Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Strikers untested in the Premiership are going for £30M-£40M these days so we'll more than get our money back for a guaranteed 15-20 goals a season young striker when he finally does move, and lets face it he will at some point.
All he's got to do is convince the bigger club to come in for him and they way he does that is by scoring/performing. A hat-trick in the Europa Cup final should do wonders for his career.

Funny that if all these so called champions league players played to the level that they imagine themselves to be worthy of Everton would actually be at that level and there wouldn't be any need to go anywhere. Instead, Lukaku, Mirallas, Barkley, and Fellaini before them, all talk no substance. If the first three were as good as they make themselves out to be we'd be in top 4 no question. I have't got a problem with Ross because he doesn't mouth off but the other two do my head in. You get on performance in five out of them and then they bang on about how we can't fulfil their ambitions. Ambition is winning something at a club where it is difficult, defying expectations and building something together, not sitting on City's bench and letting their 40 million pound buys win the league for you. There's no ambition in that, just greed and laziness. Lukaku and Mirallas are not top players, the bets they can hope for is a club like Spurs or an Italian one coming in for them. The top English Spanish and German clubs will not touch either of them.

Whats the commotion?

His narrative has never changed.

He said the same thing at his press conference when signing.

You'd expect a player of his age, of his calibre to want to play at the very top. If he didn't I'd be worried.

Prior to the last match he scored the same at this stage as last season, in a struggling side.

Enjoy him while he is here. We'll sell him at profit at some point, and we'll miss him.

He's said this sort of thing before too. Its OK that he thinks about playing for a "bigger club", its OK that he secretly harbours hopes of using us as a stepping stone, its even OK (in the interests of achieving a 'win win' result with the club) for him to share this with the powers that be within Everton.

But to speak publicly about it, either not knowing or not caring how it will sound to the fans is not OK.

Much less saying it to the scum.

Bench him for the next game, and tell him he's got some way to go before anyone supposedly bigger than Everton will even look at him.

Change of avi for me then :(

Funny that if all these so called champions league players played to the level that they imagine themselves to be worthy of Everton would actually be at that level and there wouldn't be any need to go anywhere.

I understand your logic but I think the issue is that it's harder for sides in the England to qualify for the Champions League than it is for some in other countries. Our league is more competitive from that point of view.

Wolfsburg are second in Germany and all but nailed on for a Champions League place next season, yet we beat them twice and they didn't look at the same level as a Chelsea or Man City by any stretch.

I think the interesting point for players in the next 2-3 years will be once the new TV deal kicks in. English sides are going to have loads more money to spend on wages than pretty much all but the very top sides.

Will players still be harping on about Champions League football then? Or will they be more than happy to pick up a top wage in the Premiership?

I have no problems with his ambition. If it means we get a hungry and focused player next season and he leaves for £40m then thats football.

The reality is he's not lived up to expectation so far after a big transfer. In fact he hasn't twice now if you include his relative failure at Chelsea.
He's potential at the moment, thats all he is. He would of been dropped more this season if we'd had better options.

What worries me more is the complete lack of respect he's shown the manager. Who's openly defended his early season form this week.

Players are seemingly happy to talk to the media about such things this season (Mirallas). Which suggests Martinez perhaps doesn't have the respect of the players he'd like.

I love it when people slate Lukaku.

Conveniently forgetting the previous dozen or so strikers we've had who were beyond awful

Innit lad. He's scored 10 in 36 so he can say whatever he likes about the club in public, and give interviews to the fcuking Sun while he's at it. At least he's not Marcus Bent.

The timing of this is the worst thing about it for me. He hasn't lived up to expectations and has a lot to work on to become the player he can go on to be. I personally rate him very highly as he can go on to be one of the top goalscorers in Europe one day but there are areas of his game that are awful for a player with the price tag he has.

I do think football fans are deluded in their expectations of loyalty from players though. I'm not talking about the likes of Rooney who was supposed to be one of us. I understand him wanting to leave, although I don't agree at all with the season he left or the way he did it. But I don't expect any player who didn't grow up as one of us to be loyal to us if they aren't enjoying their time here.

It's a job at the end of the day. And any working person wants to better themselves if they have some ambition. You want more money and more success. There is nothing wrong with that. We are a club that at present, cannot give players success. I don't blame Mirallas for wanting to go and play in the Champions League if a team is willing to give him that chance.

What him and Mirallas do need to realise though is that they aren't good enough for Champions League football at the moment in my opinion. And for the quality we have in our team, some of the efforts we've been given from them this season has been a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back