Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Koeman, Martinez, Moyes

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fromage sur malaise

Votes: 26 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although many here have seen the club in better times and under better leadership, I'm sure there is a large contingent like myself that has only seen Everton under Moyes, Martinez, and Koeman. (Some, at least, have little memory of prior managers.)

Most reasonably, we should assert that Koeman's history suggests he will turn this squad around given time to build and that we should have expected some transition this season and may be duly excited in the next campaign, but there's no time for optimism when there's whinging to be done.
What a way to preface a poll. Talk about loading it.

You know only this about Koeman: he's hit and miss and barely gets out of being mediocre...that's what his CV tells us all.

Martinez is the only decent coach we've had since Kendall. He got us playing football and the results were there for all to see in that first season.

Moyes and Koeman are both from a different mindset that sees good football as something that might get in the way of working hard and stopping other teams from playing.

You should just compare Moyes and Koeman. Martinez is a different type of manager - one who likes his teams to get on the ball and play.

It's comparing apples and pears.

Koemans highlight has been a win away at Sunderland, Martinez got us 5th... anyone who chose goldmember over roberto is not the brightest spark! Moyes over both of them, if it weren't for him they would both have had an even harder job.

Koeman has been here 5 minutes

Martinez had 3 years and in the 1st year did well with a Moyes team that knew how to defend, the last 2 years were the worst I have seen in decades. The regression was stark and alarming in Martinez's last two seasons and his attitude to how a team should defend was shocking (From what I understand he didn't even bother in training but was happy to call the team soft after a defeat).

Each to their own but anyone who compares Martinez anything other than disaster seriously has the blinkers on or were watching a different Everton in my opinion 73 points or not.

What does that 73 points get us now ?????

Koeman has been here 5 minutes

Martinez had 3 years and in the 1st year did well with a Moyes team that knew how to defend, the last 2 years were the worst I have seen in decades. The regression was stark and alarming in Martinez's last two seasons and his attitude to how a team should defend was shocking (From what I understand he didn't even bother in training but was happy to call the team soft after a defeat).
Each to their own but anyone who compares Martinez anything other than disaster seriously has the blinkers on or were watching a different Everton in my opinion 73 points or not.
What does that 73 points get us now ?????

You'll never see that again mate. Not in the next decade anyway, so I wouldn't trouble yourself trying to figure that one out.

Martinez average league position for his time here was just under 9th. He was afforded a much much much better starting point than Moyes who had Ginola and Gascgoine on the books. If Martinez took over from Walter Smith with that squad he'd of relegated us without doubt. Koeman and Martinez can tussle it out for 2nd but based on the finances afforded, the squad gifted, the signings made and 9 top 8 finishes out of 11 it's just disrespectful to put Martinez ahead of Moyes. But the vote is going the appropriate way anyhow.

If we get a billionaire in who spends his money then maybe we can. Until then we'll just have to put up with trying to break through the 60 point barrier each season.

Dave your missing the point

73 points means nothing if you get 44 points the next two seasons, that's shows regression/

if we get 50 points this season ( already and improvement) an get better and better the following seasons then that's progression but of course that's down to the boss Ron and owner Morshiri opening his check book

Last edited:
Martinez was laughed out the club and pushed before he did irreparable damage so would be better compared to the likes of Mike Walker.

Dave your missing the point

73 points means nothing if you get 44 points the next two seasons, that's shows regression/

if we get 50 points this season ( already and improvement) an get better and better the following season then that's progression but of corse that's down to he boss Ron and Morshiri opening his check book

Of course, 30, 60, 70 points mean nothing if they dont get you a substantial prize. 72 points didn't do it when we got that. But it usually does and that's why we should see dropping short of it as not good enough. It's up to the owner to provide the resources for that type of push though.

I just hope that he doesn't look at the fact RM achieved that number of points off a relatively small spend and believes someone else can do that too. They cant. It was an insane season where a manager and players went for broke and the confidence of the organisation was still very high. It;s not like that now. The current manager is not that type, and the club is at a different place now - self-doubting and turning in on itself when things are tried and dont come off.

You know only this about Koeman: he's hit and miss and barely gets out of being mediocre...that's what his CV tells us all.

Martinez is the only decent coach we've had since Kendall. He got us playing football and the results were there for all to see in that first season.

Moyes and Koeman are both from a different mindset that sees good football as something that might get in the way of working hard and stopping other teams from playing.

You should just compare Moyes and Koeman. Martinez is a different type of manager - one who likes his teams to get on the ball and play.

Not true Dave, Moyes got us 1 place higher and qualified for CL, a couple of derby wins, FA cup FINAL more than what Martinez achieved with far less money and continuously had to sell his best players, Don't get me wrong Martinez's first season was brilliant and he struck the right balance but from there it went downhill.

Definitely Moyes first - even though I ended up wanting him gone.
Absolutely no way I can choose between the other two tho - RK hasn't had the time to prove himself and RM can't really claim all the credit for his only good season.
I'm hoping it'll prove to be the fifth option.

Not true Dave, Moyes got us 1 place higher and qualified for CL, a couple of derby wins, FA cup FINAL more than what Martinez achieved with far less money and continuously had to sell his best players, Don't get me wrong Martinez's first season was brilliant and he struck the right balance but from there it went downhill.
It cant be denied he did that, yes (Moyes that is). But his real worth to us was that he stopped the disciplinary rot just in time, and that saved us from almost certain relegation sometime soon back then.

A way of bringing this together a bit more amicably is to say that - for all their other failings:

Moyes showed us that unity and discipline could get this club to Premier League respectability
Martinez showed us that we could go toe to toe and challenge the elite

...what will Koeman show us though?

It cant be denied he did that, yes (Moyes that is). But his real worth to us was that he stopped the disciplinary rot just in time, and that saved us from almost certain relegation sometime soon back then.

A way of bringing this together a bit more amicably is to say that - for all their other failings:

Moyes showed us that unity and discipline could get this club to Premier League respectability
Martinez showed us that we could go toe to toe and challenge the elite

...what will Koeman show us though?
That surely cant be answered just yet as its way to early, we can all comment as we are doing over the tripe we have seen in the last couple of months, but to judge him as manager of Everton can only start this time next year IMO.

To be fair, if you've got apples and pears you compare them. That's what you do. If you're only comparing apples to apples, you're doing it wrong. Anyone can compare like things and find large differences, that's why this is given to kids as practice when they're young at school, to train them to think in complex terms and talk about real issues.

As far as Martinez/your love affair is concerned, he certainly knows tactics. If only he knew how to manage a team and train players, he'd be a decent club manager. In the US system, he'd be a decent (American) football head coach if he had decent coordinators to handle the offensive and defensive aspects of the game and leave him be to contemplate his Napoleonic conquest of Europe. I think he's found his level now as a National team manager, one without day-to-day duties, and hope he does well in this vein of coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.