2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Zooms, hes got a mistake in him, but he does some good stuff.

We had John Stones and people constantly called him rubbish, sadly people compare everybody to Diego Godin.

There's quite a difference between someone playing in a team who have let in 17 set piece goals, excluding pens, and John Stones and Diego Godin. There's a very good argument that these players are some of the most useless defenders we've had in my lifetime.

Not a big fan of his but can we attract any better at the moment. He doesn’t have long left on his contract so it will depend on what fee they want. Silva clearly rates him, he plays him more than Mina and he paid big money for him. I’m still hoping Holgate can improve enough to get back in.

He reminds me of the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

He has everything a centre back should have strength, pace and decent on the ball but he has NO brain.

He can't read the game and 8/10 he is at fault for a goal we concede.

That's why he is on loan all the time.

There's a very good argument that these players are some of the most useless defenders we've had in my lifetime.

Personally, I think there is a stronger argument that Silva is the most useless defensive coach we’ve had and that any centre backs (within reason) playing on his system are doomed.

I can’t get past the fact that the horrific set piece stat has followed Silva at every club he’s been at - it’s not as though it’s followed Keane, Zouma and Mina.

Personally, I think there is a stronger argument that Silva is the most useless defensive coach we’ve had and that any centre backs (within reason) playing on his system are doomed.

I can’t get past the fact that the horrific set piece stat has followed Silva at every club he’s been at - it’s not as though it’s followed Keane, Zouma and Mina.
Might be worth a look at this article from when Keane was playing for Burnley: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/name/93/post/2289628/headline

If you can't be bothered reading it all here are a selection of quotes from it:

"Burnley's inability to defend set pieces is becoming beyond a joke'
"Every single match the most rudimentary ball into the box sparks chaotic scenes of panic in their back line"
"Attackers are left unmarked 6 yards from goal"
"Nobody...appears to have the desire and determination to dominate in the air"
"The defence is not doing its job"
"Burnley defend set pieces no better than a pub team at times"

Sounds rather familiar doesn't it?

I do like Zouma in terms of he has all of the right attributes.

He's quick, strong and decent on the ball. He's young enough to improve. In the air he should be - in theory - half-decent.

But it's his awareness and positioning that lets him down, particularly from crosses - open play and set-pieces.

He has no awareness of players around him and ultimately always has to play catch-up. You could say the same for all of our defenders, like, apart from Jagielka - who is on his last legs.

I do think that by far the most solid we'd looked as a defensive unit was with Mina and Keane as the CBs for a few games, however. And I don't rate Keane higher than Zouma particularly.

If Zouma's available for a decent price in the summer he'd be a decent buy, but I still think he lacks in key areas for a CB which I'm not sure are going to improve.

This lad will get better as he ages, he has the physical attributes but he lacks game smarts, he will learn as he grows, could be a beast by the time he is 28/29

I do like Zouma in terms of he has all of the right attributes.

He's quick, strong and decent on the ball. He's young enough to improve. In the air he should be - in theory - half-decent.

But it's his awareness and positioning that lets him down, particularly from crosses - open play and set-pieces.

He has no awareness of players around him and ultimately always has to play catch-up. You could say the same for all of our defenders, like, apart from Jagielka - who is on his last legs.

I do think that by far the most solid we'd looked as a defensive unit was with Mina and Keane as the CBs for a few games, however. And I don't rate Keane higher than Zouma particularly.

If Zouma's available for a decent price in the summer he'd be a decent buy, but I still think he lacks in key areas for a CB which I'm not sure are going to improve.
Sounds like you just described Yobo there.

And I must admit I really did like yobo.

Not a big fan of his but can we attract any better at the moment. He doesn’t have long left on his contract so it will depend on what fee they want. Silva clearly rates him, he plays him more than Mina and he paid big money for him. I’m still hoping Holgate can improve enough to get back in.
???. another 4 years mate.

Chelsea won't le him go on the cheap either.

Might be worth a look at this article from when Keane was playing for Burnley: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/name/93/post/2289628/headline

If you can't be bothered reading it all here are a selection of quotes from it:

"Burnley's inability to defend set pieces is becoming beyond a joke'
"Every single match the most rudimentary ball into the box sparks chaotic scenes of panic in their back line"
"Attackers are left unmarked 6 yards from goal"
"Nobody...appears to have the desire and determination to dominate in the air"
"The defence is not doing its job"
"Burnley defend set pieces no better than a pub team at times"

Sounds rather familiar doesn't it?

Good shout mate... didn’t know Keane had a rep for being disastrous with set pieces (pre-Everton).

I suppose frailties like that, coupled with Silvas insistence to mark zonally, spells disaster.

I still maintain however that first and foremost, the solution has to start with the manager. In Keane and Mina, we have £50m+ worth of CBs and it’s unforgivable to not be able to implement a system which mitigates against our calamitous set piece defending.

You mean it shows he has not got a clue?????????o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back