Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is important to have experienced "teachers" to teach the kids a thing or two about judging situations which is very vital for the defence. That will give the youngsters a chance to get different, yet non conflicting, perspectives about different scenarios.
They're losers. They'll impart the stink of what being a loser is all about to "the kids".

Oh boy.

"More important positions". Can you imagine how much we'd be ribboned if we had to turn to those two in a chase for the top 6?
This is only an issue because your agenda driven dislike for Baines is through the roof. Baines at 34 is still better than a good chunk of the PL teams left backs and chasing for top 6 won't be decided by Baines and Jagielka.
It's one season Dave calm down it'll be over for you know it.

Just curious how you convince a first team calibre player in their prime to sign in order to sit on the bench for ~35 league games next season (if not all 38)
Or you bring through good young pros for each of those positions. Like other clubs try and do. Players eager to seize their opportunity.

Is this the Brands/Silva model? Handing contracts to two dinosaurs because "we have more crucial areas populated first"?

BTW, I;d like to know why CD and LB aren't important areas to get right.

Easier to assert than justify that one, I reckon.

This is only an issue because your agenda driven dislike for Baines is through the roof. Baines at 34 is still better than a good chunk of the PL teams and chasing for top 6 won't be decided by Baines and Jagielka.
It's one season Dave calm down it'll be over for you know it.
35 and 37 years olds when we're supposed to be building for the future. This should be YOUR agenda too, not only mine and some other posters.

35 and 37 years olds when we're supposed to be building for the future. This should be YOUR agenda too, not only mine and some other posters.
Jags one is fair enough to disagree with because it has more downsides to it than Baines staying for 1 year but I don't see how people can disagree with Baines staying it makes sense across the board, I mean if we're building for the future we'd ideally have someone starting in front of Digne who is younger not rotting on the bench getting zero minutes in a back up role.
Baines has started S I X games this season (PL) only who the hell is going to want to do that job youngster or not?

Before yesterday's story I had imagined both Baines and Jagielka would go be released and we'd replace them with Holgate and Gibson from next season.

I guess Silva and Brands have weighed it up along with the rest of the squad and think the better thing to do would be to keep Baines for another season. There isn't much more to it than that.

Jags one is fair enough to disagree with because it has more downsides to it than Baines staying for 1 year but I don't see how people can disagree with Baines staying it makes sense across the board, I mean if we're building for the future we'd ideally have someone starting in front of Digne who is younger not rotting on the bench getting zero minutes in a back up role.
Baines has started S I X games this season (PL) only who the hell is going to want to do that job youngster or not?
I didn't expect us to go out and pay £20m for another left back. I'd hoped we'd think Robinson was good enough to do it (I haven't seen enough of him to judge myself) but it appears not. I assume he'll be sold in the summer, if he's not good enough to play six games next season then you'd have to think he never will be. Again, it's certainly not terrible news, but I can see why people are a bit concerned about what it says about us as a club. Two years ago we had a 'short window to stop ourselves being a museum', had no 'restrictions on spending', and were a 'really exciting project' and now we're offering contract extensions to players who'll be 35 before the halfway point of the season and who really haven't looked too hot for 18 months now. It's not a surprise, but it's sobering.

As long as he is kept for experience & not to actually play then I don't see anything wrong with him staying. Even if it might be on £30-40k a week.

I didn't expect us to go out and pay £20m for another left back. I'd hoped we'd think Robinson was good enough to do it (I haven't seen enough of him to judge myself) but it appears not. I assume he'll be sold in the summer, if he's not good enough to play six games next season then you'd have to think he never will be. Again, it's certainly not terrible news, but I can see why people are a bit concerned about what it says about us as a club. Two years ago we had a 'short window to stop ourselves being a museum', had no 'restrictions on spending', and were a 'really exciting project' and now we're offering contract extensions to players who'll be 35 before the halfway point of the season and who really haven't looked too hot for 18 months now. It's not a surprise, but it's sobering.
I thought Robinson was acceptable in pre season and heard he had decent games for the national team but don't know how he's done on loan.
We don't know what our budget is for this season.
We don't know if Silva/Brands rates any of the youngsters who are lets backs (looks like they don't) I think for one season (on reduced wages) Baines staying is perfectly reasonable.
I don't think it's something where people should be foaming at the mouth over it's not that big of a deal and certainly keeping or releasing Baines won't make a difference to pushing on for top 6 next season.

Last season we were a different team with and without him in the team. He's not a starting player any more but to suggest he's been terrible in recent seasons is just patently false. Other than Bournemouth away this season I can't remember him having a bad game recently.

This is being blown a bit out of proportion. We're going to ideally be working with 20 players next season, the majority being under 25/26 and 4 of them will be new to the club. Having an experienced full back as second choice for one more season isn't a massive negative.

The club have weighed up the situation and feel it makes sense. Jagielka is a different kettle of fish, hence the answer yesterday from Silva wasn't that he'd been offered one as well.

Baines for another year makes sense,especially if we get Europe. I’d be more inclined to show Jagielka the door though.

We’ve got 3 good CBs and maybe Holgate can stake a claim. If not then we’ll need a new CB.

@davek

This has made my day. I said a few weeks ago to you that these two would get new offers.
Rather these 2 on low wage and very limited game time as back up than wasting a season for a youth prospect who should be on loan if not playing regularly.

WIN WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back