Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. 2 games in the World Cup tell me a lot less than the last 2 seasons in the Premier League.

The Premier League is littered with a history of over the top spending (by other clubs!) and players coming in from foreign leagues who have failed. Lukaku has scored 16-17 goals in both of the last 2 seasons. That is an elite level striker, proven in the league who has shown he can fit in with the culture and style of play.

Point taken, but how many of his goals in England have impressed you? I've seen him score one goal from outside the box and that was on his right foot for WBA in a freak match and that didn't even go right in the corner. You say that the PL is littered with foreign failures but it's also littered with successes (which you would argue Lukaku is one). His career at Everton started brilliantly I admit, but I'm still not convinced we should spend £25m on him in our financial position. I also honestly think Martinez doesn't intend to.

Point taken, but how many of his goals in England have impressed you? I've seen him score one goal from outside the box and that was on his right foot and didn't even go right in the corner. You say that the PL is littered with foreign failures but it's also littered with success (which you would argue Lukaku is one). His career at Everton started brilliantly I admit, but I'm still not convinced we should spend £25m on him in our financial position. I also honestly think Martinez doesn't intend to.

What does it matter how impressive his goals were, they're still goals. Lineker never scored one outside the box in his whole career he was as clinical as you like and mainly in the 6yard box.

*I've said my thoughts enough in this thread, there is clearly divided opinion so i'm going to sit back and wait to see what happens.

Have people gone off us signing Lukaku for big money after his WC performances? I have a bit, and I just don't think it's realistic we spend £15-25m on him. I would rather spend £10m on two strikers. People here a while back were saying 'if only we could go for a Darren Bent for £24m like Villa. Then we'd be sorted'. etc. There are lots of goalscorers around Europe. Alan Carvalho, of Salzburg, scored 50 in 70 appearances if memory serves and he'd cost a lot less. That Aquino lad from Spain who hasn't had a first team chance yet. I hope Martinez spreads his £30m or so around. The thing I like the most about Martinez, is that he was a skilful player. Someone posted a Martinez thread which showed a brilliant goal he scored. Delefeou was a skilful player, as is McGeady. If Martinez signs Lukaku I won't complain but I sense he won't.
Some have had concerns about Rom and the huge money tag as the season wore on and the WC was his chance to show the doubters wrong - he hasn't. He's still in credit here because of a blistering start but there's a growing list of modern strikers found out after initially looking world beaters. It's all about the asking price with Rom, probably 13m tops for me.

We will pay on when we can afford, if we have 30 million to spend then we will pay 18 the most of him. Martinez might have to find a cheaper alternative as Chelsea will want around 25 million. The rs will go for him once Suarez leaves, we have to be quick if we want him.

To be honest I wouldn't pay 25 million on him if we had it. He's a good young player, but goes missing when we actually need him. There where games where he need naff all, and his work rate is very lazy.

To be honest I wouldn't pay 25 million on him if we had it. He's a good young player, but goes missing when we actually need him. There where games where he need naff all, and his work rate is very lazy.

Yep, when you look at Rooney and Suarez who work rate is top class as well

Yep, when you look at Rooney and Suarez who work rate is top class as well

Maybe true but one of them's currently valued at around £80m and the other is seemingly unsellable and earns £300k per week. Lukaku however is at least 8 years their junior with plenty of time to reach their levels when he's matured and gets to a stable club with a defined permanent role in a settled team.

Ii has always been the case and still is, he will go to whoever pays him the most. If no one else is interested and he gets real I'd take him, otherwise scoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back