Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing's going arse up. Russians now saying it's facing the worst possible scenario; Yanks saying it's out of control; French placing it at level 6 disaster...out of 7 levels. The shattered casings containing those reactors tell it's own story. :o

This thing's going arse up. Russians now saying it's facing the worst possible scenario; Yanks saying it's out of control; French placing it at level 6 disaster...out of 7 levels. The shattered casings containing those reactors tell it's own story. :o

Shattered buildings housing the reactor containers (of which one has a crack reported). you mean.

I think in crisis management is partly - information overload for the Japanese. You see this in analysis of accidents in chemical plants and refineries etc

Partly - fatigue. These teams have been working 24/7 for 5 days now.

Partly culture. Partly not wanting to panic the public.

There are principle things that have happened.

However, talks about real genuine risk.

Like I said before the US military and other governments. If they say things like "YOU MUST LEAVE" to their citizens then you know there's a problem. The US military have a very good idea I would say talking to the other branches of their Executive government of whats going on. Some they can publicise but some (like satellite imagery , outside the visible spectrum) they can't - yet. Tomorrow more info will come out.

The French are doing it because they have an election coming up. The Russians are just bringing out support staff at their embassy. The Germans too for home political reasons - more elections.

Thats why the US response is the one to watch

Last edited:
Look, Homer Simpson managed to stop a meltdown whilst wearing a man dress, I'm pretty sure they'll get it under control

homerimstrahlenschutzanzug.jpg

Just received this email reply at work, not sure I should really put it in here, but its from a close contact in Tokyo. Thought it may just be of interest perhaps

Dear Alio

thank you for your encouraging e-mail.

I personally and my family are OK!

As for our company, we, all employees, their familly and our company facility, don't suffer serious damage in spite of the massive earthquake and Tsunami attacking the northeastern section of Japan on March 11, 2011. We have been focussing on the serious trouble in Fukushima nuclear power station which is 250km approximately far from the center of Tokyo in north-northeast direction and whose effect the Tokyo Electric Power Company has been trying to minimize in cooperation with the Japanese goverment since March 11, 2011.

Although some trouble is expected by the damage and the confusion of an infrastructure such electricity and transportation e.t.c. by the earthquake disaster, our company is doing business since March 14, 2011 as usual.

We would like to thank you for what you have done for our company and hope that you will continue to favor us with your generous support in the future.

P.S.

As you may know how huge the serious damages by the earthquake and tsunami are facing at northeastern of Japan, I also have no words to express its catastrophic situation. The natural disaster far beyond our imagination has given Japan of this modernization the big trial. The strong support from several foreigen countries such Korea, Germany and U.S.A encourages us, without mentioning the sufferer in the devastated areas. From now on, it will be a big ordeal how we overcome this difficulty.

Finally I express our hertfelt sympathy to all persons affected by the Tohoku Pacific Earthquake.

Shattered buildings housing the reactor containers.

I think part of it in crisis management is partly - information overload.

Partly - fatigue. These teams have been working 24/7 for 5 days now.

Partly culture. Partly not wanting to panic the public.

There are principle things that have happened.

However, talks about real genuine risk.

Like I said before the US military and other governments. If they say things like "YOU MUST LEAVE" to their citizens then you know there's a problem.

The French are doing it because they have an election coming up. The Russians are just bringing out support staff at their embassy. The Germans too for home political reasons - more elections.

Thats why the US response is the one to watch

The steel casing on at least one reactor is exposed and open to the elements. That's been widely reported.

The steel casing on at least one reactor is exposed and open to the elements. That's been widely reported.

No reactor 3 has an apparent crack in it.

Thats not the same as exposed or open to the elements.

Its the storage ponds causing the major concern now.

I think that's what you've confused it with

No reactor 3 has an apparent crack in it.

Thats not the same as exposed or open to the elements.

Its the storage ponds causing the major concern now.

I think that's what you've confused it with

Yes, I accept that could have been what I heard.

Yes, I accept that could have been what I heard.

It is a massive oversight if what the US NRC is saying is true, and they let the water boil off.

That could be classic mistake of fatigue/overwhelming information etc.

Because they allowed something that wasn't a problem , then become a problem whilst dealing with what was considered the main issue.

Certainly it could be that the number of reactors on one site might be exacerbating this information-overload issue for those making decisions..

Just received this email reply at work, not sure I should really put it in here, but its from a close contact in Tokyo. Thought it may just be of interest perhaps

Dear Alio

thank you for your encouraging e-mail.

I personally and my family are OK!

As for our company, we, all employees, their familly and our company facility, don't suffer serious damage in spite of the massive earthquake and Tsunami attacking the northeastern section of Japan on March 11, 2011. We have been focussing on the serious trouble in Fukushima nuclear power station which is 250km approximately far from the center of Tokyo in north-northeast direction and whose effect the Tokyo Electric Power Company has been trying to minimize in cooperation with the Japanese goverment since March 11, 2011.

Although some trouble is expected by the damage and the confusion of an infrastructure such electricity and transportation e.t.c. by the earthquake disaster, our company is doing business since March 14, 2011 as usual.

We would like to thank you for what you have done for our company and hope that you will continue to favor us with your generous support in the future.

P.S.

As you may know how huge the serious damages by the earthquake and tsunami are facing at northeastern of Japan, I also have no words to express its catastrophic situation. The natural disaster far beyond our imagination has given Japan of this modernization the big trial. The strong support from several foreigen countries such Korea, Germany and U.S.A encourages us, without mentioning the sufferer in the devastated areas. From now on, it will be a big ordeal how we overcome this difficulty.

Finally I express our hertfelt sympathy to all persons affected by the Tohoku Pacific Earthquake.

Its very true Alio. Its a very sad thing to see happen in Japan.

Seriously Alio, if you respond to them tell them if they're unsure of what their government is saying to watch what the USA government is saying and advising.

i.e. 50 miles (as suggested by the US) is a better distance - at this stage - to be than the 12mile/30km distance

I'd be telling my family exactly the same in that situation.

It is a massive oversight if what the US NRC is saying is true, and they let the water boil off.

That could be classic mistake of fatigue/overwhelming information etc.

Because they allowed something that wasn't a problem , then become a problem whilst dealing with what was considered the main issue.

Certainly it could be that the number of reactors on one site might be exacerbating this information-overload issue for those making decisions..

https://www.facebook.com/notes/inte...uake-update-16-march-2200-utc/202327553130372

The IAEA has released information about the temperature of the water in the spent fuel storage pools inside reactors 4, 5 and 6 at Fukushima Daiichi. Spent fuel that has been removed from a nuclear reactor generates intense heat and the water is usually kept below 25C. The IAEA says that the temperature of the pool at reactor 4 was 84C on Tuesday morning. On Wednesday morning, it was 62.7C at reactor 5 and 60C at reactor 6. Current reports say the pools at both reactors 3 and 4 are boiling. Reactor 4's pool may even be dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back