2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Not really a rival though, are they? At least not imo.

Forest, Luton, Brentford and Palace are our rivals here. The other 2 are already gone, imo, of course.
Not long ago Luton were considered a certainty to go down , to dismiss any team as relegation certainties is a dangerous game as the whole picture can change very quickly over 3 games.
I agree with eggs an unnecessary risk and could only be justified with him having a burst of good form increasing his saleability in the summer but would we really want that?

This is what Dyche hinted at in the press conference.
Southampton wanted rid of him which in itself is already telling. So the options were to loan him out again or have him back with us. I guess after weighing up both options they’ve decided it’s more in our interest to loan him to another club than have him playing for us and even just training with us

Holgate going to Sheffield United for half a season isn't going to turn their fortunes around, nor will it be a decision which relegates us. They will go down whatever happens, it's just about the team who goes with them and Burnley.

If it's a move which makes financial sense for us, given the situation we are in, then I'm absolutely fine with this decision from Thelwell.

You could argue he poses a greater risk to the Sheffield Utd defence.

He hardly got a game at Southampton, at least moving to Sheffield he's close to donny. Home to his mums for tea.

….which could be an issue when they play the likes of Luton.

He demonstrated after he’d been on loan to West Brom that he can grasp an opportunity. His future with us looked gone but we failed to bring in a CB on the last day of the window and injuries meant he was given a chance which he took. He’s a Yorkshire lad, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an upturn in form.

its simply an unnecessary risk, ridiculous but unsurprising management.

Last edited:
….what an absolutely ridiculous decision to take Mason Holgate from a Championship Club and loan him to a relegation rival. We agree that he’s an inadequate footballer but what club would be so mismanaged to not consider the risk involved.

Holgate clears a ball off the line or scrambles a goal on the last day of the season to send us down is an entirely possible scenario. Holgate has a decent run of form that gets Sheff Utd a number of points that makes a huge difference is another scenario. Holgate making a mistake in a game against Luton or Forest that hands them a win.

A totally unnecessary risk that demonstrates the club is still being woefully mismanaged. Thelwell is part of the regime of gross negligence that needs shifting.

View attachment 244527

If we maintain our PPG for the season, -10 of course, we are on course for a 38 points finish. Shef U are on course for 17.

If we'd loaned him to Luton, maybe I would have raised an eyebrow.