Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
….remember the anti-Dyche brigade saying Branthwaite would never play ahead of Keane. Those comments were stupid then but look even more stupid now.

Just watched MOTD2 (we were 4th of 4 games on) and it was good to see Micah Richards do a feature on him. i’m on a betting site and somebody has put him up at 12-1 (365) to make the Euro squad, but of course a few of us highlighted 20-1 a while ago.

When you think Colwill is 4/11, yesterday was a good chance for Southgate to compare. I wouldn’t swap this lad for any other young English CB.

…..Branthwaite now into 7/2. No wonder Bet365 are offering to treble my initial stake if I cash-out. I think I’ll let my 20-1 run.

….despite my financial interest, I don’t entirely disagree.
The next England fixture is not until the Euro's start but there is bound to be some friendlies before around March/April time and if still playing well I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate calls him up to the camp just to have a look at even if he doesn't play.

I hope he stays at least another season (ideally longer). His value could reach around £100 million if he continues at the same trajectory of improvement given he signed the long term contract seemingly without any clauses. 21 years old. 6 foot 5 inches. Quick. Strong. Ball playing left footed centre half. As a poster previously mentioned, he does need to show he can defend a high line like Stones but he has all the tools to do so. Maguire was sold for circa £80-85 million in his mid twenties and he turns like an oil tanker.

Regarding England and the Euro squad (I'm also on at 16/1 horrible aftertiming) it will be interesting how it pans out. Southgate is ultra conservative as mentioned by others when it comes to bringing in new players. It's a bit of a closed shop.

But he does like to promote from the under 21s and Branthwaite is already captain. He watched the Everton vs Chelsea game and thankfully Branthwaite was excellent and in reality looked a far more accomplished centre back than Colwill.

I rate Stones, Branthwaite and Konza as the three best English centre backs.

But Southgate will obviously have Maguire and Stones as certainties bar injury.

I don't think Southgate is particularly high on Dunk and he has been reluctant to play Tomori. I don't think he really fancies him in the side for whatever reason.

I think Guehi is third choice at the moment. He has pace and has looked pretty good in the friendlies he played (albeit in a strong team against inferior sides).

As it currently stands I think Stones and Maguire are gimmies with Guehi third choice and Colwill the final centre back on the plane.

However, Colwill could easily be displaced - the issue is Konza might get the nod over Branthwaite.

Overall I think if Branthwaite can stay fit and continue his consistent form he will effectively force his way into the March squad. If he does that then he would surely stand an excellent chance of getting on the plane.

It would further aid his development to face the likes of Kane in training and he wouldn't be starting so it would be win win all round!

I hope he stays at least another season (ideally longer). His value could reach around £100 million if he continues at the same trajectory of improvement given he signed the long term contract seemingly without any clauses. 21 years old. 6 foot 5 inches. Quick. Strong. Ball playing left footed centre half. As a poster previously mentioned, he does need to show he can defend a high line like Stones but he has all the tools to do so. Maguire was sold for circa £80-85 million in his mid twenties and he turns like an oil tanker.

Regarding England and the Euro squad (I'm also on at 16/1 horrible aftertiming) it will be interesting how it pans out. Southgate is ultra conservative as mentioned by others when it comes to bringing in new players. It's a bit of a closed shop.

But he does like to promote from the under 21s and Branthwaite is already captain. He watched the Everton vs Chelsea game and thankfully Branthwaite was excellent and in reality looked a far more accomplished centre back than Colwill.

I don't think Southgate is particularly high on Dunk and he has been reluctant to play Tomori. I don't think he really fancies him in the side for whatever reason.

I think Guehi is third choice at the moment. He has pace and has looked pretty good in the friendlies he played (albeit in a strong team against inferior sides).

As it currently stands I think Stones and Maguire are gimmies with Guehi third choice and Colwill the final centre back on the plane.

However, Colwill could easily be displaced - the issue is Konza might get the nod over Branthwaite.

Overall I think if Branthwaite can stay fit and continue his consistent form he will effectively force his way into the March squad. If he does that then he would surely stand an excellent chance of getting on the plane.

It would further aid his development to face the likes of Kane in training and he wouldn't be starting so it would be win win all round!
Cracker post that mate, spot on!

Cracker post that mate, spot on!
Cheers mate. I really rate Tarks as well but he will never get a look in for whatever reason. I think Stones, Branthwaite, Konza and Tarks would be my four centre backs but Guehi does have pace and he has been decent at Palace plus he played well in those England friendlies so I can understand why Southgate would want him as an option.

Dunk can be loose with the ball which will surely frustrate Southgate (Chris Smalling factor) whilst Colwill has shown promise but even looking at it objectively, Branthwaite does genuinely look a good deal further along in his development.

I think it will come down to Konza or Branthwaite for the final spot behind Stones, Maguire and Guehi.

£100m, are you joking. People on claim Onana is £125m and Branthwaite is 3/4 times the player he is, so I fully expect to sell him for about £60m.

Not that I don’t think he’s good enough but he’s been nowhere near an England squad so far. Time is running out for Southgate to include him since he usually fills the squad with his favourites anyway.

The next England fixture is not until the Euro's start but there is bound to be some friendlies before around March/April time and if still playing well I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate calls him up to the camp just to have a look at even if he doesn't play.
I wouldn’t rule it out. Stones and Maguire are nailed, bafflingly so in the case of Maguire. Guehi looks pretty secure and an optimist might say there are signs of Southgate slowly bedding him into the starting 11 to replace Maguire. Then there’s Colwill who has the advantage of playing LB. I guess he’d have to dislodge one of them. There’s the international break in March and if he gets the call and impresses, and keeps up his current level of performance, then he’s got a chance IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back