Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, definitely a different angle on it and maybe it was tactical, it just didn't look that way to me. Why, if you have a head start to get there first, would you willingly allow the Palace player to regain possession of the ball deep in our half, surely you can get there first and not have to set off on a counter attack, just play the ball up the park to Lukaku (not that he was remotely capable last night of doing anything with it).
He had a slight head start but Bolasie is obviously quicker than him - he's quicker than Baines was even at his peak, and he's bigger. My take on it was that he thought it would be 50/50 whether he would get there first, and so decided not to take the risk.

While it was deep in our half, he positioned himself so that the palace player couldn't go anywhere, and so negated any danger. If he'd lost out, or got to the ball and had his pass forward cut out, it would have been far more dangerous, as he'd have been out of position and his man would be behind him.

As has been said, there's no doubt he has lost a bit of pace, and it's well known that he's had a bad ankle injury for nearly 2 years now that has been causing problems. I just didn't think that particular incident was evidence of his legs going.

Played well last night. Stood up Bolasie time and time again, made him either go backwards or cross with his left foot which usually means a dire cross.

The lad is quality. He needs a partner in front of him that will get him in the game. What about that City lad? De Bruyne or something like that, he's called.

He had a slight head start but Bolasie is obviously quicker than him - he's quicker than Baines was even at his peak, and he's bigger. My take on it was that he thought it would be 50/50 whether he would get there first, and so decided not to take the risk.

While it was deep in our half, he positioned himself so that the palace player couldn't go anywhere, and so negated any danger. If he'd lost out, or got to the ball and had his pass forward cut out, it would have been far more dangerous, as he'd have been out of position and his man would be behind him.

As has been said, there's no doubt he has lost a bit of pace, and it's well known that he's had a bad ankle injury for nearly 2 years now that has been causing problems. I just didn't think that particular incident was evidence of his legs going.

Good stuff, it is all about debate isn't it. You have given me a perspective I hadn't considered last night.

Mangerial instructions?

No I think age has caught up in his legs and his energy levels are not what they used to be. He used to be up and down that flank without breaking sweat and I just think he cannot do it anymore therefore stops and plays the inside ball more often than not. Takes away so much from his game. Maybe it is time to try him out in CM as has been mentioned at times.

One thing not mentioned is that he missed the end of last season and thst probably affected his preseason.

Also, the injuries....we need to get him fit for next season and manage whatever operations he needs in the summer.

Snag is, Oviedo is also very brittle and so despite having them, Galloway and Garbutt we dont have a consistent performer.

No I think age has caught up in his legs and his energy levels are not what they used to be. He used to be up and down that flank without breaking sweat and I just think he cannot do it anymore therefore stops and plays the inside ball more often than not. Takes away so much from his game. Maybe it is time to try him out in CM as has been mentioned at times.

regrettably happen you are right, so is it time to phase him out in favour of Oviey and do we bring back Garbutt. Any news on him BTW anyone?

If we're taking instructions from a manger that would explain it.

He used to have a player in front of him, but look at the average positions now - he's the sole winger/midfielder on the left, if he bombs forward he leaves a massive hole in our defence.

If you are right then the finger does point to the Manager or as Banno says age has caught up mind it would still point to the manager messing up.

look at who he's had either shoe horned in front of him ( Cleverley / Kone / Niasse / Naismith / Oviedo) or has been completely off through injury or poor play themselves ( Pienaar / Mirralas ) .... Factor in his obvious ankle woes for the past 2 seasons.... no wonder he's not lighting up the stats going forward. Class player .... hope we get him fit next year and the new manager puts someone in front of him that allows him to get forward.

Baines was a great signing and i rated him at wigan + was thrilled when we signed him.

Hes been the best LB at the club, perhaps the best we have ever had and perhaps the best in Europe.

But for 2 seasons now he has been getting injuries and i dont know if i believe he is carrying one now but dropped for oviedo then dropped by england....

Todays game he went off almost in tears...hes a blue.

I'm sorry but after the "chemistry" comments id expect him to lead by example and for me hes half way to "doing a distin". He was so meek today and at southampton and many other times...just allowing their players past him almost every attack....yes oviedo was worse today but Baines was also terrible and oviedo was out of position.

Perhaps he can play DM but hes finished as a LB.

Sad to watch him today.

He was pathetic today, no hiding place regardless if I love him or not. Absolutely [Poor language removed] along with the gang of tossers pretending to be footballers.

I was hoping that he was carrying an injury like weve been told. But i cant see how he can carry the same injury which he came back from and then get in the side? If a different injury then yes but the same injury makes no sense.

Hes finished as a top level LB, perhaps he can play DM but otherwise we need changes and at RB too.

I was hoping that he was carrying an injury like weve been told. But i cant see how he can carry the same injury which he came back from and then get in the side? If a different injury then yes but the same injury makes no sense.

Hes finished as a top level LB, perhaps he can play DM but otherwise we need changes and at RB too.

I would like to think he isn't finished mate but there's no way I'm defending any performances he's put in on the field the past few games and more importantly tonight.

Not good enough. Not acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back