Kenwright vows to back moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
From skysports.com

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has vowed to back David Moyes in the transfer market if they qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

The Toffees are on track to qualify for the lucrative Champions League as they currently sit in fourth spot in the Premier League.

Moyes has called on the club's chiefs to provide him with substantial funds to build on his success and Kenwright says money will be made available to Moyes if they can reach the Champions League.

"Of course, that is where we all want to be, playing the big club," said Kenwright. "If David gets us into the Champions League I will be crying tears of joy.

Millions
"And at the back of my head I'll be thinking money, money - millions. Why? To give it to David to spend.

"We haven't got the same resources. Spurs spent £16million in just one day last month.

"What we've always done, and David would be the first to say this, is try to give him what he wants each close season - by pulling at least one rabbit out of the hat."

Lets hope he's still not waiting for the sports fortress funds to come through!!

Champions league or not, the manager should get the full backing of the moneymen. For the fantastic job he's done at our great club.

i cant tell if its cleverness or otherwise. talk up champions league qualification on the weekend the [Poor language removed] waltz out of the fa cup with increasing doubts about their players and manager, so as to add even more pressure, especially when they face inter midweek.

could be an innocently timed sound bite, but

Bill Kenwright said:
If David gets us into the Champions League I will be crying tears of joy. And at the back of my head I'll be thinking money, money - millions.

thats not even a misquote, has the man never known the media and the spin associated. he works in the entertainment industry, with the press, and has been for 40 years.

the big palooka. (hes still a top geezer though)

Last edited:
Having looked round the leagues and compared what other clubs have got and achieved I think Bills doing a great job and I also think he'll be as good as his word as no third parties can interfere with that promise this time. There again I have always wanted my club to be Blue owned by a Brit hence I am more than happy

Insinuation

Is he insinuating that if we don't qualify for the CL, there's no backing. That Moyes will have to get a summer job at Butlins if he wants any money.

Bill's always vowing to back Moyes. It's what he does, makes promises and grand gestures. We'll see how he sticks to it if and when we qualify for the CL (I doubt we will, unfortunately). Still, like someone else said, Bill's a nice bloke.

I think he will back moyes but i also think moyes won't ask for stupid amounts of money for one or two players.
From what i see were not that far of a really good side (right back & midfield maybe).

We have the players, now we need to change the style we play and thats down to the training staff.

well, sounding out lucho gonzales last summer shows moyes was looking for that midfield all rounder.

obviously signing pienaar first thing is priority.

who is on the out in the summer? vdm, wessels, valente,?

there isnt a great deal of fat on the squad, i cant see gravesen staying, vidarsson has left already, munny is playing for a contract (maybe), gardner is only a loan, the OS has boyle, gosling, irving, jutkiewicz, and rodwell in the senior numbers, but i dont think thats entirely accurate.

I think what he meant he would get more money to spent if we made it into CL, which I believe we would , although it is still a little early as RS still have slightly better goal difference, if we could drag out a 6~7 points gap by end of March we are onto something for sure.

Lets face it, how many sugar daddy chairmen actually put their hands in their own pockets to fund player purchases? Man Utd have funded their spending due to an exceptional commercial operation and extensive ticket price increases. Liverpool have done so with large loans. Chelsea and to an extent Spurs have managed to spend beyond their means but neither have had the success of the two clubs that have spent within their means (Arsenal and United). Be careful what you wish for with chairman as at the moment we have one who's a fan of the club. If we got a rich foreigner they would want profit. Don't complain if one comes in and then hikes ticket prices extensively.

Lets face it, how many sugar daddy chairmen actually put their hands in their own pockets to fund player purchases? Man Utd have funded their spending due to an exceptional commercial operation and extensive ticket price increases. Liverpool have done so with large loans. Chelsea and to an extent Spurs have managed to spend beyond their means but neither have had the success of the two clubs that have spent within their means (Arsenal and United). Be careful what you wish for with chairman as at the moment we have one who's a fan of the club. If we got a rich foreigner they would want profit. Don't complain if one comes in and then hikes ticket prices extensively.

haha, I know what you mean I don't want us to over spend and get ourselve into trouble financially, and I feel we are all pretty happy the squad is slowly coming together, and few more addition in the summer would really start to make thing happen for us, so let's hope the right player are available at a fair price and we could carry on build the squad to win things in the coming season.

It's the dichotomy of football fans.

We want someone to throw money at the club but ideally we don't want it to be us (ie we complain at ticket price hikes etc.).

We are happy for the club to 'tap into' foreign markets, providing they don't go too far and suggest an extra game played abroad.

We also don't want any individual wealthy enough to treat the club as a plaything/tax write off to be involved in any dubious extra curricular activities.

Oh, and judging by other clubs most fans certainly don't want to take the slow road to success that we take. They want things to happen yesterday.

We also don't want any individual wealthy enough to treat the club as a plaything/tax write off to be involved in any dubious extra curricular activities.

Oh, and judging by other clubs most fans certainly don't want to take the slow road to success that we take. They want things to happen yesterday

Chelsea is a good example I am interested to see what would happen if there owner decide to let go his ownership in the near future, what would happen to them?

The best example of quick success got to be Newcastle, they are willing to spend money but what ever they buy is either injure prone or players that don't play well together, I honestly felt a bit sorry for them and it was certainly stupid to let Big Sam go, I hope this one would stay a bit longer.

I am a firm believer of foundation build up on the strength of the squad, and they way things has happen during the 90s' and up to Moyes take over, we have been playing to still up in the Premiership, and 5 years since Moyes has taken over we are finally building a squad capable of winning things, and I certainly looks forward to who we could bring in during summer to make our squad stronger.

we have had two summers of breaking our transfer record (AJ, then yak), added too the january signing of what was then the record when we signed beattie.

progressively we have increased player spending, can we keep going or will we plateau?

one of the hurdles as i see it is that moyes could be a victim of his own success, when it is leaked that he is interested in signing a player how often are expecting to be gazumped? who might now move for ledley or bradley for instance.

we saw what happened with fernandes, could moyes go back and try for gonzales?

obviously the higher profile euro games will help us to register on players and agents radar. euro coefficient finally being above ipswich's and leeds will be nice for euro fixture draws.

looking at the squad where are we actually desperate for a player?

looking at the squad where are we actually desperate for a player?

We need a world class central midfielder and a better permanent right back, but we aren't desperate anywhere.

I think the idea is that we will need to keep on making newer, better signings every year to keep pace with the rest of the teams in the big four each season - a good problem to have (y)

We need a world class central midfielder and a better permanent right back, but we aren't desperate anywhere.

I think the idea is that we will need to keep on making newer, better signings every year to keep pace with the rest of the teams in the big four each season - a good problem to have (y)

i 100% agree

but what kind of world class midfielder is it we want?

so long as pienaar is signed fully im feeling much happier about what was the problem left side that is the 'english problem'.

i reckon we can limp on in terms of right back, my concern being that say we signed dan alves that captain neville would command a berth in midfield, and thats not really something id be too happy with.

a round of tough signings and potentially tougher cuts coming up as well, every manager has to earn his corn. this summer could be something of a first for davey moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back