Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I thought they yellow card was ridiculous, as have a few of them he’s recieved, I’m glad it’s Burnley he’s missing and not spurs or city.
Agreed. I would have told him to get booked yesterday.

I just hope Keane or Godfrey can come in and do a job. However I was at turf moor a few years back when they beat us 3-2. Godfrey was poor.

Burnley is more winnable though and id rather have him for this game and put an even bigger gap.
I think we can win it with Keane/godfrey alongside tarks, or maybe even onana dropping into cb.

As we’ve proven the last week, we can give any team in the league a game with tarks and branthwaite so I’d prefer him for city and spurs.

I think we can win it with Keane/godfrey alongside tarks, or maybe even onana dropping into cb.

As we’ve proven the last week, we can give any team in the league a game with tarks and branthwaite so I’d prefer him for city and spurs.

I hope so but im not convinced. Both error prone nightmares.

He played 2022-2023 on loan at PSV, an interview with him going through what he learned on his short spell at Blackburn and then the season in Holland would be interesting, in terms of what he learned, and who brought him on and guided him. That's not to say he's learned the lot already, only that his early days promise seems to have been well spent and he's reaping the rewards of having got as much game time and been trusted as early as he has.
Think it's telling about his early ability that he could step up and go abroad at 20 years old to play nearly an entire season. Who managed that at the Everton end?

A lot of talk that Godfrey is being lined up for a move in January so we might start him to attempt to show he's worth more to us, on the other hand if he is lined up for a move do we risk him picking up an injury and jeopardising vital potential incoming funds.

A lot of talk that Godfrey is being lined up for a move in January so we might start him to attempt to show he's worth more to us, on the other hand if he is lined up for a move do we risk him picking up an injury and jeopardising vital potential incoming funds.

….we can think too much into these things. Dyche will select who he thinks is best suited to Burnley away.

No issue at all punting him, but I'd hope we at least have a loan lined up to replace him if this turns out to be true. Godfrey has never shown any sort of signs that he might become a top level centre back. Positionally poor, weak in the air, at best average in possession and prone to mistakes. His only real glimpses of promise have come as a full back and even that feels like a long time ago.

Back on topic, Branthwaite is arguably the biggest factor on the pitch in our upturn this season. The difference between having him alongside Tarkowski and having Michael Keane there is night and day. It's astonishing tbh just how quickly he's become a key player - centre back is arguably the position that it's most difficult for a young player to establish themselves at the top level yet we look rock solid with Tarkowski to his right and Mykolenko to his left.

at similar times in their career, I'd put JB above stones too. Stones was very confident in his abilities that once in a while, caught him out, I see JB as being a no nonsense, no frills defender that wont let his hubris be his occasional downfall. Both very good at a young age and not a great deal between them but JB just shades it for me.
Fair point. Yes I agree with you. I think within a few seasons we’ll see him scoring headed goals like Mountfield too. Tarkowski is being prioritised when we have corners with good reason currently

Imagine.

His adding goals to his game would be like the final infinity stone.

Also think Onana is in the exact same boat in that regard.

Agreed ;)

He's absolute class.

But remember when everyone wrote him off after that red card in the Brentford game a couple of seasons ago?

Lessons for us all there.

I dont remember me doing that :p

Nor with Mykolenko or Patterson :)

Higher ceiling than Stones this lad and already better than Stones was at this age. Incredible.

£120m now and an extra £5m to his price tag with every impressive game.

The £125mil was the number i gave a month or so ago.

But i wouldnt sell until weve had 2 or 3 more seasons of him.

See where quality takes us.

Come on, he looks fantastic but Stones is one of the best players in the world. He a key player for the European Champions. The ceiling doesn’t get that much higher.

Hes certainly not worse at defending.

We already need another midfielder, maybe 2 with gana 34 and is he out of contract next summer? , so that’s 3 then. I wouldn’t sell Onana or Branthwaite.
Pickford and DCL would be the first on the list to go if we need money

Exactly ;)

Hes certainly not worse at defending.
Far too early to tell if he is better defensively than Stones. He's more dominant in the air and looks stronger but it's a pretty small sample size when you are judging him as better than someone who has played and excelled at the very highest level of the game over a long period. He may well end up being a superior player but its way to early to tell.

I hope so but im not convinced. Both error prone nightmares.
They are, but at least Keggers offers a goal threat now and then. I’d honestly take a draw in this one. Can we keep it going with JB out after the euphoria of these 3 wins? I’m not sure, but whatever happens, we can’t afford to let Burnley get 3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back