Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sensible to keep him around for another season, otherwise we effectively have to go out to the market for a back up leftback who know they’ll barely play if Digne stays fit. Hopefully one of the younger lads can play back up next season and save us some cash.

Lads Leighton Baines as a backup, We could do much much worse. City have the Zynchenko or whatever and he's gash

Set to sign a 1 year deal thing i think was right Decision,expected it to happen after the reports few weeks back of a 1 year deal offered,as well as Jags going like he has now

Lads Leighton Baines as a backup, We could do much much worse. City have the Zynchenko or whatever and he's gash
I really like Zinchenko actually. Not a natural full back but a very good footballer and showed signings that he was growing into the role at the end of last season. Baines is the sort of player who is an absolute dream to have as your back up to come in for one game, but an absolute nightmare to be playing half a season. It's a tough call in my opinion.

.....I really like the little fella, I would’ve released him but I’m ok with the decision.

I have no doubt in his ability but he’s looked a bit fragile in the last 18months and my fear is him lasting a sustained run of games. The physicality of this league can catch up with small framed players.

Each to their own I suppose but how many times have you heard ex players saying I wish I was still p!aying, but yet some want to just sit off and let the end of their careers just die out.
A lot of players who've spent their careers at the top level really struggle to adapt when they move down the leagues. There's been loads of players where you think 'he'll smash it there' but they just don't. Whether the hunger/intensity has gone, or they struggle to deal with the fact other players aren't as good I don't know, but it happens a lot.

I really like Zinchenko actually. Not a natural full back but a very good footballer and showed signings that he was growing into the role at the end of last season. Baines is the sort of player who is an absolute dream to have as your back up to come in for one game, but an absolute nightmare to be playing half a season. It's a tough call in my opinion.
It's fine for a year, We have more important areas to cover than LB, Baines can get the boot next summer when you look at other teams back up LB Baines isn't a bad choice to have. He can still do a decent job

It's a very good decision to keep Baines an extra year. We need a new right back to take over from Seamus in 2020.

A lot of players who've spent their careers at the top level really struggle to adapt when they move down the leagues. There's been loads of players where you think 'he'll smash it there' but they just don't. Whether the hunger/intensity has gone, or they struggle to deal with the fact other players aren't as good I don't know, but it happens a lot.

....he probably didn’t want to drop down a level, so his options might have been limited in this country.

Sensible to keep him around for another season, otherwise we effectively have to go out to the market for a back up leftback who know they’ll barely play if Digne stays fit. Hopefully one of the younger lads can play back up next season and save us some cash.

Prudent all round. Baines is an established experienced premier league player, arguably one of the best for a period, good to have around for the squad and for the odd game.

i think hes class me

I’d like Zinchenko for us in midfield. Very good on the ball and tenacious character.

It's fine for a year, We have more important areas to cover than LB, Baines can get the boot next summer when you look at other teams back up LB Baines isn't a bad choice to have. He can still do a decent job
It’s a calculated risk I guess. They’re gambling that he won’t be needed much, in which case I agree it’s fine. If he’s needed for a run of 10-12 games or more I think it will become clear that he’s a problem. Can see the logic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back