Liverpool locals only - Why and how did you become a blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember deciding to be a blue but I remember a few early thoughts at a very young age in the late 70s :loving the blue kit, loving the name Everton, Goodison, hearing the Goodison crowd cheering a a goal from our house, loving the players,knowing that Everton were the underdogs, hating the Liverpool kit well everything about them the spineless spoilt brats, knowing that Everton were the underdogs. All the spineless kids throughout my youth went on to support Liverpool.

Followed my Dad really. He was brought up off County Road. He took me to a game in the late sixties when I was about seven. We beat Forest 1-0. My Dad had continually drummed into me about Ball, Kendall Harvey etc so when I saw Alan Ball I was hooked. What a player! I also recall not really taking much notice of Liverpool until they beat us in the 1971 FA Cup Semi at Old Trafford. Ball put us ahead but Labone got injured and we imploded (sound familiar?). We lost 2-1 and I remember the look on my Dad's face when he got home from the game some hours later! Hated them ever since. Funny thing is, when I look back I think what a good job my Dad did, because he never once spoke about Liverpool to me, never give a chance to even consider the dark side. I was oblivious to anything other than the royal blue jersey etc.
I played for a Sunday league football team run by Micky Lyons called Malpas in the early 70's. I lived about ten minutes walk from his house in Malpas Rd (hence the team being called Malpas). Anyway, after our games on a Sunday Micky used to give me a lift home from the West Derby playing fields off Eaton Road. My team mates were dead jealous. How ace was that. Played for his team for two years and then he became a regular with Everton so had to forego running the team. It wouldn't happen now.
One little quick story -One night we were having a pre-season friendly and I couldn't remember the kick off time so I knocked on his door and his sister answered. I remember her shouting up the stairs and saying "Mike, its for you one of your footy team are here". He shouted down "tell him to hang on for 5 mins I'm on the loo"!! There's me waitin at an Everton players front door while he finishes of havin a s***!!
Even though we were largely poor in the mid to late 70's (well compared to them anyway) I never lost the faith and my own boys are also staunch Blues. I was determined to carry on the family tradition and both lads won't be swayed by their plastic mates at School despite all the ribbing. I told my youngest son that on the way home from Cornwall this summer we will be passing West Broms ground on the first day of the season and that there was a good chance we'd see some 'Devon Reds' in the northbound M5 services. He just said - "right, I'm wearing my new Everton shirt to travel home that day"!! I just thought - "Thats my boy"!!

Great story, but what was his sister like........

chosen to be a blue, all of my family on my dads side are retarded reds only me called to the blue, now all of my kids are blue, im hoping to change the d.n.a of the family by breeding the red gene out forever

I don't even know! My Dad and his side are diehards, I just recall having kits and a room full of posters from as far back as I recall and going to various games with my Dad.

Looking back I actually think he brainwashed me.... wouldn't change it for the world though! :)

My little one is a blue, I made sure of it. When he was 5 He once said he liked the other lot (his mates are Kopites) I told him that the RS put his favorite teddy in the bin and Phil Neville rescued it, ever since then he hates them! Downside he loves Phil neville now :S

Dad was an Irish blue who came over on the boat in the 50's to marry me Mum. Took me to my first game against Norwich in the late 70's or early 80's, Joe Royle played for Norwich. I didn't ahve a clue who he was, but my Pops told me he was an Everton legend. We won somehting like 4-1 with Royle scoring for Norwich.

The whole of the ground cheered when he scored. And I've been hooked ever since.

My Dad's side are blues, my Mum's are reds. But luckily the RS side of the family don't really care about footy and me Ma changed allegiances once she married me Da.

Bought my little boy the smallest Everton kit I could find at the time. He's 2 now and he can stil fit in to it :)

Not from Liverpool but I'll tell my little tale, First I'm a Preston fan with a love for all football, I have a little lad who's now 9, it started a couple of years ago with him wanting to go to different football grounds, at the time Preston weren't doing too good, to be fair nothing has changed! We did most northern Prem grounds a couple of times including Analfield, I hold my hand up in disgust to admit I've been 3 times (a delivery driver at work got free tickets), anyway they won twice, not just saying it but the atmosphere was terrible, the only words that was spoken to myself or my lad was 'scuse me' as they was leaving the ground, also they had a loss to Reading in the FA cup at the end of the game the scum just booed their own and the reading players.
I saved my First trip to Goodison for Feb 5th 2011 against Blackpoo (due to Preston's hatred for the lashers), which turned out to be one of the best games I've ever been on, 5-3 against em.. BRILLIANT! To me the Gwladys street was fantastic, so loud and friendly, I really was stood on my seat singing for the blues at the end, My second trip was the 1-0 loss also in the FA cup against Reading, the thing that got me was there was no booing at the end of this game just people staying behind to applaud the Reading players, I've now lost count the amount of times I've been to Goodison, I don't just come back to watch Premiership football I come back because it's Everton.
I can't explain why I like 2 clubs, If the sides ever met in the cup, I'd just hope for a decent game and that Everton better go on and win the cup.
Basically I've seen both sides of Stanley park, one side they're red ignorant ********s obsessed with Man utd and living in the past, The Other side They're Blue, They're Friendly, kind, always seem up for a laugh I could go on, The Everton fans really are a credit to the club.

