2023/24 Jordan Pickford

If United go for Southgate, will he try to take him to United?

Wouldn't begrudge him the move, deserves his shot but he will be difficult to replace

I just think of the man utd fans that give us abuse saying they have the better keeper. Onana has been far from anywhere near the top of the best keepers, and got away with so much this season. that today was off course so similar to the wolves punch

Ive rated Pickford for many seasons, even when our own said he was rubbish - No keeper in the world is perfect.

I believe I posted that I wanted him before we signed him. Was excited when we were linked and hes really grown as a player with us.

With us having these financial issues and him being 30 it would make sense to sell at this point and bring in a young replacement to develop with us and become at least as good.

At the same time though, hes crucial to our defence being so solid. I wonder how many years he has in him...

I believe I posted that I wanted him before we signed him. Was excited when we were linked and hes really grown as a player with us.

With us having these financial issues and him being 30 it would make sense to sell at this point and bring in a young replacement to develop with us and become at least as good.

At the same time though, hes crucial to our defence being so solid. I wonder how many years he has in him...
I fear without him we would be significantly weaker. Our defensive record this season has been brilliant. If we had a good winger and a goalscorer we would have been somewhere around 8-10th

Still cant believe people were saying drop him for Virginia.

A WALL!!!!
Did some people really? I mean I liked Virginia in the cup earlier, good back up keeper, but no reason to replace our No 1, that had a brilliant game in the last 3 games and a lot of games earlier in the season.

He has some flaws at defending crosses, he is not Ederson or Neuer with the ball, hasn't saved any of 8 pens against us, but he does the main task of GK very well, stopping shots on the line.

4th best shot stopping percentage, 2nd most clean sheets, 4th best value in conceding goals, 6th best passing value over 40y passes, something we use a lot.

One position we are solid in. He's gone from having the worst error leading to goals stat a few years ago to an absolute rock. he'll have dodgy games, they all do but all in, he's been brilliant for us for a few seasons now for me.

The Pickford- Tarkowski- Branthwaite defence has been immense this season. I think Tarks is very unlucky to be continuously overlooked for England but glad that Southgate ignores all the nonsense spouted about Pickford.

Being 30? You mean coming into the recognised prime years for a goalkeeper?
Martyn is the best keeper we've had since Southall pre pickford and he was 37 when he finally arrived

I think we just need a goal keeper good enough for the defence to feel confident.
A young keeper fighting relegation could be a very nervous keeper. Want a keeper that has been through the wobbly time and now mature enough for the next 4 years…
Jack Butland.
Would def be a drop in quality, but would be getting a mature head.

Bad goalkeeping is a route to the championship. There’s no wiggle room to “develop” a goalkeeper to “become” as good as Pickford. How did that go with Bazunu or Trafford? I sincerely hope Pickford is here to stay but if not we’ll need experience not some kid learning on the job.

Bad goalkeeping is a route to the championship. There’s no wiggle room to “develop” a goalkeeper to “become” as good as Pickford. How did that go with Bazunu or Trafford? I sincerely hope Pickford is here to stay but if not we’ll need experience not some kid learning on the job.
Bad goalkeeping relegated Leicester last season. They went from Schmeichel the Younger to not-ready-for-prime-time, coughed up a bunch of early season goals, and went from 8th to sayonara on the back of that and a decline in offensive production.

Letting Pickford go is way too much of a risk until we sort the attack, and questionable even then.