2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were throwing bids around but I wouldn't call them desperate. We refused to overpay and have our pants pulled down.

Desperate is paying 100k+ per week for Ramirez, Rooney, Schniederlinn, Walcott, Bernard and not too far behind for Delph. There's a good argument Mina and Sigi fall into that bracket also.
I could hardly agree less with that. Very few of the deals you've mentioned there were desperate. They were deals that didn't work out in the long run, but very few of them had anything to do with desperation - some of them were very clearly long term targets. What we did in this window was pure desperation, just ringing round anyone with a pulse asking if they'd join. I would imagine that the reason they didn't have their pants pulled down was because they literally couldn't afford it, rather than because they were being clever.

We are taking the patient approach of waiting for the right deal to present itself to ensure we don’t panic buy early in the windo

It's called moving through your targets. Absolutely the club should be trying to get their targets in up until the last minute.

If they didn't try I can guarantee your sheets would be wet because they're "lazy." If they do they're desperate.

Yes, the latest window was a bad one. How did anyone expect any less? Years of mismanagement had left us financially hamstrung, in the relegation zone, with protesting fans, and another sacked manager. Oh and by the way it's January.

Look, I'm not saying Thelwell has been a raging success, but so far in sum he's put together at least a sensible approach to transfers. I don't think some people appreciate what sort of a mess he inherited.

It's called moving through your targets. Absolutely the club should be trying to get their targets in up until the last minute.

If they didn't try I can guarantee your sheets would be wet because they're "lazy." If they do they're desperate.

Yes, the latest window was a bad one. How did anyone expect any less? Years of mismanagement had left us financially hamstrung, in the relegation zone, with protesting fans, and another sacked manager. Oh and by the way it's January.

Look, I'm not saying Thelwell has been a raging success, but so far in sum he's put together at least a sensible approach to transfers. I don't think some people appreciate what sort of a mess he inherited.

Could we have tried to start moving through our targets before January 31st maybe?

Thelwell contributed hugely to the bolded issues btw.

It all just depends on whether the club allows them to get on with their role. Everton seem to have a view of the DoF role, and the scouting dept which is contrary to the general view of his that role should operate. I remember Moshiri saying he went to Turkey with Steve Walsh to scout Tosun…..he should not have done that….nothing to do with him as owner, so it is difficult who is doing a good job from a bad job because of the consistency and level of interference from vested interest parties
The alternative to to Tosun was no one.
Crap long term buy but did help us out of a hole that season

He’s useless. We’re one bad injury to Dominic Calvert-Lewin from going into the abyss.

People on here saying ‘kevs got this.’

Only club not to sign reinforcements and he’s throwing ridiculous bids in for sarr and the retiree playing in Qatar and still gets blown out!

Useless.
It’s not his fault there’s no money there. Let’s face it if we had a 500m available we would have spent it.

He's doing a good job, much to the annoyance of some.
If we have a clean sweep he is one of the few, possibly the only one who should actually stay

I have patience with him mate, the last window was a manure show, but i think external factors come into that and what we didnt do was throw money at old rope like Dele, VDB and ElGhazi. Some of the summer buisness was very good and impactful. He can also do deals out and bring revenue in - not talking about the high profile ones but the likes of Anderon, Quirk and Broadhead.

Not saying Jan was a success or anything, but i think we were in our worst PR position - probably ever bar when Johnson was here.

Agreed lads - sadly some want him turning water into wine immediately and if its not done in the space of 1 season after years of gross negligence by the previous two DOFs then he's a fraud.

The shouty shouty virgin brigade need to calm down and give him adequate time to turn us around.

Because he's a Liverpool fan some have had it in for him since day one and will use any reason to have a pop at him.

Well akctchlully if we don’t buy anyone at all then we can’t buy anyone bad can we?

3CCAFEA1-C567-475A-8E15-BD9F4B95DDD0.jpeg

Agreed lads - sadly some want him turning water into wine immediately and if its not done in the space of 1 season after years of gross negligence by the previous two DOFs then he's a fraud.
He hasnt really put a foot wrong, but some dont understand the monumental task he has, Jan window he got spot on, no more deadwood added. Everton is not an attractive destination, so the standard he got in the summer was about right for were we find ourselves thanks to Brands and Walsh
The shouty shouty virgin brigade need to calm down and give him adequate time to turn us around.
The usual suspects too
Because he's a Liverpool fan some have had it in for him since day one and will use any reason to have a pop at him.
So is Dyche, nailed on a few are waiting for a loss to jump on him for it

Could we have tried to start moving through our targets before January 31st maybe?

You do realise that having a manager on the brink of sack isn't ideal for executing transfers? Being managerless is pretty similar. Or would you believe, also having a manager in the job a couple of days? Nevermind the burning club in the background.

I'll nail by balls to the mast and say even Neil and Maupay are sensible transfers. A little boring, but sensible.

One is a great crosser of the ball. One is a nuisance as a second striker. Neither of those strengths have been played to under Lampard. Let's see how things go for them under Dyche before slaughtering them.

You do realise that having a manager on the brink of sack isn't ideal for executing transfers? Being managerless is pretty similar. Or would you believe, also having a manager in the job a couple of days? Nevermind the burning club in the background.

I'll nail by balls to the mast and say even Neil and Maupay are sensible transfers. A little boring, but sensible.

One is a great crosser of the ball. One is a nuisance as a second striker. Neither of those strengths have been played to under Lampard. Let's see how things go for them under Dyche before slaughtering them.

What, this doesn’t make sense? Lampard was sacked on January 23rd and the transfer window opened on January 1st??

Status
Not open for further replies.