Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people complain we are in this terrible run of form but would still back Baines. Anyone seeing him jogging back toward his own box when we're under attack surely must see he's a liability and costing us.

His only role now is to take a spot kick. Not good enough. But no doubt "One Of Uz, lad" will be handed a new contract.

...that goal came from Lukaku losing the ball, he was looking for somebody to pass it to in space on the left but there was nobody there, Baines tried to fill the void but Lukaku lost it and the rest is history. Baines has looked heavy legged since his injury problems plus he's much more effective with a like minded tiki taki player in front of him.

Like elsewhere on the pitch there is a lack of blend and players complementing each other. Baines has suffered but until we get somebody else in he's still the best we have at this moment in time.

Exactly. Losers but they do community stuff.

All very worthwhile, but I believe all the top clubs do the same AND play to a high level.
tbf, I think it's a little unfair to ask our lads to do the Blue Chrimbo thing and perform on a footie field.
I'm prepared to cut them a little slack. After all, Blue Chrimbo happens but once a year....and oh the joy it brings to L4!!

yes. If asked to select a PL 1st XI, the first names that most would pick would be Bainsey and Seamus as that team's fullbacks. I reckon not many others in our team (other than perhaps Barkley and Rom) would make the cut.
But 4 players from Everton in a PL 1st XI is not to be sneezed at.
If RK can get our other stars (i.e. Mirallas, McCarthy, Lennon maybe) to shine, I'm confident we'll scoot up the table.
I'm feeling very positive, and reckon things will turn about vs Arsenal.
Should be a comfortable win...
Just made me feel better mate.

All very worthwhile, but I believe all the top clubs do the same AND play to a high level.
I can't make out if his posts are genuine or a wind up.

This is what winds me up with some fans. They fall in love with players and can't let go. Move Baines into midfield ffs. I'm just waiting for the let's get pienaar back shouts.

Baines is finished and Coleman is bang average. Wouldn't bat an eyelid if both were sold in January. Unlikely I know.

But I can't see RK putting up with them much longer

...that goal came from Lukaku losing the ball, he was looking for somebody to pass it to in space on the left but there was nobody there, Baines tried to fill the void but Lukaku lost it and the rest is history. Baines has looked heavy legged since his injury problems plus he's much more effective with a like minded tiki taki player in front of him.

Like elsewhere on the pitch there is a lack of blend and players complementing each other. Baines has suffered but until we get somebody else in he's still the best we have at this moment in time.
Baines in the past was largely excused his defensive duties by the hard work of Piennar who covered Baines going forward...the only part of Baines's game that was ever worth having. He's got no aptitude going forward now so we have the worst of all worlds with him. No new partner is going to change that.

You've rightly mentioned our need for more creativity in midfield and for Lukaku to...well...move.

If we bring in those players / make those adjustments if we can, isn't it conceivable that Baines may actually improve? Because of the options and the variety of those options ahead of him?

I can't make out if his posts are genuine or a wind up.

This is what winds me up with some fans. They fall in love with players and can't let go. Move Baines into midfield ffs. I'm just waiting for the let's get pienaar back shouts.

Baines is finished and Coleman is bang average. Wouldn't bat an eyelid if both were sold in January. Unlikely I know.

But I can't see RK putting up with them much longer
He should go back to S'ton for Bertrand.

You've rightly mentioned our need for more creativity in midfield and for Lukaku to...well...move.

If we bring in those players / make those adjustments if we can, isn't it conceivable that Baines may actually improve? Because of the options and the variety of those options ahead of him?
He lacks the basics for a FB: he has no pace; he has not positional sense. I don't think we should be wasting our time on mulling over who it'd be good to buy in order to get the best out of a 32 year old crocked LB.

Baines in the past was largely excused his defensive duties by the hard work of Piennar who covered Baines going forward...the only part of Baines's game that was ever worth having. He's got no aptitude going forward now so we have the worst of all worlds with him. No new partner is going to change that.

...you're right about his attacking value, there was a time some seasons ago when he was out injured and we were significantly blunt. From what I can see RK doesn't want his full backs spending time up front, it appears Coleman and Baines have less licence to attack.

I doubt a tiki taki wide player fits RKs team model so it's unlikely Baines will have such a partner in the future and LB is probably a position they are looking at. Saying that, unless there's somebody in the youth ranks Baines is still the no1 no3.

He lacks the basics for a FB: he has no pace; he has not positional sense. I don't think we should be wasting our time on mulling over who it'd be good to buy in order to get the best out of a 32 year old crocked LB.
But what about any LB?
It's alright saying "he doesn't do this, he doesn't do that" but the team is completely devoid of creativity. You call for Bertrand but what exactly is he going to be able to deliver whilst we are toothless? An observation you, yourself have made.

...you're right about his attacking value, there was a time some seasons ago when he was out injured and we were significantly blunt. From what I can see RK doesn't want his full backs spending time up front, it appears Coleman and Baines have less licence to attack.
I doubt a tiki taki wide player fits RKs team model so it's unlikely Baines will have such a partner in the future and LB is probably a position they are looking at. Saying that, unless there's somebody in the youth ranks Baines is still the no1 no3.

I'd bring Galloway back and play him until we can buy a better LB in the summer.

Has nobody but a sea of oppsition players in front of him when he's on the ball, no one showing or giving angles, when defending he has no cover in front, blame the system not just bainsey. he does however seem to have been hit with the same lack of form that the rest of our starting 11 (bar Gueye).

But what about any LB?
It's alright saying "he doesn't do this, he doesn't do that" but the team is completely devoid of creativity. You call for Bertrand but what exactly is he going to be able to deliver whilst we are toothless? An observation you, yourself have made.
Having pace is a minimum requirement in this league. Baines doesn't possess it anymore. Bertrand is one Koeman has splashed out for before, so I'd imagine he rates him still/ He's one of these LBs who CAN get up and down the line. That has to be a massive improvement on Baines. Experienced in winning a big game too, which cant be sniffed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back