John Textor

So why hasn't he waited until that sale has gone through and then announce "exclusivity"?

If that sale was going to go through so quickly and easily as you suggest?

We've seen multiple takeovers of Everton fail, and this one could very well fail. He'd be daft to get rid of stake in Palace before he knew a deal with us could actually happen.

It’s what I was saying earlier mate, you always have to see where the money is coming from, it appears Textor or Eagle Group holding are no strangers to debt, in fact they borrow at rates higher or equal to our own which begs the question are they a serious upgrade on what we have- how do they intend to buy Everton, how do they intend to manage the debt and how do they intend to fund the business - the club has a liquidity and debt management issue and Eagke group seem to take out debt to manage liquidity - that’s not a good mix.

A little bit more digging showed that they bought Lyon for 400 odd million Euros, that money was borrowed and actually secured against their stake in Crystal Palace. So the group is holding a lot of debt with high interest payments, that despite the assets it has doesn’t seem to have the ready liquidity, so meet the shortfall with debt and a high rate of interest - not quite the sugar daddy some may think he is.

Personally, this makes no sense to me - it’s not logical - to the point that it can be true, for a few reasons.

1) The stupidest thing he could do is enter exclusivity with Everton trying to sell his Palace stake, no serious buyer will offer him a even what’s it’s probably worth - if they know he has a deadline and pressure to sell. Doing a deal for Everton collapses his Palace stake. If he has done just that - we don’t want him here.

2) The loan he has for Lyon is secured against his Palace stake - so that’s a mess.

3) It doesn’t seem he has the liquidity.

4) This hasn’t been confirmed by the club and if it is…..

5) Based on the above and timing I’m suspicious it may be cozy agreement between Moshiri and Textor, to gain notoriety, with the season starting Moshiri heads off any fan unrest and keeps the plates spinning, 3 months of the stadium completion.

The only way this works is if he has a buyer and a deal done for Palace but based on the above, not sure this is any type of upgrade on Moshiri, be likely more of the same.

Overall Textor wants to float Eagle group on the Stock Exchange, his motivation is he wants Everton as a historical brand to be part of that.

Can understand what you're saying. Many of the same points as Alastair here and I agree with him

So why hasn't he waited until that sale has gone through and then announce "exclusivity"?

If that sale was going to go through so quickly and easily as you suggest?
I would imagine he will keep hold of them until he has completed his due diligence with Everton.

It would be pretty stupid if he sold his Palace shares then decided he didn't want to buy the Everton shares.

Despite my other replies to you I am like 60% leaning towards that Moshiri is kicking the can down the road.

I fear that this is all yet again manipulation and playing of the fanbase

Unfortunately far too many lap it all up and don't want to hear anything that counters it

This poster knows however the score 👇 . So a bright point for me is that many in the fanbase know they're being played and can see through it.

A new ownership story and period of exclusivity is the same as Everton bidding 20-25m for a pacy winger every season, knowing they'll get rejected.

No Moshiri, it's not the thought that counts!

Moshiri came here because he couldn't get control of Arsenal and felt that he could use us to show how good an owner he would be, and to scratch that itch.

Seems the same with Textor.

I dont like it.

It’s what I was saying earlier mate, you always have to see where the money is coming from. It appears Textor or Eagle Group holding are no strangers to debt, in fact they borrow at rates higher or equal to our own which begs the question are they a serious upgrade on what we have- how do they intend to buy Everton, how do they intend to manage the debt and how do they intend to fund the business - the club has a liquidity and debt management issue and Eagle group seem to take out debt to manage liquidity - that’s not a good mix.

A little bit more digging showed that they bought Lyon for 300 odd million Euros, that money was borrowed and actually secured against their stake in Crystal Palace. So the group is holding a lot of debt with high interest payments. Despite the assets it has (like 777) it doesn’t seem to have the ready liquidity, so meet the shortfall with debt and a high rate of interest - not quite the sugar daddy some may think he is.

Personally, this makes no sense to me - it’s not logical - to the point that it can be true, for a few reasons.

1) The stupidest thing he could do is enter exclusivity with Everton trying to sell his Palace stake, no serious buyer will offer him what it’s probably worth - if they know he has a deadline and pressure to sell. Doing a deal for Everton collapses his Palace stake. If he has done just that - we don’t want him here.

2) The loan he has for Lyon is secured against his Palace stake - so that’s a mess.

3) They don’t seem to have the liquidity.

5) Based on the above and timing I’m suspicious it may be cozy agreement between Moshiri and Textor, to gain notoriety, with the season starting Moshiri heads off any fan unrest and keeps the plates spinning, 3 months of the stadium completion. Ultimately ending with non completion.

The only way this works is if he has a buyer and a deal done for Palace but based on the above, not sure this is any type of upgrade on Moshiri, be likely more of the same.

