Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, has his extended run in goals shown any signs of improvement? I clearly don't see enough games to know but has he done enough to earn that spot?

I would say so yeah.

You can always improve no matter what the position, even the likes of Lukaku are replaceable if the right player is available but I would say the goalkeeper role isn't quite as pressing in terms of getting someone in as it was.

Why is that he was playing crap keeping Robles out kept three years too long if you don't like Robles that's n
My point another keeper could have been signed better than Stek!
Either try & refute my point that he was jarg in his first season or just leave it.

Don't bother talking about other keepers in your reply either.

Robles did have some rough patches in that first season for sure

I remember the Cup game in particular at Arsenal, a really poor performance

Since 14/15 onwards though I think he's proven himself to be competent at worst and decent at best

I honestly wouldn't mind him staying in as #1 and us buying some new defenders to play in front of him, which is a step up from how I felt at the start of the season. He's gone some way to winning me over this year. Yes, there's definitely some areas of his game that could be better, but overall I've been impressed this season, and I'm happy for him as he seems a good lad
For me yes was rubbish in his first season. However, since he's been given a chance he's been decent. I'd say he's on a par with most keepers at the moment.

I'd say, going by the old 'a goalie is only as good as the defence', getting 2 CB's in would be good if he's to stay as #1.

Also, are there any available Gk's who are considerably better out there currently? I'm not sure there are.

Joel is what 26, 27, so it can be said is is approaching his prime now? I think has many, many fine qualities as well as one or two flaws. How much of that is due to lack of talent, and how much is down to his relative inexperience (in terms of starts) or if it is simply down to confidence in that he has never felt he would be retained in the team, we should find out between now and the end of the season. I hope he does make it as I feel he has all the physical attributes required to be a top keeper, we just have to hope that the confidence instilled by a prolonged period of being no.1 will bring out the mental atributes such as sustained concentration too.

Robles was certainly not given fair treatment.

RM had some strange attachment to Howard despite clear evidence that the keeper was getting worse. Howard literally lost RM loads of
points and whenever Robles came in he played well keeping a series of clean sheets but no RM always reverted to his first choice.

Howard was responsible for one of the worst goals ever conceded by an EFC keeper when a midget out-jumped him from a 30 yard centre
yet he still kept his spot. Oh and in the same game he brought down a forward for no obvious reason and conceded a penalty. He screwed up loads of times yet Robles was ignored so to that extent Robles was mistreated.

Robles just got on with it and now he is the best keeper in the Premier this season - having stopped a higher percentage of shots than anyone else.

The best keeper in the premiership

@Moomin

Joel is 8/12 clean sheets. That's 66.6%. Stek was 2/16, 12.5%. Have to say those stats surprised me.

Next best keeper who has had a decent number of games is Courtois, 13/27, 48%.

Have to say he's making a case for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.