2021/22 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy for Pickford being a goalkeeper for England, David Seaman at 58 years old today will look good as well in Southgate's setup.

When you have 7 defensive players in a low block all pinned in static positions 30 yards from goal then it's easier to limit chances.

Look at the awful Harry Maguire, he has a shield of 6 players surrounding him, minimising his glaring laughable stealing a living limitations.

But what i will say is England have not produced a top goalkeeper in decades, England just produces shot stoppers with glaring limitations.

Since Seaman quit England (who was limited by today's standards)) the list of England goalkeepers from Robinson, Green, Butland, Foster, Hart, Pickford, Pope, Johnston, Ramsdale are all cut form the same cloth, quick reflex shot stoppers and awful with the ball at their feet and poor command of the area, is it no wonder none of them play or played for a an absolute top club in Europe or the PL besides Hart who Pep got rid of as soon as he arrived, and seems to be a 3rd choice goalkeeper the last 5 seasons at multiple clubs.

England goalkeepers are about 2 decades behind top nations, not sure what the coaching blueprint is but it's no surprise that you see academy teams with mainly foreign goalkeepers now, something wrong at grassroots in England in developing goalkeepers to a modern standard.
You left David James out of ya list, oh yeah he played for you lot

If he does get sold then I would want a keeper that actually comes off his line to collect crosses etc. Dominant of the box. I would sacrifice shot stopping slightly for that type of keeper. You wonder why we concede so many set pieces it's because are defenders must win the header because the keeper will be rooted to his line
Spot on. I thought I was the only person who has noticed this, it’s so obvious. JP punches everything, basically because he’s just not big enough, not much he can do about that though. A keeper who is dominant in the air from crosses/corners takes huge pressure off his defenders.

It's easy for Pickford being a goalkeeper for England, David Seaman at 58 years old today will look good as well in Southgate's setup.

When you have 7 defensive players in a low block all pinned in static positions 30 yards from goal then it's easier to limit chances.

Look at the awful Harry Maguire, he has a shield of 6 players surrounding him, minimising his glaring laughable stealing a living limitations.

But what i will say is England have not produced a top goalkeeper in decades, England just produces shot stoppers with glaring limitations.

Since Seaman quit England (who was limited by today's standards)) the list of England goalkeepers from Robinson, Green, Butland, Foster, Hart, Pickford, Pope, Johnston, Ramsdale are all cut form the same cloth, quick reflex shot stoppers and awful with the ball at their feet and poor command of the area, is it no wonder none of them play or played for a an absolute top club in Europe or the PL besides Hart who Pep got rid of as soon as he arrived, and seems to be a 3rd choice goalkeeper the last 5 seasons at multiple clubs.

England goalkeepers are about 2 decades behind top nations, not sure what the coaching blueprint is but it's no surprise that you see academy teams with mainly foreign goalkeepers now, something wrong at grassroots in England in developing goalkeepers to a modern standard.

How do you sleep at night HongKongToffee?

How do you sleep at night HongKongToffee?
A tap in this…

2C65B70F-D245-4E49-BB69-243103E71C22.jpeg

You can tell he's having a good season because it's December and this thread only has 34 pages.
He's having a better season but still not without fault & can improve. His constant punts up the wing which 9 times out of 10 are over hit & go out of play wind me up. I get what he's trying to do but he's not very good at it despite this myth that he is. It just loses us possession quickly & invites pressure right back on us. Still flaps a lot too.

He's having a better season but still not without fault & can improve. His constant punts up the wing which 9 times out of 10 are over hit & go out of play wind me up. I get what he's trying to do but he's not very good at it despite this myth that he is. It just loses us possession quickly & invites pressure right back on us. Still flaps a lot too.
I agree with most of that, especially his aerial ability. Ancelotti recognised this and its why we used the deep line on set pieces to allow the centre half's to win it, taking the pressure off JP.

I do however think we've been a bit spoilt with his kicking and we overlook things that seem simple to him but other keepers struggle with. Nick Pope, for example, would most likely keep the ball in more, but that's because he's just clearing it to an area and not passing it. Pickford is probably a victim of trying to be too precise and tbf his kicking is still probably the best in the league aside from the 2 Brazilians for me.

And not to blame the manager for everything... but this style of footy doesn't help.

I agree with most of that, especially his aerial ability. Ancelotti recognised this and its why we used the deep line on set pieces to allow the centre half's to win it, taking the pressure off JP.

I do however think we've been a bit spoilt with his kicking and we overlook things that seem simple to him but other keepers struggle with. Nick Pope, for example, would most likely keep the ball in more, but that's because he's just clearing it to an area and not passing it. Pickford is probably a victim of trying to be too precise and tbf his kicking is still probably the best in the league aside from the 2 Brazilians for me.

And not to blame the manager for everything... but this style of footy doesn't help.
That's fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.