Overall Textor wants to float Eagle group on the Stock Exchange, his motivation is he wants Everton as a historical brand to be part of that.
Agreed, he’s just a lighter variation of 777, unbelievable that people on here are ready to welcome him, what’s the odds on a embargo interview breaking tonight with him making all kinds of gushing comments about winning the lot with Everton, the fact that there’s been no official confirmation from the club should set alarm bells ringing, it smacks of more desperation from the Persian Vincent Tan

Break it down for the simpletons like me and Matty please Neil.

It’s what I was saying earlier mate, you always have to see where the money is coming from. It appears Textor or Eagle Group holding are no strangers to debt, in fact they borrow at rates higher or equal to our own which begs the question are they a serious upgrade on what we have- how do they intend to buy Everton, how do they intend to manage the debt and how do they intend to fund the business - the club has a liquidity and debt management issue and Eagle group seem to take out debt to manage liquidity - that’s not a good mix.

A little bit more digging showed that they bought Lyon for 300 odd million Euros, that money was borrowed and actually secured against their stake in Crystal Palace. So the group is holding a lot of debt with high interest payments. Despite the assets it has (like 777) it doesn’t seem to have the ready liquidity, so meet the shortfall with debt and a high rate of interest - not quite the sugar daddy some may think he is.

1) The stupidest thing he could do is enter exclusivity with Everton trying to sell his Palace stake, no serious buyer will offer him what it’s probably worth - if they know he has a deadline and pressure to sell. Doing a deal for Everton collapses his Palace stake. If he has done just that - we don’t want him here.

5) Based on the above and timing I’m suspicious it may be cozy agreement between Moshiri and Textor, to gain notoriety, with the season starting Moshiri heads off any fan unrest and keeps the plates spinning, 3 months of the stadium completion. Ultimately ending with non completion.

Has Ornstein jumped the gun on this because there is nothing at all from Everton about him getting a period of exclusivity. Just seems to be in talks according to the 'rumours' which is not exclusivity, not by a long shot.

5) Based on the above and timing I’m suspicious it may be cozy agreement between Moshiri and Textor, to gain notoriety, with the season starting Moshiri heads off any fan unrest and keeps the plates spinning, 3 months of the stadium completion.

You are definitley right to ask such questions. There's stuff there to occupy our thoughts.

However, is it really possible that all this borrowing / leveraging doesn't have a foundation in real wealth? If this was Joe Blow we should be very concerned. But this feller is from an old money family in corporate terms and though he may be a distant relative is it likely he;d be a complete huckster? I doubt it.

He's invested in digital broadcasting sports and various other entertainment media and has gotten involved in sports club ownership. Surely that's the source of his own personal wealth? I remember a time when we were desperate to get Kenwright out of the club to sell up to an outfit like Clear Channel - a similar prospect to Textor and his area of business interests.

Ilm not saying rush in where angels fear to tread, but I do think we need to stop believing there's clearly good guys and bad guys out there in terms of our ownership. All of them will be speculators and they'll all come with a history of using other people's / organisation's cash to get ventures off the ground.

Last edited:
Has Ornstein jumped the gun on this because there is nothing at all from Everton about him getting a period of exclusivity. Just seems to be in talks according to the 'rumours' which is not exclusivity, not by a long shot.
My reading of it is that the terminology has changed from 'period of exclusivity' to 'holding formative talks' because they know how this plays with fans and onlookers: ie cynically.

They're not going to place themselves under pressure to get it done in a set 'exclusive period' of time, but they do want fans to know something might happen.

You are definitley right to ask such questions. There's stuff to occupy our thoughts.

However, is it really possible that all this borrowing / leveraging doesn't have a foundation in real wealth? If this was Joe Blow we should be very concerned. But this feller is from an old money family in corporate terms and though he may be a distant relative is it likely he;d be a complete huckster? I doubt it.

He's invested in digital broadcasting sports and various other entertainment media and has gotten involved in sports. Surely that's the source of his own personal wealth? I remember a time when we were desperate to get Kenwright out of the club to sell up to an outfit like Clear Channel - a similar prospect to Textor and his area of business interests.

Ilm not saying rush where angels fear to tread, but I do think we need to stop believing there's clearly good guys and bad guys out there in terms of our ownership. All of them will speculators and they'll all come with a history of using other people's / organisation's cash to get ventures off the ground.

Wishful thinking though mate isn’t it.

Remember when people were telling us not to worry about our finances because,
we had a billionaire accountant.

We want more then he’s a second cousin of real money, had a skateboarding show and had a few shares in Facebook. We need substance, we want money coming from a group into the club - like TFG were prepared to wipe out the MSP debt in a week.

What we do have here is a track record of how Eagle group invested in other football clubs and how they raised that money - I’ll happily be corrected but just going on and reporting the trodden factual step stones.

To be honest I’m not sure I believe any of this…..

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back