2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the way Benitez has us playing, should we think about cashing in on Digne? It's fairly clear that so far this season he's not being asked to attack as often as before and he's never been the best defensively. Obviously I think he's a top quality player but if we're not making the most of his strengths, should be look to move him on while he's still a high value player?

With the way Benitez has us playing, should we think about cashing in on Digne? It's fairly clear that so far this season he's not being asked to attack as often as before and he's never been the best defensively. Obviously I think he's a top quality player but if we're not making the most of his strengths, should be look to move him on while he's still a high value player?
Interesting point this, he hasnt been playing geat for a while, its a shame as i think he really has ability but we cant base the team around whats best for him

Interesting question. I’d keep him on balance. We relied on him far too much in an attacking sense, not that that was his fault. Bit more balance in the team now and other players contributing to attacks - he’ll still get chances to put the ball in the box just not as many.

Isn’t he one of the best defensive full backs in the league? Unless an outrageous offer came in for him, I wouldn’t understand any reason to sell him.
Imo he's not a defensive full back at all, regularly gets caught out of position and done on 1to1s. His game is about going the other way, and thats why i think he's struggled as past 12 months as he hasnt had anyone in front of him that he's been able to build any kind of relationship with.
Hoping he can regain his 19/20 form.

He has suffered because of the ever changing systems. He is an attacking LB who will always be better going forward. The problem he has is teams know we are going to attack down the left so they condense the space. If our right side was equal threat they would have to stay a bit more equal between the sides when defending. This is why the RS FBs did as they were both a threat. Digne needs us to get a new RB as much as anyone.

Isn’t he one of the best defensive full backs in the league? Unless an outrageous offer came in for him, I wouldn’t understand any reason to sell him.

The others cant be that good defensively then.
I dont think he's a particularly good defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.