2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

there was one ball he played out to Coleman with his left that had what the kids would call ‘swazz’ and it was like a line of Dylan Thomas poetry the way it sung through the air.

reminded me of the way Marcelo would strike across the ball. beautiful

There's been England representatives at our last 5 or 6 games by my reckoning

….good opportunity to compare with the young Palace CB last night although I thought both acquitted themselves well.
Looking at England I think Stones and Maguire are nailed for a place. Probably Guehi too as he's been slowly getting more game time this season for England. Then you have Walker who is RB but can play CB in a 3. Then Colwill who is not as good defensively as Branthwaite but can also play LB.

After that it's Dunk, Tomori, Konsa. I think Branthwaite can easily overtake these 3 but might be harder to displace the more nailed ones. A lot might depend on fitness of the nailed ones and also of the LBs (Shaw and Chilwell)

Looking at England I think Stones and Maguire are nailed for a place. Probably Guehi too as he's been slowly getting more game time this season for England. Then you have Walker who is RB but can play CB in a 3. Then Colwill who is not as good defensively as Branthwaite but can also play LB.

After that it's Dunk, Tomori, Konsa. I think Branthwaite can easily overtake these 3 but might be harder to displace the more nailed ones. A lot might depend on fitness of the nailed ones and also of the LBs (Shaw and Chilwell)
that's what will happen but he's good enough to displace slabhead right now

It's time not to become attached to any decent players we have, as they will be moved on for profit.

Even if we didn't need to sell, he'd be off anyway, if he carries on the way he has been.

Even when we were rolling in dough shortly after Moshiri took over, John Stones was off. Lukaku weren't that far behind out the exit door either.

Until the day arrives when we can match the wages on offer from clubs like City, Real, Man Utd etc, then we will always struggle to keep hold of top players. Even If we had Champions League, it would be difficult if one the of the aforementioned clubs can offer double, maybe triple the wages we can.

The fact that Maguire is a certainty ahead of Branthwaite tells you everything you need to know about Southgate as a manager and why England have no chance of winning anything despite the riches in our squad.