Latest Takeover Rumour. The Moores / Noell one

Are you For or Against the idea of the possible Moores / Noell takeover ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How likely is it that they're aiming for a leveraged buy out/the board will sell in that circumstance? Not an argument, just curious.

I don't know mate, nor does anyone else. My point was that private equity type deals which I am assuming this would be if concluded given their existing businesses, usually require significant debt - as a means of providing an attractive yield to debt investors and in financially gearing up the returns to the equity providers.

I don't know mate, nor does anyone else. My point was that private equity type deals which I am assuming this would be if concluded given their existing businesses, usually require significant debt - as a means of providing an attractive yield to debt investors and in financially gearing up the returns to the equity providers.
Ah understood (a little!). I didn't word my statement very well either as I meant to imply I was interested in your own personal guess (given the lack of concrete info. Apologies ;)

As long as it's not a leveraged buyout, the stadium issue gets solved in some way (new place or renovstion), and our commercial performance improves...why should it matter if they sell for profit down the line?

It wouldn't matter mate. So long as the club benefits ( so does better than we would have done if the current board was still in charge ) along with the investors then everyone wins.

If the consortium want 100% ownership, I posted on 26th a little nugget which is rather significant but only appeared to be latched on to by the esk.
Basically, the future of EFC lies in the hands of BK as no scheme of arrangement can be made without his votes backing it, so if they want to leverage the club to death, not only can he stop them, in theory he could get the other shareholders to give him their proxies and defeat any takeover bid.
Unlikely but possible.

Not just Kenwright mate, without Jon Woods vote, a takeover would be very hard to push through. Earl would presumably only be interested in the money, but you would hope both Woods and Kenwright would see the bigger picture.

Double Glazing?

Rather than focusing on a Capital One Cup semi-final, a favourable 3rd round draw in the FA Cup and (results aside) the most exhilarating football seen in the Royal Blue shirts for nearly 30 years, many Evertonians are more concerned with the prospects of a change of ownership despite having wished for such for many a year.

Much of the speculation has been brought about by the lack of information provided by the assumed US purchasers, Moores and Noell plus other un-named investors. Having allowed the exclusivity period into the public domain, our would-be US owners have done themselves no favours by steadfastly refusing to provide any information as to their intentions, assuming the purchase goes ahead.

Now I’m not going to add to the speculation, as there’s no point, but I think it is worth considering the motives for acquiring Everton and learning from other acquisitions as to what we might expect.

Ten and a half years ago Manchester United were acquired by the Glazer family. At the time the Glazers were not known in the UK, nor was there any evidence of their interest in football let alone Manchester United. The Glazers, expertly guided by Ed Woodward (then at JP Morgan) realised that United as a business could throw off unbelievable levels of cash relative to the cost of acquisition. They also realised that the strength of future income flows were sufficient to meet investor requirements who might subscribe for bonds, albeit at punitive rates of interest.

Thus the Glazers acquired Manchester United for £790 million of which £525 million was borrowed, including £275 million of hedge fund borrowings known as “PiKs” – extremely expensive. Bear in mind not a single penny of the £790 million takeover was invested in the club – it was used to pay existing shareholders. Furthermore the debt used by the Glazers to cover their shortfall was to be serviced and repaid by the club, not the Glazers themselves.

One of the things seldom mentioned about the Glazer takeover is the undertakings given by the Glazers to not only the Premier League but to the British Government at the time that there would be no increase in ticket prices resulting from the takeover. Any discussion with a United fan, or indeed anyone that has been a visiting supporter to Old Trafford in the last 10 years can verify whether or not this undertaking was honoured.

Let’s fast forward to the present. United have been very successful over the last 10 years, on and off the pitch. By some distance they are the Premier League’s biggest club and probably only beaten by Barcelona and Real Madrid in terms of global presence.

With all this success, an increase in ticket prices (not to mention the season ticket cup scheme), an unbroken record of appearances (bar one season) in the Champions League, the explosion of broadcasting, sponsoring and merchandising revenues you’d expect the Glazer’s borrowings to have been paid off and the club to have a healthy balance sheet – well, not a bit of it.

As of May 2015 borrowing stood at £411 million gross, and financing costs for the year, a massive £35 million – all despite revenues close to £400 million in the last accounting year.

The reason? Over 10 years more than £700 million has been paid out in fees and interest payments to the Glazers, bankers and various investors in their bonds.

So what’s this got to do with Everton? The would-be investors have a great deal of experience in sporting investments, and crucially private equity. Private equity investors typically (not always) look for strong income flows to meet debt servicing and repayment (the debt is used to leverage the equity, minimising the amount of capital required and therefore maximising return on equity – a key component of this form of investing) , they look to grow the asset value of a business and typically are looking for an “exit strategy” 3 – 7 years from their initial investment.

