Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously David is applying silly extremes as usual (and has just added another silly one above whilst I finish typing this...), but was Baines at any point THAT good at defending? Top 3 attacking left backs in the world yes, he was boss for some time....but defending I'm struggling to recall if he has always been a bit hit and miss at the defensive side of things or whether he had a period of real solidity.

I think when at their best both our full backs are cracking in attack but usually no better than above average bordering on just decent on the defensive side.
So, basically, you had a go at my analyis of Baines' defending - then you agree completely with it.

Make your mind up mate.

So, basically, you had a go at my analyis of Baines' defending - then you agree completely with it.

Make your mind up mate.

No, Dave.

You said "As a defender he's never been able to defend. Heading ability: zero Tackling ability: zero Positional sense: zero " and also "Literally one of our worst ever players when considered as a proper left back"

Thats not analysis. It's just nonsense childish silly extremes to make your point. And then you somehow think I completely agree with you.

Whats the point of these type of posts? Is it to WUM the whole forum, as it looks like that or you don't know much about football. Because if you wanted to actually discuss his career with other posters in the thread you might try coming down a few notches from what you've written in the last couple pages.

You'll find most will agree he has been great in attack but never great in defence, but nobody would claim he has zero ability as a defender. Like nobody else. Just you.

Baines was a really good left back when he was at his peak. His main attributes were going forward but he wasn't as bad a defender as some make him out to be. He played as part of our best defence in early 2009 with Hibbert Jagielka and Lescott and for a couple of months we barely conceded. However the time has now come for him to be back up and when his contract expires at the end of the season he needs to be released. We should thank him for all he's done but sentiment left football a long time ago. Hopefully Robinson will do well on loan and come back ready to challenge Digne for the left back slot or at very least be a decent back up.

No, Dave.

You said "As a defender he's never been able to defend. Heading ability: zero Tackling ability: zero Positional sense: zero " and also "Literally one of our worst ever players when considered as a proper left back"

Thats not analysis. It's just nonsense childish silly extremes to make your point. And then you somehow think I completely agree with you.

Whats the point of these type of posts? Is it to WUM the whole forum, as it looks like that or you don't know much about football. Because if you wanted to actually discuss his career with other posters in the thread you might try coming down a few notches from what you've written in the last couple pages.

You'll find most will agree he has been great in attack but never great in defence, but nobody would claim he has zero ability as a defender. Like nobody else. Just you.

If you put Richarlison or any wide player on the left Everton have ever had (apart from Bolasie who is a total disaster in any position) at LB they'd do as good a job at defending as Baines ever was able to do.

He was never a defender.

If you put Richarlison or any wide player on the left Everton have ever had (apart from Bolasie who is a total disaster in any position) at LB they'd do as good a job at defending as Baines ever was able to do.

He was never a defender.

I'd disagree, but even the above is now coming down a notch from your previous posts. Another couple posts and you might reach reasonable.

And on this point, even Richarlison would not have Zero heading, tackling or positional ability in defense. My point was you're going to silly extremes to thrash a player you don't like.

I'd disagree, but even the above is now coming down a notch from your previous posts. Another couple posts and you might reach reasonable.

And on this point, even Richarlison would not have Zero heading, tackling or positional ability in defense. My point was you're going to silly extremes to thrash a player you don't like.

You sound surprised lol

Name me any modern full back at the top of the game that you can say is a great defender. It is just the way the game has developed and has been since like this the likes of Roberto Carlos & Cafu came on the scene. This is what Kante/Jorginho, Gueye, Fernandinho (to a lesser extent) are for, to cover for the position of wing back despite being in a back 4. Centre backs split a lot more than they used and these Defensive midfielders can also drop deeper into the centre.

For me Baines has done enough defensively over his career to be classed a top class full back. He is now coming to the end of his playing at the top level and should be phased out but for me is still an important figure to have round the team.

It does make me smile to think that Hibbert used to get slated for not being a modern full back and now Baines is being slated for being too much like a modern full back.

If an EPL composite best XI team were named, Bainsey would assuredly be at LB and Seamus at RB. Calls on here for Capt Jags to be at CB are, imo, a little Everton biased...yes, Capt Jags’leadership qualities are unparalleled, but he’s no longer world class like Bainsey and Seamus.
So he was better than Ashley Cole ? Behave.

Maybe but it was still true.

Nah, its not mate. He was never even the best in the prem and was poor for England.

He was very good going forward, but the defensive side was so bad that you just cant stick him in the top 3 in world football without that side.

Nah, its not mate. He was never even the best in the prem and was poor for England.

He was very good going forward, but the defensive side was so bad that you just cant stick him in the top 3 in world football without that side.
Lescott and distan had the pace at cb to cover him when he went forward, after they left he used to get exposed.

Last edited:
Thinking back he has always been suspect in defence. Especially going out and stopping the cross from an opposition winger.

Lescott and distan had the pace at cb to cover him when he went forward, after they left he used to get exposed.

And also Pienaar covering and tracking very often.

I have love watching Baines, and he hs been a very good player. But his all-round game was the reason he never really got a big move.

Even on saturday, think it was king that had a headed chance, Coleman could not quite get back to win the header.

Just look at that again....the 2 cenre backs and Coleman was dragged over because Baines was way out of position again....now Theo should have been helping out Coleman, but Baines was the reason the defence was all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back