2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Why do we seem reluctant to dip into the lower leagues to find a gem anymore? Lots of our best business under Moyes was finding players down there but other than raiding relegated teams for players we never take a gamble anymore.

Why do we seem reluctant to dip into the lower leagues to find a gem anymore? Lots of our best business under Moyes was finding players down there but other than raiding relegated teams for players we never take a gamble anymore.
Look at the fees being paid now for players from the lower leagues , the days of snapping up good young players for small money is long gone.

Our best strategy has been signing 18 or 19 year old lads before they get established and their price rockets.
It has worked with Stones, DCL, Holgate and Branthwaite in recent times.... there may be more that I can't remember.

Seems to be targeting the right type of players, but we keep missing and they end up somewhere else.

Luis Diaz, MGW, Kudus, Joao Pedro to name a few.

Hopefully he sticks to this method when we have £150m from selling Branthwaite and Onana in the summer.

Eggs's theory does say that because any player you loan to any team could also make a mistake benefitting one of your direct rivals.

As things stand, we’re in a scrap to stay in the league. If Holgate contributes to us getting relegated, the consequences would be awful.

If we were in a scrap to beat Wolves to 10th place rather than 11th, I don’t think anyone would be massively bothered (which of course may turn out to be the case depending on how super silk gets on)

As things stand, we’re in a scrap to stay in the league. If Holgate contributes to us getting relegated, the consequences would be awful.

If we were in a scrap to beat Wolves to 10th place rather than 11th, I don’t think anyone would be massively bothered (which of course may turn out to be the case depending on how super silk gets on)

Sheffield United aren’t staying up. Therefore loaning Holgate to them could help us if they manage to improve a little bit and take points off Nottingham Forest and Luton. He can’t play against us either so no worries about him turning into Alessandro Nesta in that game.

So don't loan any player to any team in the same league if you're in a relegation battle?

I think that Holgate being more likely to get game time at Sheff rather than Saints says it all. Even if he played to his maximum ability I doubt it would put them back in the mix to stay up.

He had one `good` spell of around 20mins at Saints, against a L2 side. Nice enough chap, poor footy player.

Over half a season we've made up 18 points on Sheffield United. I don't think Holgate is going to drastically effect that in a positive direction for them. Their manager was crying about people eating sandwiches last week. They're toast.

Sheffield United aren’t staying up. Therefore loaning Holgate to them could help us if they manage to improve a little bit and take points off Nottingham Forest and Luton. He can’t play against us either so no worries about him turning into Alessandro Nesta in that game.

Yeah I don’t think Sheffield Utd are going to come close to overtaking us to be honest.