Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what Dave is saying, albeit in blunt terms, is that Bainesy is past his best.

In terms of being a defensive fullback, I tend to agree with Dave that this is not the best way to describe Baines.
As an offensive, overlapping fullback come wing back, Baines was particularly effective when Pienaar was in his pomp.

Now, if the club were to go out and recruit a top left back in the summer, then Baines would have/need to recover his offensive form of three to five years ago in order to command his place in the starting eleven, or... be the second choice, and better cover for a.n.other than Oviedo was for him.

I stand to be corrected by Dave on this assessment of his post, which was brutal.

Yes, that was a fair assessment.

Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind mate.

How are we as a club progressing when a player who has - to be very very kind about it - up and down form is an automatic first choice starter? We have gone from a situation where Baines was fighting for his place under competition from Oviedo and Galloway and even Garbutt to one where he is on the team sheet without thinking about it.

He is well past his best and as stated if he is an automatic choice next season we are going nowhere fast. Let's cut to the chase here: Jagielka we all know needs to be culled and will be; well same goes for "one of us" too. There is no room for sentiment in this league.

Get rid ASAP.

How are we as a club progressing when a player who has - to be very very kind about it - up and down form is an automatic first choice starter? We have gone from a situation where Baines was fighting for his place under competition from Oviedo and Galloway and even Garbutt to one where he is on the team sheet without thinking about it.

He is well past his best and as stated if he is an automatic choice next season we are going nowhere fast. Let's cut to the chase here: Jagielka we all know needs to be culled and will be; well same goes for "one of us" too. There is no room for sentiment in this league.

Get rid ASAP.

lollollollol

Clichy and Monreal are better than him (FFS Keiran Gibbs is). Milner has had a very good season at LB for them and pisses all over Baines' performances. Blind plays there becuse Shaw is injured.

Bertrand at Southampton is superior as are both Rose and Davies at Spurs as are Van Aanholdt at Palace and Robertson at Hull.

Baines was never a FB. He was a wing back who only worked with Pienaar, and only his set pieces distinguished him at one point in time.

If he's a starter for us next season you know that something is seriously out of order with all the claims to be on the rise and operating at a different level on and off the pitch yada, yada, yada. Baines is Moyes era. How he's lasted this far I don't know. More to do with managers failing to grasp the nettle and bin him off I suspect.
lollol
If you get anyone biting on that I'll be massive surprised mate.

Don't want to give davek any ammo to insult our boss LB but...

Sometimes our players need to pick up the pace, passing it around the back slowly when we're losing is ridiculous...

Recently whenever there is space in front of Baines, he slowly meanders into the space and then passes it backward to the CB... would like to see him try and drive forward more like Coleman does. He doesn't really cross anymore (not that anyone in our squad can head a ball anyway) although that low cross/pass to Mirallas in the second half was great.

I love baines but I agree about the passing backwards part,.. all our players do it and it drives me nuts. We play upto the opposition box or break with pace .... then pass backwards and give everyone time to get back in a defensive position... it's why we struggle to break down poor teams away from home IMO..

Get rid ASAP.

Cruel to be kind? Like Ronnie was with Barkley? ..... oh wait... you criticised him for that didn't you?

Him and Coleman are declining. It's painful to say because they've probably been the best full backs I've seen in royal blue. Both of their crosses are awful now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back