Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Marcelo, Dani Alves...these are the players that he should be compared with, not Seamus Coleman.

Why shouldn't he be compared with Coleman, they are both fullbacks, and providing defensive protection is still a fundamental role of a fullback?

Why shouldn't he be compared with Coleman, they are both fullbacks, and providing defensive protection is still a fundamental role of a fullback?

Because as much as you want to fit a square peg in a round hole, they don't play the same position given our tactics.

So you want Baines to stay back and provide defensive cover at all times then...... Ok.

Me, I think attack is the best form of defence. Leave Baines to bomb forward I say.

I couldn't agree more. Baines has created more chances for his teammates than anyone else in Europe, but because all of a sudden united want him, the lad is dodgy defensively. I have already said in this piece, that Baines is the best full back I have seen at Everton. I would rank him above any of our title winning full backs of the 80s. One thing is certain if Baines is sold his creativity down the left will be sorely missed. In addition to this I think his defensive capabilities are more than adequate. If he is so 'dodgy' defensively than why have his fellow pros voted him as the best left back in the premier league over the last 2 years. It is a big if, but if Baines does stay I am really looking forward to how Martinez can develop our attacking play further. Even Baines has said this himself!!!! Oviedo is obviously a decent squad player, but to me not the one to replace Baines.

FFS Baines is not for sale - we rejected the bid - it happened last season - UNT will not pay 18 million for a 28 year old

Different position I know, but they did with Van Persie. If moyes wants him that bad he will pay 18m. Knowing our board I fear it will be closer to 15m!! You've got to feel for Martinez, he has only been in the job for 5 mins and is about to lose our best player. At least he gets to know early on how our board operates.

Because as much as you want to fit a square peg in a round hole, they don't play the same position given our tactics.

They are both full-backs, and it's not like Seamus Coleman is shy of getting forward either.

It's OK recognising different tactics, but they play in the same position albeit on different sides of the pitch.

It all results to the same thing, Baines game results in him providing less defensive protection. If he could do both, then he would, but he can't so I don't see why there is such a problem in highlighting the weaknesses in Baines game (that's the game he has continued to play throughout his career)?

Last edited:
Different position I know, but they did with Van Persie. If moyes wants him that bad he will pay 18m. Knowing our board I fear it will be closer to 15m!! You've got to feel for Martinez, he has only been in the job for 5 mins and is about to lose our best player. At least he gets to know early on how our board operates.

This is my worry....Can we trust Kenwrong and the board to stand firm against our ex manager and the Man U media pressure ?? I live in hope... :lol:

Is this TOWIE fella really saying Baines cant defend?

No, the lad who quite possibly grew up closer to Liverpool City Centre than you did is saying that Baines attacking game comes at the expense of providing less protection to his defence. Are we supposed to ignore this? Is it not allowed to be mentioned?

No, the lad who quite possibly grew up closer to Liverpool City Centre than you did is saying that Baines attacking game comes at the expense of providing less protection to his defence. Are we supposed to ignore this? Is it not allowed to be mentioned?

Ok Joey Essex lad, calm down.

So that would suggest we would get exposed on the left wing very often?

Funny, cos of the goals we have conceded, most of them have been through the middle.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/6vhdt...e-Anyone-Out-There-Quite-Like-Leighton-Baines

2013%2f6%2fFullbacks.jpg

2013%2f6%2fBaines-Oczipka.jpg

If Everton, or indeed United, want a like-for-like replacement for Leighton Baines it's clear they'll struggle to find a player quite as similar in Europe as promising 24-year old Bastian Oczipka.

Ok Joey Essex lad, calm down.

So that would suggest we would get exposed on the left wing very often?

Funny, cos of the goals we have conceded, most of them have been through the middle.

I don't think they have. I think they have mostly come from our left hand side. That's beside the point though, there's nothing wrong in recognising that Baines attacking game comes at the expense of not providing as much defensive protection.

I don't think they have. I think they have mostly come from our left hand side. That's beside the point though, there's nothing wrong in recognising that Baines attacking game comes at the expense of not providing as much defensive protection.

Theres everything wrong with it, cos its false.

Baines is never out of postion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back