The problem Everton have with this form of investing is that not only does it extract money out of the club at an alarming rate – although the scale is smaller for Everton than it was for United, it is actually the exact reverse of what is required.

We need investment in the club, not a means of extracting returns out of it as broadcasting (and hopefully sponsorship/commercial revenues also) increase significantly over the next 5 years.

We require the exact opposite of what the Glazers have done with United, they extracted cash, we need investors prepared to invest capital over and above the acquisition cost to existing shareholders.

We need this for obvious reasons. Despite the growing number of high quality, young individuals in our first team, our squad is not strong enough to compete in the Premier League and other cup competitions including Europe. We also need to continue the growth of our academy programmes for future years.

We need investment either in Goodison Park, or in an alternative stadium within the city.

We need investment (working capital) in our commercial operations including merchandising, corporate entertaining, and our sponsorship divisions.

All of these areas, plus vitally important activities such as EiTC require capital investment and income and profit retention for us to succeed – we’re not the same business as United were 10 years ago, it would be entirely wrong to assume that their business model would produce the same results on and off the pitch at Everton, because the odds are it will not.

If, as is speculated, there are more than one group of interested parties interested in acquiring Everton, the acquisition price is not the most important factor, it is the means of funding the acquisition, the business model and plans for re-capitalising the business, not extracting short term cash for investors, that is most important. Those means ought to be equity, not debt in order to meet our objectives on and off the pitch.

Oh, and one other thing, at least as important as all the above – that the investors “get” Everton, who we are, what we represent, our place in the past development of the beautiful game, and our role in shaping its’ future, not only as a giant of the past but as a model for the future on and off the pitch. Our forefathers provided that model for all but the recent past, what an opportunity to rediscover that role and move the game and club forward once more.

Debt in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing though. In an ideal world, any funding would come 100% from an injection of equity, but a mixture of equity and debt would be fine so long as the debt was affordable to us as a club. Whether the debt's affordable or not is down to how much is taken on and the interest rate charged.

If a VC consortium take on too much debt,then they risk running the club into the ground and losing any appreciation of capital, which would mean they'd be nothing more than a glorified Barclays loan round our necks.

The devil's in the detail really, which is why it's over to Kenwright and Woods to go over these guys business plan with a fine toothcomb. They won't want to be remembered as the guys who sold Everton to a set of sharks, so lets hope their toothcombs aren't missing any teeth !

Not just Kenwright mate, without Jon Woods vote, a takeover would be very hard to push through. Earl would presumably only be interested in the money, but you would hope both Woods and Kenwright would see the bigger picture.
It's hard not to be morbid when posting now about Kenwright and Everton's future ownership, but this has to be an important factor in any discussion of the takeover possibilities ahead. No doubt that block by BK/JW could be put in place, but it cant be sustained for obvious reasons and BK has to take care of his estate (sorry, there's no easy way around stuff like that). In other words: the best intentions for the club concerning this particular bidder might not be the major consideration here (sentimental notions of 'legacy' aside).

In terms of the bigger picture, and the esk's post in particular, the spectre of a leveraged takeover is a chilling one but not a convincing or persuasive one for the most part for most fans...as some of the later posts that followed it underline. Personally, I wouldn't trust the Moores/Noell bid, as it's likely to be parasitic. However (and I mentioned this earlier), most fans deep down will think it, at worst, as a case of out of the frying pan into another frying pan; but more likely they'll perceive it in terms of a more business like regime who can come in and get a stadium sorted out (because it'll best suit their interests too in terms of selling up down the line), which also, in turn, ties into a logic amongst fans that there has to be a couple of stages in ownership - in short, that the historic task of the next regime will be to sort the stadium out and THEN we get the major takeover thereafter. That's what I detect, anyway...which probably accounts for the esk's hammering on the point of short term financial pain for paying fans as a means of cutting across that perception. Rightly so, because the prospective owners will seek to squeeze them.

You'd like to think that whoever takes us over has our best interests at heart. Before judging anyone I'll wait to hear what they have to say about their plans both on and off the pitch for the club. IMO we have reached a point where we need to move forward or else stagnate and fall behind our peers and those on the tier below. New owners or a capital investment is the best means of achieving this. Hopefully all goes well and we can see an Everton competitive for the League and Cups again.

I'm also not keen on 'investors', I'd prefer one owner or one family so to say.

A group of investors complicate things for me from which issues may arise in future.

It also makes things complicated if another sale ever happens.

Beggars can't be chooses though.

