2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those anti Pickford pundits certainly have a following.
There's constant criticism of his distribution in the comments on reports in the papers.
But what is he to do whenever he plays it short it's passed back to him.
Tbf, his distribution yesterday wasn’t great. One of his saves he had to make came from a long ball up field which was nowhere near an England player.

However, even when it was good, Kane either didn’t jump or his timing was atrocious so he had already landed before the ball was within 10 yards of him.

We're so protective of him. Thought he did OK. Not at fault for goals. Distribution was reasonable. Not his fault the hold up play was non existent. I can't get too excited if pundits criticise him. It's not an Everton issue.

I’d put Pat Jennings in there with those two.
Agree fine keeper.
Shilton and clemence not bad either but slightly below those three.
Don't think pickford is as good as any of them though.
Nigel martyn was better for me as well.
Then again they are not what you could call a modern players who have the ball at there feet as much as in there hands.
The modern footballs move in the air more as well.

I'm not saying he hasn't but 2 finals 2 losses and how we score and try to defend the lead for 88 mins against Italy on home soil and then go 1 down pull it back and try to defend it to go to extra time that defines Southgate
I think it is time to go for the reasons you mention but he’s been at the helm eight years now and whilst he had done decent (certainly in terms of qualification and the tournaments themselves, I think he has gone as far as he can) - I agree he is a little too cautious.

Agree fine keeper.
Shilton and clemence not bad either but slightly below those three.
Don't think pickford is as good as any of them though.
Nigel martyn was better for me as well.
Then again they are not what you could call a modern players who have the ball at there feet as much as in there hands.
The modern footballs move in the air more as well.
Pickford has been a far more successful England goalkeeper than anybody bar Banks - and Banks only played in a couple of tournaments.

Clemence - a great goalkeeper - is best remembered in an England shirt for having the ball put through his legs by Kenny Dalglish. Shilton - a great goalkeeper - is best remembered for a howler in the critical qualifier with Poland at Wembley that cost Alf Ramsay his job, and for looking 106 against West German penalties at Italia '90. We won't mention the leaden feet for the Parker OG in the same game or the inability to Harald Schumacher Maradona when the genius midget scored his hand of God goal.

The likes of David Seaman - another celebrated figure - had anguished days in the England shirt (Ronaldinho, Macedonia).

But, of course, Jordan doesn't play for a glamorous club right now, so he gets treated like Southgate (Jonathan Liew in the Guardian podcast last night was claiming the manager was a "loser who smelled of Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough". This is a "respected" journalist descending to the gutter. No wonder Pickford is treated with contempt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back