Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lennon and Coleman have worked well together before and it allows Seamus to play more of his normal attacking game when Lennon is in front of him, so that was always going to work out. Did you think Mirallas had a good game mate? I only watched the first hour yesterday, but I felt the game passed him by in the hour I saw him.

I still think he'll be gone in January if the right offer arrives.

On Baines: at the very least he needs resting. I'd be surprised if Galloway doesn't step in tomorrow and Baines isn't on the bench.

Yep I thought Kev done great tbh. He held out on the left when needed right up until about the 35th minute when Baines basically became left winger and we went to 3 at the back and Mirallas was pushed up in a free role. If anything Dave he was a little rusty which was understandable as he's barely had any minutes. I was surprised how well Lennon done and he grew into the game more and more so those minutes will have done him the world of good.

Your right though, if an offer of something like 9m comes up I don't think Martinez would think twice about selling Kev and o don't think Kev would think twice about leaving Everton considering the lack of game time he's had. Thought we looked a lot better though with him in the side than Kone

Yep I thought Kev done great tbh. He held out on the left when needed right up until about the 35th minute when Baines basically became left winger and we went to 3 at the back and Mirallas was pushed up in a free role. If anything Dave he was a little rusty which was understandable as he's barely had any minutes. I was surprised how well Lennon done and he grew into the game more and more so those minutes will have done him the world of good.

Your right though, if an offer of something like 9m comes up I don't think Martinez would think twice about selling Kev and o don't think Kev would think twice about leaving Everton considering the lack of game time he's had. Thought we looked a lot better though with him in the side than Kone
Fair enough mate, good analysis.

I still think Mirallas looks to serve himself before looking at what's available around him. The shot he got off in the first half early on when he tries to squeeze it in near post when it's really not on - for all Kone's deficiencies I think he'd have been head up looking for Lukaku's movement, which is probably why RM continually favours him.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was unfair to drop Galloway in favour or Bainsey, just unfair to drop him for a Bainsey who - for me - doesn't look to 100% and hasn't yet gone on any searing left wing raids culminating in a peach of a cross begging to be bladdered into the opposition net.
I wasn't criticising your point of view in any way, shape or form if that's how it appeared, and sorry if it appeared that way.

Rather, I was just expanding from your original point that the whole Baines vs Galloway debate was going to aggrieve people for different reasons.

I still think Mirallas looks to serve himself before looking at what's available around him. The shot he got off in the first half early on when he tries to squeeze it in near post when it's really not on - for all Kone's deficiencies I think he'd have been head up looking for Lukaku's movement, which is probably why RM continually favours him.

Kone would have miscontrolled it mate and watch it trickle out for a goal kick judging by his last few performances ;)

I know what u mean though, I think even just regarding that shot Kev has an instinct to just shoot and not look up. It wasn't going in but it could have easily hit the inside of Elliots leg and gone in. He then had another run right across the box but hit a tame effort. He was in the right place though two or three times and whilst we are paying his wage and he's in the squad I would much rather have him in the side because the one game out of 5 where he is class he tends to be able to win those games by himself.

Tomorrow is such a tough game and it could be one of those games where we need a Kev, Del, Lukaku or a Barkley to have an absolute stormer to get us maximum points. A win is vital just to get some momentum going and especially our home form which results wise has been patchy at best.

Kone would have miscontrolled it mate and watch it trickle out for a goal kick judging by his last few performances ;)

I know what u mean though, I think even just regarding that shot Kev has an instinct to just shoot and not look up. It wasn't going in but it could have easily hit the inside of Elliots leg and gone in. He then had another run right across the box but hit a tame effort. He was in the right place though two or three times and whilst we are paying his wage and he's in the squad I would much rather have him in the side because the one game out of 5 where he is class he tends to be able to win those games by himself.

Tomorrow is such a tough game and it could be one of those games where we need a Kev, Del, Lukaku or a Barkley to have an absolute stormer to get us maximum points. A win is vital just to get some momentum going and especially our home form which results wise has been patchy at best.
It's a measure of the progress of this squad that a player like Mirallas is now seen as a stand in or a second half sub. He's a very good player, but I dont see him as a natural for this team as a starter. He can win a game with one shot, but it's obvious he's not in Martinez's plans in terms of the blend he wants to start a game with.

Glad he is back, but anyone else think he is looking a bit lost ? defensively he is all over the place.

I don't think he's been bad at all but he's kind of stuck in limbo. He's now the most experienced defender in our backline and obviously will want to show leadership but he's also got a very raw and inexperienced centreback pairing next to him who he's not used to, on top of that he's got little to no cover in front of him and hes still expected to be one of our most creative players going forward.

It's a lot to ask for any player coming back from 6 months out to just slip in to his usual form straight away. He just needs a few games under his belt and the return of Jags will help him get up to speed quicker. A few clean sheets will give them all a boost and you'll see a return to previous standards.

I don't think he's been bad at all but he's kind of stuck in limbo. He's now the most experienced defender in our backline and obviously will want to show leadership but he's also got a very raw and inexperienced centreback pairing next to him who he's not used to, on top of that he's got little to no cover in front of him and hes still expected to be one of our most creative players going forward.

It's a lot to ask for any player coming back from 6 months out to just slip in to his usual form straight away. He just needs a few games under his belt and the return of Jags will help him get up to speed quicker. A few clean sheets will give them all a boost and you'll see a return to previous standards.

Yeah I agree with that, but Galloway looks the better defender. The amount of times Baines is about 10 yards from the player over the shoulder.

My main frustration with Kone in the last few games has been his apparent reluctance to go for goal when that was clearly the better option.

But I agree in principle. Kone offers a balance in that - though Kev does support Rom - it means Kev relying on Rom for knock-downs/flick-ons etc.

Kone provides us with another target up top, basically, to hold onto the ball and take a man away from Rom.

Kev isn't exactly the type of player you can lob a 40 yard pass to - he needs it playing either to his feet or in-behind so he can use his pace.

On topic, of course, Baines has looked shaky since coming back at times, but no more than to be expected.

The other day against Spurs is the first time he's looked totally isolated for us, though - in the first half at least.

Kone was drifting inside and Cleverley was stayin central as not to be exposed in that area. Baines gets into so many good positions where a few years ago there would be Pienaar popping up to link up with him.

It improved a bit when Cleverley moved to the left, but not by loads.

If RM wants a 'Pienaar' type - then someone like Bonaventura or Matias Fernandez needs to be a target. The former of those two being the most similar, in all honesty.

Was a driving force today.

Seems to be getting a ridiculous amount of knocks on his ankles, Sod's law.

I thought Baines really backed up Besic early doors with a couple of hefty challenges and I thought it was important to see an experienced player put his body on the like like that. Sometimes we pull out of far too many 50/50's for my liking but Baines was right on it tonight and in turn had his best performance for a long time.

I thought Baines really backed up Besic early doors with a couple of hefty challenges and I thought it was important to see an experienced player put his body on the like like that. Sometimes we pull out of far too many 50/50's for my liking but Baines was right on it tonight and in turn had his best performance for a long time.
i had baines as MoM, he upped the pace of the game, we looked much better defensively, he's better at stopping crosses at source, he's boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back