Kevin Campbell RIP SUPER KEV

Sad news, thoughts are with his friends and family. What else can I say other than what’s already been said. A true gent and a top blue. I have a picture with him from a night out back in 2018. It was a works do in Bar & Grill in town. Few of the people on the night out were reds, asked him for a picture and then asked him to say Liverpool are boss. He proceeded to take the picture and start singing who scored a goal in the redshites net 😂. Still got the video of it on my phone to this day, tickles me every time I watch it.

RIP big man, gone but always with us.

Really saddened by this, plenty tears this morning. I remember as a 15 year old leaving Goodison in January 98, having seen us humiliated by bottom of the league Nottingham Forrest, and resigned to what would likely follow.

How Kev rescued us I will never know, I was lucky enough to be at the Charlton and West Ham games later that season as Kev was filling his boots. Never have I know things change so quickly.

As the years went by without a win at Anfield, love for Kev who won it for us in 99 just grew and grew as did his love for Evertonians.

What an icon who will be dearly missed. He meant so much to us.

Thoughts with his family and loved ones.

Sleep well Super Kev, sleep well. X

RIP Kevin Campbell
Candle.gif

Gut wrenching news, seems very unfair, hope Super Kev had every comfort and his family draw peace from being close to him and how his life touched so many of us and how he and his memory will never die, he will be remembered here for his amazing contribution to the club, his dignity and humility within that, his genuine care for the club and his fans and how he treated others and how he may them feel.

Remember i was in Derry, hearing the news that Kev was coming, no other way to describe how we were - we were dog awful, probably one of the worst in the league, no prospects and looked really likely to go down - we had resigned ourselves to it. If my memory is right it was a March maybe the old transfer window, and he'd had a real hard time in Turkey and suffered a lot of abuse which was rife over there at the time.

He came in on a six month loan and scored almost in every game between then and the end of the season, scoring 9 in his first 9 appearances almost single handily saving s from relegation, it was absolutely incredible and rightly has gone down in the folklore of this club - he saved the football club that season and became an instant hero. A hero we need as it was a very dark time of change, instability and infighting at the club. A goal at Anfield and a win to top it all off. That contribution will forever be immortal in itself.

Kev signed on permanent deal - dont know how as we were skint, he went on to be our top goal scorer the following season and really acted as the Senior statesman to the emerging Franny Jeffers.

He continued to be a beacon for the club in really difficult times, our best players including Jeffers, Barmby and Hutchinson were all sold off, as we struggled to maintain our league status Kev was always there and contributed to those difficult years between Smith and Moyes. Going on to become Evertons first ever black captain, evidencing what an amazing character he was and his influence on the team during a time of emerging young striking talent in Jeffers and laterally Rooney.

When Moyes came in Kev continued to make a contribution, he scored 9 goals in 22/23 under him, yet injuries and age were beginning to catch up with him - he continued to play his part in a decreasing role in the squad, he left Everton for West Brom in 05, after a tremendous contribution to the club on and off the pitch.

An incredible, servant who made a massive contribution to the club, that will go down in folklore, that contribution will always be immortal and he will always be remembered and revered wherever Evertonians wear blue. But today we remember, grieve and miss Super Kev the man. I cant think of one fan, person at the club or anyone in football who could say a bad word about the man, when he spoke everyone listened and he he will be remembered warmly as a brilliant warm, humble and kind person who had time and kind words for all, he had a genuine love and concern for the club and always understood things from the fans eyes out - may we all be so lucky to be remembered like that.

Sleep well Big Man, thanks for everything and you will always be remembered wherever Royal Blue is worn by Blues.. All our thoughts are with those closest to you.

Super Kevin Campbell.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back