Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rs play Milner
City play clichy
United play blind
Arsenal play monreal

He's better than all four mate
So your talking rubbish.
People keep trying to slate Baines as a poor defender, but I have never seen it. If he has a weakness in his game right now, it is his hesitancy to get forward. He can be replaced, but there are much more urgent positions to be filled. He is still VERY GOOD despite the crap people are spewing. The list above pretty much sums up my bewilderment.

Any top four ambitious team doesn't have Baines as a starting LB.

Koeman has played him for diplomatic purposes. This summer that LB position needs sorting once and for all.
You are wrong, why let Oviedo go then? Baines is class. This is one of the the areas we need to look at least.

Was very good again today.
He's been proving you wrong all season my friend.
Now bugger off and terrorise some other thread lol
He's finished. As said, if he starts for Everton next season you know the ambitions of this club remain all talk.

Rs play Milner
City play clichy
United play blind
Arsenal play monreal

He's better than all four mate
So your talking rubbish.
Clichy and Monreal are better than him (FFS Keiran Gibbs is). Milner has had a very good season at LB for them and pisses all over Baines' performances. Blind plays there becuse Shaw is injured.

Bertrand at Southampton is superior as are both Rose and Davies at Spurs as are Van Aanholdt at Palace and Robertson at Hull.

Baines was never a FB. He was a wing back who only worked with Pienaar, and only his set pieces distinguished him at one point in time.

If he's a starter for us next season you know that something is seriously out of order with all the claims to be on the rise and operating at a different level on and off the pitch yada, yada, yada. Baines is Moyes era. How he's lasted this far I don't know. More to do with managers failing to grasp the nettle and bin him off I suspect.

You are wrong, why let Oviedo go then? Baines is class. This is one of the the areas we need to look at least.

This is depressing. Do you actually believe that? We are desperate for someone to come in and clear that locker out and make it their own.

No wonder people accept 7th as a great season. When are we going start thinking big and not small time?

"Baines is one of us lad" - I could give a flying one. He's not a defender and he's second rate and not what a club with ambition has in their starting line up.

FFS, this club is going to remain in the doldrums forever when we have that lad being championed as a starter for us.

Clichy and Monreal are better than him (FFS Keiran Gibbs is). Milner has had a very good season at LB for them and pisses all over Baines' performances. Blind plays there becuse Shaw is injured.

Bertrand at Southampton is superior as are both Rose and Davies at Spurs as are Van Aanholdt at Palace and Robertson at Hull.

Baines was never a FB. He was a wing back who only worked with Pienaar, and only his set pieces distinguished him at one point in time.

If he's a starter for us next season you know that something is seriously out of order with all the claims to be on the rise and operating at a different level on and off the pitch yada, yada, yada. Baines is Moyes era. How he's lasted this far I don't know. More to do with managers failing to grasp the nettle and bin him off I suspect.

Sorry Dave.

You've just suggested Patrick Van Aanholt is a good defender.

Let that sink in.

IMG_1134.webp

If he's a starter for us next season you know that something is seriously out of order with all the claims to be in the rise and operating at a different level on and off the pitch. Baines is Moyes era. How he's lasted this far I don't know. More to do with managers failing to grasp the nettle and bin him off I suspect.m

Clichy isn't mate, everyone e going has slated guardiola this season for failing to replace the fullbacks as they are both woeful.

Monreal isn't, he's been poor all season

Milner has been crap btw, unless you regard holding the record for the player most dribbled past as some accolade. Oh yeah he has crossed 140 times with 1 assist the past 6 games though, very impressive, he's rated high purely on scoring pens mate.

Shaw hasn't been played when fit as mourinho doesn't rare the lad and said as much, unless you think being slated for being fat is a compliment.

As for van aanholdt, lol, I've watched him quite a bit mate, have Sunderland season ticket holders as family, the lad is a absolutely terrible defender, the fact you rate him lol.

You see Davies at spurs today mate? Never once seen Baines get bent over and exposed time and time again like that, he was absolutely horrendous.

Bertrand and Robertson, didn't know either hull or saint where aiming for top 4 like which is what you stated Baines wasn't good enough for.

Agenda driven horse manure, entirely based upon his calling out ofm last season.

This is depressing. Do you actually believe that? We are desperate for someone to come in and clear that locker out and make it their own.

No wonder people accept 7th as a great season. When are we going start thinking big and not small time?

"Baines is one of us lad" - I could give a flying one. He's not a defender and he's second rate and not what a club with ambition has in their starting line up.

FFS, this club is going to remain in the doldrums forever when we have that lad being championed as a starter for us.

I think what Dave is saying, albeit in blunt terms, is that Bainesy is past his best.

In terms of being a defensive fullback, I tend to agree with Dave that this is not the best way to describe Baines.
As an offensive, overlapping fullback come wing back, Baines was particularly effective when Pienaar was in his pomp.

Now, if the club were to go out and recruit a top left back in the summer, then Baines would have/need to recover his offensive form of three to five years ago in order to command his place in the starting eleven, or... be the second choice, and better cover for a.n.other than Oviedo was for him.

I stand to be corrected by Dave on this assessment of his post, which was brutal in its frankness.

Have to agree with @AndyC . I love Baines, as he is a total professional. never moaning, or acting like a prima dona. He just gets on with it and puts everything into it. There's no doubting his skills either, but from what I have observed, he does not have the stamina of past seasons. I could be wrong, but, as super fit as he is, it looks like his age is catching up to him, especially with all the running he has to put in when going forward. All of which would explain why he doesn't do that as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back