2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford is a good signing of that there is no doubt, however I have noticed that he seems to get a little to over excited coming out of his area sometimes...
I hope our goal keeping coach is telling him to stay in his goal longer to make it harder for the opposition to score, on two occasions yesterday he came rushing out of his goal area like a goalie possessed nearly gifting a goal & giving a penalty away.

He needs to calm down & assess the situation a lot more & not cause panic by making rash decisions, this will come with experience hopefully as he is work in progress.

How can we doubt this lad?
He is about 1.2m times better than Robles or Stekelekelenburg.
So he makes some rash decisions, he's a kid!
Needs to learn though...

Very surprised that goal keeping coach has not picked up on this, the longer you stand your ground the harder you make it for the striker.....Alternatively if you rush out sometimes the easier you make it for the striker...
It's all part of the keepers decision making that is key & separates the great keepers from the good....

Needs to learn though...

Very surprised that goal keeping coach has not picked up on this, the longer you stand your ground the harder you make it for the striker.....Alternatively if you rush out sometimes the easier you make it for the striker...
It's all part of the keepers decision making that is key & separates the great keepers from the good....

I totally agree.
But you can't just expect him to be making the decisions that he will make once he's got 100, 200, 300 appearances under his best.
He's a kid!
That Donuramamama fella makes some sketchy choices. De Gea was a few years ago. Courtois not last season, the season before seemed lost of confidence.

I totally agree.
But you can't just expect him to be making the decisions that he will make once he's got 100, 200, 300 appearances under his best.
He's a kid!
That Donuramamama fella makes some sketchy choices. De Gea was a few years ago. Courtois not last season, the season before seemed lost of confidence.

Premiership keepers should already have this ability installed in their engines...however I take the point that he will improve with experience & his decision making will get better...

He makes some brilliant saves and his distribution is excellent but he tends to rush out of goal a bit quick from time to time.
But that will come with experience.
He will be great for us
See this is one of the things I think people have a blind spot with. Occasionally he pings out an absolute beauty which very few keepers can do, but in general I 'm not sure his distribution is all that great. If we're honest, his kicking has been suspect on many occasions - he kicks with a very flat trajectory which can look great when well executed but leads to a fair few scuffs.

See this is one of the things I think people have a blind spot with. Occasionally he pings out an absolute beauty which very few keepers can do, but in general I 'm not sure his distribution is all that great. If we're honest, his kicking has been suspect on many occasions - he kicks with a very flat trajectory which can look great when well executed but leads to a fair few scuffs.

His distribution with his left peg is the best of any keeper in the league mate, with his rigth yeah he sucks on that lol

as for the rushing off hi line, he's doing it because time and again this season the cb's have let people ghost past them for tap ins, they also never ever get onto anything bouncing loose as well, so it's a good sign he's trying to adjust for that and take it into his own hands

Status
Not open for further replies.