2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from the game and watching Baines today was honestly quite scary. He refused to take the ball off the goal keeper. He just kept saying no every single time. His confidence has just gone.
Your full backs need to be comfortable in receiving the ball to build attacks from from the back

It's not the same at all. Baines was there. He saw the situation that was unfolding 4 yards away from him. He's a defender and needed to be offering help in closing down and getting involved.

Do me a favour: look at the goal again and tell me that Baines was right to just stand there watching Keane struggle with that.

I still think so yes. I think we were 2 v 2 in the box and our centre backs should do much better. I also think our midfield gave Neves way too much time to pick his spot to cross. Way too lax in the closing down.

I still think so yes. I think we were 2 v 2 in the box and our centre backs should do much better. I also think our midfield gave Neves way too much time to pick his spot to cross. Way too lax in the closing down.
2v2 yes, but Holgate out of position...and that does not give Baines a free pass to just stand there looking at the equaliser unfold before him.

It will annoy me if we offer him a new contract
I wouldn't be too aggrieved if he were to sign a one-year deal that was on decent terms with regards to the club if there weren't better options out there.

Admittedly, he shouldn't be starting regularly now there's Digne but I feel that not playing consitently will do him the world of good; as will lots of competition!

Go and look at the goal. Tell me WTF use Baines was in that situation and I'Il retract.
You are mad mate, Baines was never meant to be challenging for that ball. Just cos he was fairly near it doesn’t mean he has to make it his. Keane was there, it was his ball. What do you think would happen if two of our players went for every ball?

..played well yesterday, made a positive contribution to both of our goals. I can’t see Baines being dropped anytime soon, Digne will simply have to wait for an opportunity and make the most of it when it arises.

And that's OK isn't it? You'd hope young Digne would be like a sponge with Baines in training. Some folks will have a problem having an £18m player on the bench. I welcome it.

That nutmeg to Tosun made for an easy assist for Cenk on Richarlison's second.

..played well yesterday, made a positive contribution to both of our goals. I can’t see Baines being dropped anytime soon, Digne will simply have to wait for an opportunity and make the most of it when it arises.
I think it'll be pretty obvious what a difference Digne makes when he gets in there, especially on the defensive end closing players down and winning some of those longer balls switching the field. Today, we were sitting back a lot with Ricarlison and Walcott defending quite a bit. Not sure we will see Marco play quite that conservative once our new back line gets settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back