Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who signed off on the deal to sell Robinson, rather than loan him out? He showed promise & something to work with long term, £2mil for a multi million pound company is barely a drop in the ocean so who thought it was a good deal? Sack them

His contract was expiring in the summer and he wouldn't sign a new one without assurances of first team football. He wasn't going to get it so we sold him for what we could get.

He was never seen as good enough for us though so he was never ever in contention for our left back slot. Taking the money worked at the time.

Moving to Milan doesn’t mean he’s any good either, we signed 2 players in Martina and Niasse who weren’t good enough for the PL. I’m sure Milan fans are pretty surprised at this too.

He was never good enough for us? Cuco Martina was in our match day squad a few weeks ago.

Im sure it was tricky decsion on who Milan wanted to drop their money on Cuco or Robinson.

Who signed off on the deal to sell Robinson, rather than loan him out? He showed promise & something to work with long term, £2mil for a multi million pound company is barely a drop in the ocean so who thought it was a good deal? Sack them
6 months left on his deal. Loaned out loads of times in past. Wasn’t signing another deal. Wasn’t ever seen as a first team player. Great business at the time. End of debate.

A young player deemed not good enough leaves and plays constant matches and turns to be a possible good player, Not rocket science is it nor is it Brands fault, We sold him for 2m and he's getting bought for 7m, Not the end of the world.

He was never good enough for us? Cuco Martina was in our match day squad a few weeks ago.

Im sure it was tricky decsion on who Milan wanted to drop their money on Cuco or Robinson.
Martina was obviously seen as a better option for Everton than Robinson then? Not really sure what you’re getting at there.

Thats your opinion obviously AC Milan have a different opinion on the player.

How has he cost the club millions? easy, the fee and sell on we get for Robinon has likely been spent on giving Baines a 1 year contract extention. 6 months latter the lad we chose to bin, moves to AC Milan for 6-10 million.

Now if Baines, goes in the summer, which is very likely, we need to go out and drop what 10 - 20 million on a new left back.

Millions wasted, its massively poor.

I think it may be a little more complex than that. I understand we got 2 million for Robinson, and will have (at least) a 10% sell on fee, so there's another million. 3 million pounds in total. Probably Baines's wages for a season. Alternatively probably the cost of keeping the academy running for an entire season.

We have to factor in, to keep Robinson here, would probably cost 20k maybe 30k per week. So that cost has to be factored in too.

Most importantly though, is that Robinson was not at the level of Ac Milan, or any other side in the summer who would be willing to pay £10million. He probably required 15-20 games to really kick on. These are not games we could afford to give him.

Wigan will benefit to the tune of 6 million after they pay us, and we will receive 3 million. It's not great, but it's also reasonably fair given they have played s key role in his development in terms of game time he's been given.

Interestingly, I was reading some comments on Twitter last night from Wigan fans who were bemused because they didn't think he'd been that good. I can't claim to have seen him this season myself.

I do remember, however, someone saying how they'd been in one of the boxes at Goodison a few years ago while Joe Royle was still here and it was around the time that we were being linked with Luke Shaw - Royle commented to the people in this box that Everton wouldn't sign someone like Luke Shaw because we had Robinson coming through.

Worth bearing in mind that Milan are probably only signing him as a back-up option - they're letting Ricardo Rodriguez out on loan. Theo Hernandez is their preferred choice at left back, understandably.

...Robinson is a terrific runner, real pace down the line that might suit the way they play. Also, having a US international might be good commercially.

I think it may be a little more complex than that. I understand we got 2 million for Robinson, and will have (at least) a 10% sell on fee, so there's another million. 3 million pounds in total. Probably Baines's wages for a season. Alternatively probably the cost of keeping the academy running for an entire season.

We have to factor in, to keep Robinson here, would probably cost 20k maybe 30k per week. So that cost has to be factored in too.

Most importantly though, is that Robinson was not at the level of Ac Milan, or any other side in the summer who would be willing to pay £10million. He probably required 15-20 games to really kick on. These are not games we could afford to give him.

Wigan will benefit to the tune of 6 million after they pay us, and we will receive 3 million. It's not great, but it's also reasonably fair given they have played s key role in his development in terms of game time he's been given.

Sorry mate, i dont disagree with your logic, but i disagree it was anything but a poor decision.

Players who weren't good enough for us suddenly getting a move from their new club isn't a great hill to die on mate

He's a poor player

Wel its personal opinion, we did have a number of options, we had a choice whether to give baines a new contract, or go with a player with potential - he defintiely has that if Ac are dropping 6-10 million - we decided to bin - that is poor judegment.

We had many options:

We went with Baines, and Robinson paid for his one year deal. We need to go out now and pay 10-20 mill on a back up right back, or just kee the Cuco Martinas of this world.

We had many options, we could have loaned him to Wigan for 6 months, he would have played and we would be in the same position, but getting millions.

Bad judgement tin my opinion. Massive clanger dropped.

Yeah, but you're missing the point really. He had 12 months left on his contract - he didn't want to sign a new one. We couldn't promise him first team football, Wigan could. He wanted to leave to go and play first team football (as he had for the previous two years). We are then over a barrel. The best you could hope for is to try and convince him to sign a new deal on the promise of loaning him out again and him coming back the following summer - but again that would be as Digne's deputy. So, if you're Robinson, as a full international already, what would you do? I'd have done what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back