Born and raised in Seaforth - the house I grew up in was painted blue and was called goodison! No chance of a becoming a red ever....went to my first game at the age of 6 armed with a fishing stool so I could see.

Not from Liverpool but I'll tell my little tale, First I'm a Preston fan with a love for all football, I have a little lad who's now 9, it started a couple of years ago with him wanting to go to different football grounds, at the time Preston weren't doing too good, to be fair nothing has changed! We did most northern Prem grounds a couple of times including Analfield, I hold my hand up in disgust to admit I've been 3 times (a delivery driver at work got free tickets), anyway they won twice, not just saying it but the atmosphere was terrible, the only words that was spoken to myself or my lad was 'scuse me' as they was leaving the ground, also they had a loss to Reading in the FA cup at the end of the game the scum just booed their own and the reading players.
I saved my First trip to Goodison for Feb 5th 2011 against Blackpoo (due to Preston's hatred for the lashers), which turned out to be one of the best games I've ever been on, 5-3 against em.. BRILLIANT! To me the Gwladys street was fantastic, so loud and friendly, I really was stood on my seat singing for the blues at the end, My second trip was the 1-0 loss also in the FA cup against Reading, the thing that got me was there was no booing at the end of this game just people staying behind to applaud the Reading players, I've now lost count the amount of times I've been to Goodison, I don't just come back to watch Premiership football I come back because it's Everton.
I can't explain why I like 2 clubs, If the sides ever met in the cup, I'd just hope for a decent game and that Everton better go on and win the cup.
Basically I've seen both sides of Stanley park, one side they're red ignorant ********s obsessed with Man utd and living in the past, The Other side They're Blue, They're Friendly, kind, always seem up for a laugh I could go on, The Everton fans really are a credit to the club.

Do you go three monkeys? By the uni?

My dad has 6 brothers and a sister, ALL of whom are red. I have 14 cousins on that side ALL of whom are red. My Grandad said he was an Everpudlian and me Nan didn't, and still doesn't care. So that leaves the chosen ones... Myself, Me Arl Fella and my two brothers!! Born not manufactured!!

Top thread from the OP - must've got a more diverse selection of members commenting than any other other thread. Big rep to you if I could mate.

For me like many others, arl fella was a died in the wool blue. Don't really know about previous generations, but from the year dot for me there was no other way. 3 brothers also now unreconstructed blues. First game a 1-0 victory over Forest in around 1968. Biggest memory was the night we won the league in 1970 with a win over West Brom. I was 8 years old but the Holy Trinity was not lost on me - absolute poetry in motion. Floated across the pitch after the final whistle on me arl fella's shoulders. Priceless. I remember getting the late bus home that night and thinking life can't get any better - at 8!

I left Liverpool at about 24 and now live just outside London. My 3 sons and 1 daughter are all fierce bluenoses, and proudly wear their shirts at school among the Chelski/Arse/Spuds/QPR brigade. I'm so proud of them and they are so proud of Everton.

Does it get any better lids...?

I'm not sure. I am the only Blue in my blood family. But it just seemed right. 1994 when I was three I got my first kit, 1996, my first game, never forgot it. Graeme Stuart penalty to best Coventry.

From just down the road (Widnes) all my mates were reds either mainly manure but a few shoite as well. Old man was more into rugby league at the time, I'm talking 1966.I was 9 and not into football that much didn't have an allegiance. So all my mates were saying how they wanted Sheff Wed to win the cup I stupidly asked who they were playing Everton they say an we feckin hate them. So I pick Everton to be contrary like. Wasn't working out too well for the first hour and I was dreading going out to play with em later. But the blue boys came through for me that day.
I sometimes think Everton are like drug dealers they give you some of the good stuff get you hooked and then destroy your life with misery and pain for years and just when you think you've got the monkey off your back they do it to you again.
I've got two brothers in law RS, theyve got 2 sons each RS, father in law is slightly pink not full RS my 3 sons oldest n youngest not arsed middle one is a blue.

Top thread from the OP - must've got a more diverse selection of members commenting than any other other thread. Big rep to you if I could mate.

Noted mate. My pleasure. Funny I posted this a while back, but someone obviously found it and it's taken off here in the last few days.

Loving all these stories by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back