2024/25 Jordan Pickford

He was not assertive enough on those goals

I dont often criticise him but you can't be allowing efforts that close to your goal. Go deal with it
In the first half, he went for a ball in our box and flapped at it, and right after he was holding his groin; he looked slow to a ball a few seconds before, too.

He didn't look comfortable for the rest of the half, and it did make me wonder if that's partly why Tarkowski was passing the ball to him for the GKs.

Now I know it's a longer-standing issue in terms of going for balls, but after that I did worry if his mobility had been impacted because he was moving gingerly.

Should he have been more assertive? Yes. But equally, his centre backs should be clearing those balls, too!

He’s saved us countless times, and he made some good saves again, but he doesn’t like coming for crosses even in his 6 yard box.
I only saw the short highlights from the game, couldn`t sit through any longer than that, but 2 of those goals came from crosses into the 6 yard area. Regardless of how many times he made crucial save during the game, its basic goalkeeping to deal with those type of crosses, and teams know its a big weakness of ours especially if they get our back four turned and create a bit of space in that area. If Pickford comes and claims the crosses for the second goal, he can take his time with his clearance, time that would allow us to calm down and reorganize.
I`m saying yesterday was all Pickford`s fault, it was a team effort, but just getting the simple thing of catching a cross would have helped out yesterday.

He doesn't command his area as good as he should do K I agree, but the 3 headers today are the kind you need your centre halves to be cleaning up. The centre halves are nowhere to be seen on each goal and the full backs....well the less I say the better as I don't want to get banned.

I agree. Defenders standing round in front of him like ones of Lewis's...especially Keane aka Jethro Bodene, staring into space mindless of crosses and unmarked attackers. For all his faults, having a rickety shambles of a defence in front of him does him no favours whatsoever either.

In the first half, he went for a ball in our box and flapped at it, and right after he was holding his groin; he looked slow to a ball a few seconds before, too.

He didn't look comfortable for the rest of the half, and it did make me wonder if that's partly why Tarkowski was passing the ball to him for the GKs.

Now I know it's a longer-standing issue in terms of going for balls, but after that I did worry if his mobility had been impacted because he was moving gingerly.

Should he have been more assertive? Yes. But equally, his centre backs should be clearing those balls, too!

Think it was his hip mate, jarred it when he landed

He just has to cut that 1st cross out, look where it’s bounced.

IMG_4598.jpeg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back