Last Film You Watched

The only interesting part was cut, the 'blood soaked space hell orgy', zero saving graces, $60million dollars for that tripe. Someone needs a good hiding. Then I looked at the directors catalogue. Oh dear.
It's the only film I feel Anderson did well.
He messed up all the other franchises with potential - Resident Evil, Alien v Predator, Mortal Kombat.

You'll have more targets on your back than Kenwright now due to your comments re: Event Horizon.

The only interesting part was cut, the 'blood soaked space hell orgy', zero saving graces, $60million dollars for that tripe. Someone needs a good hiding. Then I looked at the directors catalogue. Oh dear.

It's the only film I feel Anderson did well.
He messed up all the other franchises with potential - Resident Evil, Alien v Predator, Mortal Kombat.

You'll have more targets on your back than Kenwright now due to your comments re: Event Horizon.
1st Resident Evil is decent fun. Can't say much for the rest of his "ouevre".
I'll sleep easy, the fans clearly don't have working eyes. Ironic really.
I "see" what you've done there ;)

Murder Mystery - OK bit of murder mystery fun and definitely not the worst Adam Sandler movie I've ever seen which admittedly is faint praise.

What Lies Below - Mrs CT had put this on and I had no idea what it was. Veered off in a Lovecraftian direction I definitely wasn't expecting from the opening act. Took a right kicking from the critics but I think some of them went a little overboard. It's far from perfect, treads over familiar ground, there's definitely holes in there and the ending doesn't resolve much but it has a nice weird creepy vibe, decent performances and pace. Seeing Mena Suvari playing the 40+ 'mom' role makes you feel old though.

The Fearway - Road trip Twilight Zone / Duel / Groundhog Day mash up with a 'twist' that's pretty obvious way before the film is ready to divulge. Looks pretty good though and well shot within the obvious budgetary limits. Dialogue does the actors no favours and it bodges the landing unfortunately.

Blind Date - Not the Bruce Willis / Kim Basinger one but instead a 1984 B-movie 'erotic' killer thriller. The hero of the piece, played by the excellently named Joseph Bottoms, loses his eyesight while being a creepy weird stalker. An experimental device ( actually a modified Sony Walkman) helps him to see again by enabling his brain to render the world in black and white wire frame Elite style graphics. Events transpire where he then has to track down a scalpel wielding taxi driving psycho surgeon before he kills his next victim.

The director kind of drifts off and just seems to shoot music videos at various points which does little for the pace. Breakout on the Atari 2600 being a major plot device seems a little unusual as well. There's a couple of fun scenes with oddly theatrical and inexplicably British subway punks alongside notable appearances from Kirstie Alley and Mariana Sirtis but not really much to recommend.

Murder Mystery - OK bit of murder mystery fun and definitely not the worst Adam Sandler movie I've ever seen which admittedly is faint praise.

What Lies Below - Mrs CT had put this on and I had no idea what it was. Veered off in a Lovecraftian direction I definitely wasn't expecting from the opening act. Took a right kicking from the critics but I think some of them went a little overboard. It's far from perfect, treads over familiar ground, there's definitely holes in there and the ending doesn't resolve much but it has a nice weird creepy vibe, decent performances and pace. Seeing Mena Suvari playing the 40+ 'mom' role makes you feel old though.

The Fearway - Road trip Twilight Zone / Duel / Groundhog Day mash up with a 'twist' that's pretty obvious way before the film is ready to divulge. Looks pretty good though and well shot within the obvious budgetary limits. Dialogue does the actors no favours and it bodges the landing unfortunately.

Blind Date - Not the Bruce Willis / Kim Basinger one but instead a 1984 B-movie 'erotic' killer thriller. The hero of the piece, played by the excellently named Joseph Bottoms, loses his eyesight while being a creepy weird stalker. An experimental device ( actually a modified Sony Walkman) helps him to see again by enabling his brain to render the world in black and white wire frame Elite style graphics. Events transpire where he then has to track down a scalpel wielding taxi driving psycho surgeon before he kills his next victim.

The director kind of drifts off and just seems to shoot music videos at various points which does little for the pace. Breakout on the Atari 2600 being a major plot device seems a little unusual as well. There's a couple of fun scenes with oddly theatrical and inexplicably British subway punks alongside notable appearances from Kirstie Alley and Mariana Sirtis but not really much to recommend.

Just read the Wikipedia entry plot for What Lies Below and I’m not surprised it got panned if that’s what happens in it. Isn’t even a storyline lol

The Exorcist 3 (theatrical cut)
A very, very good movie that's completely different from the first one thankfully. I've had this laying around (arrow version) for a few years. Glad I finally got around to watching it. The film managed to keep me invested throughout, it was eerie, atmospheric, tense and genuinely creepy at times. Loved the crazy performance from Brad Dourif as well. 8/10

Saw Oppenheimer yesterday and very much enjoyed it, a few nods to Goodnight and good luck I thought with the aftermath scenes. Having been studying nuclear energy a bit this year it was a real thrill to see some of that subject matter brought to the big screen by such a thorough director, and the sound in this movie really is next level. Also always been a fan of Cillian Murphy's so was really pleased to see him escape from peaky blinders, which I don't really rate, and into something far deeper.

The Exorcist 3 (theatrical cut)
A very, very good movie that's completely different from the first one thankfully. I've had this laying around (arrow version) for a few years. Glad I finally got around to watching it. The film managed to keep me invested throughout, it was eerie, atmospheric, tense and genuinely creepy at times. Loved the crazy performance from Brad Dourif as well. 8/10
I want to watch this, but haven't had any luck finding it so far. I've heard it's quite good (despite the studio forcing certain additions to the film).
There is a new Exorcist movie out later this year? Or maybe next, be interesting to see how they fare, considering Dominion from about 10 years ago was utter [Poor language removed].

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back