Lack of any quality in youth system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the View from the Bullens podcast with Racliffe earlier. He makes a good point amongst many others, where is the talented youth players coming through? What on earth is unsworth and co bringing through?

doesn’t seem to be any real talent breaking into the first team.

Brands has only been here 3 seasons which isnt enough time to bring through a top class crop of players...especially with a 2 year domestic youth ban to contend with.

@catcherintherye (and others) knows the players at 15 years old+ who are coming through and its meant to be a good crop.

The Dutch seem to have ex players running their academies and coaching all the way down so we look to be modelling that.

Id say another 3 years and we'll see Brands' impact.

Unsworth sacrificed future, for PL2 trophies for me.

With the nicest of respects to some of the lads who are in the U23, Pennington, Broadhead, Charsley (for about 4 years) and the rest, were all kept around for a while an given deals, and just stunted the progression, of any youth. Baxter was re-signed ffs!

...I‘m not an Unsworth fan but I really think that’s incorrect. To say talent is stifled at U23 level for the betterment of winning games is wrong, although the DoF stance on giving extended contracts to Pennington & Connolly bordered on ridiculous.

i always say the FA Youth Cup is the benchmark of talent coming through and we haven’t had a decent run in that for many years (until this season). That suggests to me, there’s not a flow of stars coming through. We have the odd one, like Gordon but not many who are released come back to the top level.

Indeed, I think many U18s are regulars in the U23s.

I think the issue is more about recruitment than coaching. In my days football is all we played but kids don’t kick a ball around like they used to.

The clubs strategy of bringing in top talent is proving fruitful. Stones, DCL, Holgate, Lookman, Branthwaite, Nkounkou et al.

i think it’s easy to blame Unsworth but I don’t think it’s justified. He can only work with what comes through & let’s not forget it was him who went to the Board and recommended we buy a young lad from Sheffield United called DCL.

We also don't give them a chance and I think some are expecting world beaters when a steady youth player is perfectly fine.
Exactly. Not all need to nail down a first team place.

The academy should however be seen as a source of profit. If they're not good enough for the first team, sell them to lower level clubs. Don't keep them around for an utterly pointless U23 title challenge.

Great to see the 2 fantastic goals by Ellis Simms for Blackpool last night. But significant to see him playing in a team with 2 at the top of the pitch. How different that must be to the stultifying 4-5-1 he had to put up with when playing for Unsworth, using up his energy pressing defenders on his own rather than playing on the edge of them looking to get in behind which is what his game is all about. The most natural finisher we have brought through for many a year but wasted because Unsworth's focus was to not get beat rather than to take chances so that we developed the individual's talent. Simms has only got one year left on his contract and can't see him extending that.

Great to see the 2 fantastic goals by Ellis Simms for Blackpool last night. But significant to see him playing in a team with 2 at the top of the pitch. How different that must be to the stultifying 4-5-1 he had to put up with when playing for Unsworth, using up his energy pressing defenders on his own rather than playing on the edge of them looking to get in behind which is what his game is all about. The most natural finisher we have brought through for many a year but wasted because Unsworth's focus was to not get beat rather than to take chances so that we developed the individual's talent. Simms has only got one year left on his contract and can't see him extending that.

Ironically enough as soon as Simms left we completely switched up the U23 team and style of play.

Don't spoil a good moan!!

We were 15th for academy to 1st team minutes last season

United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Brighton, Norwich were your main top 10.

Mixture of the top academies in the country...and clubs without the financial muscle.

not sure what the relevance of that is, our 1st team play 2 at the top of the pitch and we look completely hopeless

The problem with the youth system was lack of career path to the first team. It was a case of winning the P2 title and hopefully those kids are good enough. Totally wrong approach

It should be more of what’s happened to Simms, Gordon and Brathwaite; out on loan to gain experience and cut your teeth.
In the past we have had youngster aged 16 playing for our first team this 100 % lets loan um out or
We have a youth system??
If we had Phill Foden in the under 23s he would be sent out on loan - fact -

Status
Not open for further replies.