• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
What good is it him being so good if he isn't arsed playing for us? Think it is obvious he has never stopped wanting away from us, and sadly we will never see him at his best. So £50m can help us rebuild, as much as I don't like seeing promising players leave.

More I see more I think probably more suited to DM

nah, far too quick to lose concentration or lose the ball trying to be too clever
box to box maybe but he's got no real end product insofar as throughballs/shooting

also DM's need a decent header on them, to deal with goal kicks and long punts upfield

What good is it him being so good if he isn't arsed playing for us? Think it is obvious he has never stopped wanting away from us, and sadly we will never see him at his best. So £50m can help us rebuild, as much as I don't like seeing promising players leave.

He played fine tonight. He was at the centre of a three-man defence that kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford against, to name a few, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Fellaini, Rashford, Depay...

he's 22 years of age

he's also had 3 seasons as first choice and either doesn't or can't address the issues
fair enough if it was something you'd learn with experience, but a lot of the time it isn't - it's the lack of aerial ability and the hospital passes and just generally messing around in silly areas

plus he has no interest in playing for us and it shows

he's also had 3 seasons as first choice and either doesn't or can't address the issues
fair enough if it was something you'd learn with experience, but a lot of the time it isn't - it's the lack of aerial ability and the hospital passes and just generally messing around in silly areas

plus he has no interest in playing for us and it shows

one - no he hasn't had three seasons. Even after a good few months at the end of 13/14, he wasn't first choice heading into 14/15 mate, he came in cos of injuries to Jags and Distin... He was superb that season. So much so he got the big offer(s) from Chelsea.

Last year he was great up until Christmas time. Had a few bad games, made some high profile mistakes. No more than most other CBs do but due to other factors fans and media turn on the lad.

He's got about 8 years until, as a defender and an athlete, he'll hit his prime. He's already class.

And plenty of defenders weren't great in the air mate, but good at other things. Stones is very good in the tackle for his age and his positioning will improve with experience. With partnerships you have to strike a balance. For example, put Stones next to a commanding centre half like Williams (or most likely Kompany at the Etihad like) and then that covers his flaws and lets him do what he's good at.

And no it doesn't at all. When he first came into the side he was lauded for his composure off and on the ball, and his aura of 'I'm better than it'. Not in an arrogant way, but unflappable. Because of the odd mistake, that's now being judged as not caring.

I hate this thread...and I blame John Stones.

He is so damn good on the ball and does things that frankly no other center halves have done or do in a blue shirt. He exudes class...top rate talent with the ball in his feet. Looking like literally a world class player at a very young age.

That said, he's also equally frustrating as a defender for me. He shows flashes...which I suppose is down to his age...but more often than not he is a liability defensively, and has been from the jump.

Aerial defense? Non existent.
Positional awareness? Ball watches way too much.
Discipline? 'What is this discipline thing?' -John Stones

He has the potential to be one of the best in the world. We all know it and see it. BUT he is nowhere near that player today, and hasn't shown much to say he's going to make that leap as a defender.

Stones is sexy as hell, but so is 50 mil.

For me, today, Ashley Williams is the better defender, and defenders are paid to defend. Our biggest problem for the last two years have been shambolic defending. What a weird place to be when you are choosing Ashley William over John Stones in your head.

It's a difficult truth for me, and if we pull off the Williams deal, we will be better defensively...which is the #1 reason we've fallen so far in the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back