If this happens I can't help but think it will go like this:

Big hooha when they come in.

Spend fairly big on few signings early on.

Spend little more next couple of Windows.

No real success.

Stop spending money, looking to sell.

Wash, spin, repeat.

It's hard not to be morbid when posting now about Kenwright and Everton's future ownership, but this has to be an important factor in any discussion of the takeover possibilities ahead. No doubt that block by BK/JW could be put in place, but it cant be sustained for obvious reasons and BK has to take care of his estate (sorry, there's no easy way around stuff like that). In other words: the best intentions for the club concerning this particular bidder might not be the major consideration here.

In terms of the bigger picture, and the esk's post in particular, the spectre of a leveraged takeover is a chilling one but not a convincing or persuasive one for the most part for most fans...as some of the later posts that followed it underline. Personally, I wouldn't trust the Moores/Noell bid, as it's likely to be parasitic. However (and I mentioned this earlier), most fans deep down will think it, at worst, as a case of out of the frying pan into another frying pan; but more likely they'll perceive it in terms of a more business like regime who can come in and get a stadium sorted out (because it'll best suit their interests too in terms of selling up down the line), which also ties into a logic amongst fans that there has to be a couple of stages in ownership - in short, that the historic task of the next regime will to sort the stadium out and THEN we get the major takeover thereafter. That's what I detect, anyway...which probably accounts for the esk's hammering on the point of short term financial pain for paying fans as a means of cutting across that perception. Rightly so, because the prospective owners will seek to squeeze them.

Wouldn't disagree with that Dave.

The only thing I'd add is that the rumours of other interested parties seem fairly strong. If that's the case, and there are other credible bids on, or near, the table which are structured in a manner which, to us as fans, seem more acceptable than a bid which is probably mostly debt funded, then I'd hope that Kenwright and Woods would be looking beyond just the highest bidder.

Expecting Earl to do that off his own bat would be ludicrous, but Kenwright and Woods hold the aces here. Any sale in the order of 150 to 200 million would see Earl getting a good return and I'm guessing that he'll be happy with that at the end of the day, but will be looking to push Bill and Jon as hard as he can on maximising his return.

It is hard to see any new owners not having a plan to build a new stadium. It doesn't make any sense for someone to take us over and leave us as we are. Where is the long term financial benefits in that.
I think a good analogy for us is that we are like a large house which has been allowed to run down. Someone, with a few quid, can come in and buy us fairly cheaply, do us up and flog us on for a good profit. The problem is that they won't be interested in who they flog us on too.

Wouldn't disagree with that Dave.

The only thing I'd add is that the rumours of other interested parties seem fairly strong. If that's the case, and there are other credible bids on, or near, the table which are structured in a manner which, to us as fans, seem more acceptable than a bid which is probably mostly debt funded, then I'd hope that Kenwright and Woods would be looking beyond just the highest bidder.

Expecting Earl to do that off his own bat would be ludicrous, but Kenwright and Woods hold the aces here. Any sale in the order of 150 to 200 million would see Earl getting a good return and I'm guessing that he'll be happy with that at the end of the day, but will be looking to push Bill and Jon as hard as he can on maximising his return.

I think that's, sadly, fanciful and we'll end up with a justification for settling for the riskier bid. I remember when BK took over with the aid of Gregg. He justified that as a sound business proposition/partnership but knew that Gregg was of a mind to pull in behind him a stadium scheme that heaped a lot of debt onto Everton and outside control of the club. That was the price BK willing paid for putting together a consortium to buy Johnson out - after a fashion. He managed to sidestep that only by engaging with other figures who have been equally bad news for the club. The idea he's going to be thinking about a square deal for fans at this stage is strictly for the birds, imo.

Short of widespread fan ownership and control of the club (as per the German verein model which morphed into the current Bundelsiga model), a consortium of wealthy 'Blue Knights' is appealing.

Be great if they did come in and sot out a new stadium. Hopefully they have better designs than something like the Kirkby one which was a joke, and keep it in the city.

They could take the cheapest option on both counts, but we need to trust the current board to make sure they are going to do things right for the long term. We'll have to see.

I think that's, sadly, fanciful and we'll end up with a justification for settling for the riskier bid

Probably true, but, putting aside Bill's health issues, both Woods and himself are of an age where peoples priorities tend to change, so we can but hope.

The national media tone has noticably shifted. It's gone from being 'Everton are a well run club, they're lucky to have Blue Bill' to 'Everton are one of the 4 most successful league clubs and should be doing better; the off-field decisions are holding them back and they badly need investment and new owners before they're overtaken by lesser clubs like West Ham'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...roads-and-in-danger-of-being-left-behind.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.