Lions and donkeys: 10 big myths about World War One debunked

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at the way the british upper class are hitting the revisionist history about this one so hard.

Bless them.

The express did an editorial where, without a hint of irony, they argued that WW1 was a noble fight against imperialism. By a country which owned most of the world.

LOL at the way the british upper class are hitting the revisionist history about this one so hard.

Bless them.

The express did an editorial where, without a hint of irony, they argued that WW1 was a noble fight against imperialism. By a country which owned most of the world.

and the horrific thing is most people will believe them.

Just look at Max Hasting's latest offering :(

Probably my favourite subject in history. So many fascinating plots and sub plots and the advancement in technology in such a short period of time.

Horrendous when you consider the human cost of it all.

Probably my favourite subject in history. So many fascinating plots and sub plots and the advancement in technology in such a short period of time.

Horrendous when you consider the human cost of it all.

Hard for me to choose between this one and WW2. WWI is so interesting though.

I actually thought the historian brought up some interesting points. To those that mock whether some solidier may have "enjoyed" it...you've never been around soldiers. "Enjoy" is probably the wrong word, but to say that someone who had only seen the inside of a factory or the drudgery of farm life, it might have seemed quite liberating and exciting.

It's important in Historical studies to continuously question narratives. The "truths" or "myths" that come out of any conflict or historical episode are almost always wrong or incomplete. So even if you don't agree at first, it's good to question beliefs and look further. That's the whole fun of history.

If you look closely at the facts, the Battle of the Somme was just like a day out at SeaWorld in Orlando.

Euro Disney is just a big re-enactment of trench warfare as well, it all makes sense now.

I've been to SeaWorld in Orland in the middle of the Florida summer.

Somme every day for me.

I've been to SeaWorld in Orland in the middle of the Florida summer.

Somme every day for me.

Will have to visit the Somme soon, done a few of the D-day beaches the other year when in Normandy. Fascinating and also tragic at the same time, the war cemeteries brings it all home when you look at the ages of them. I like ****ging the French off, but they do a fantastic job of keeping them immaculate.

We should get some excellent documentaries this year on WWI.

I actually thought the historian brought up some interesting points. To those that mock whether some solidier may have "enjoyed" it...you've never been around soldiers. "Enjoy" is probably the wrong word, but to say that someone who had only seen the inside of a factory or the drudgery of farm life, it might have seemed quite liberating and exciting.

It's important in Historical studies to continuously question narratives. The "truths" or "myths" that come out of any conflict or historical episode are almost always wrong or incomplete. So even if you don't agree at first, it's good to question beliefs and look further. That's the whole fun of history.
vietnam best soundtrack though yeah?

I have a cutting somewhere that I must dig out - it's about WWI and an appeal by Lord Derby to Everton fans to join up in 1916 (he had his serfs hand out forms to supporters at a home match which they were supposed to reply to). The results were printed in a local paper and the answers were comical...of the 'I'm washing me hair' and 'do one your Lordship' variety. :lol:

Nothing he said surprised me, tbh. I knew most of it.

And it seems very much to miss the point to think that they change the view of the war.

The reason why WW1 has the reputation it does, it's because it was the last and biggest of the many bloody wars fought between europe's aristotracy as to whom owned slight more serfs and the first where the men directing the battle weren't in the line of fire themselves.

The fact that neither trend was at it's peak is rather missing that it's the collation of the two trends that make it's reputation what it is.

Galipoli means what it does to the anzecs at least partly because it was them fighting purely for the interests of britain and not remotely for their own (unlike ww2).

Nothing he said surprised me, tbh. I knew most of it.

And it seems very much to miss the point to think that they change the view of the war.

The reason why WW1 has the reputation it does, it's because it was the last and biggest of the many bloody wars fought between europe's aristotracy as to whom owned slight more serfs and the first where the men directing the battle weren't in the line of fire themselves.

The fact that neither trend was at it's peak is rather missing that it's the collation of the two trends that make it's reputation what it is.

Galipoli means what it does to the anzecs at least partly because it was them fighting purely for the interests of britain and not remotely for their own (unlike ww2).

As someone who studied European History at a Master's (Graduate School) level, the interesting question for me has always been, who writes the History? It's the elites. The educated. The literary.

Much of what we now feel as collective memory comes from the soldier poets et al. Your average factory worker from Durham wasn't writing journals, wasn't publishing poems, and wasn't publishing novels or memoirs. He simply joined up, did his part and either died, got wounded or went back home and got on with it.

The second part is that there is always a race to find the narrative. The story that makes it all worthwhile. The Germans had their own narrative (which as we see was based on a fallacy of "capitulation" rather than surrender in the face of the facts). And the allies had theirs.

But as the years go on, and we have less invested in the narrative, history gets interesting. We peel back the layers. This is what I find so fascinating about it and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would hate history (that has half a brain).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back