 2-3 of them. Alas, it won't happen.
What's your beef with Iwobi?
He's played well for us in a stuttering side

Morgan = garbage
Gomes = Rolls Royce
Gbamin = unknown

That's a good point. Could be more of a statement signing by Carlo - Yes, we have multiple players in that position but none of them can do the job he wants so he's planning for next year already. Could help push a couple of those players, who are just about clinging on, out the door. Doubt it, like, but it makes sense!!

I don't really think we have a sniff of getting rid of any of the garbo in our squad for fees. That's a worrying thought in itself, losing lots of players (who cost obscene money) for nothing and having to somehow replace the numbers and increase the quality, within the space of the next couple of years.

Keane
Davies
Schneiderlin
Baningame
Delph
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Iwobi
Tosun
Niasse
Bolasie
Sandro
Martina
Stekelenberg

You have just sold 6/7 of our Home-Grown players and we'd have 3/4 left which is against PL rules so we wouldn't be able to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back