2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so are the midfielders and any forwards who care to track back. But to simply single out the keeper when the back four lets the opposition line up for potshots all game isn't fair, nor all that insightful. A keeper lets in the only shot he faces and his team loses 1-0, fine, he's the goat (no pun intended), but if he's beaten twice in a loss while facing a dozen shots or more and keeps his team in the game, he's still responsible for the defeat? Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Whatever happened to winning and losing as a team?

I didnt say it was down to the GK and I do agree, sometimes the keeper is blameless, but the defence as a UNIT either keeps a clean sheet or doesnt. Now whether the defensive unit is the GK, 2 CBs, 2 FBs and 2 DMs, its on ALL of those to keep a clean sheet.

Of course the team wins or loses as a unit, but IMO, clean sheets are down to the defensive players, goals are down to the attacking players.

so as it stands, one of these goalkeepers will win the world cup

Thibaut Courtois - Chelsea / Belgium - 1.99m - conceded 4 goals
Fernando Muslera - Galatasaray / Uruguay - 1.90m - conceded 1 goal
Alisson Becker - Roma / Brazil - 1.93m - conceded 1 goal
Hugo Lloris - Tottenham / France - 1.88m - conceded 4 goals
Jordan Pickford - Everton / England - 1.85m - conceded 4 goals
Robin Olsen - Malmo / Sweden - 1.98m - conceded 2 goals
Danijel Subasic - Monaco / Croatia - 1.91m - conceded 2 goals
Igor Akinfeev - CSKA Moscow / Russia - 1.85m - conceded 5 goals

so as it stands, one of these goalkeepers will win the world cup

Thibaut Courtois - Chelsea / Belgium - 1.99m - conceded 4 goals
Fernando Muslera - Galatasaray / Uruguay - 1.90m - conceded 1 goal
Alisson Becker - Roma / Brazil - 1.93m - conceded 1 goal
Hugo Lloris - Tottenham / France - 1.88m - conceded 4 goals
Jordan Pickford - Everton / England - 1.85m - conceded 4 goals
Robin Olsen - Malmo / Sweden - 1.98m - conceded 2 goals
Danijel Subasic - Monaco / Croatia - 1.91m - conceded 2 goals
Igor Akinfeev - CSKA Moscow / Russia - 1.85m - conceded 5 goals

No trolling; on a standard season performance, I would put him fourth on that list, what do you reckon Spud

I didnt say it was down to the GK and I do agree, sometimes the keeper is blameless, but the defence as a UNIT either keeps a clean sheet or doesnt. Now whether the defensive unit is the GK, 2 CBs, 2 FBs and 2 DMs, its on ALL of those to keep a clean sheet.

Of course the team wins or loses as a unit, but IMO, clean sheets are down to the defensive players, goals are down to the attacking players.

And if the keeper is the strongest link in an otherwise very weak chain, he's got no chance. Pickford hasn't had a defence in front of him that's helped earn those clean sheets over the last two seasons, has he? Put even a half-assed back four in front of him and see what happens; but when your back four includes any or all of the likes of Jagielka, Williams, Martina, Keane (tho I still hold out some hope for him) and a waning Baines, well, even Stevie Wonder can see what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back